The Lancet: Indigenous South American Group Has Healthiest Arteries Of All Populations Yet Studied

The Lancet: Indigenous South American group has healthiest arteries of all populations yet studied, providing clues to healthy lifestyle
Study estimates that an 80-year-old from the Tsimane group had the same vascular age as an American in their mid-50s
PUBLIC RELEASE: 17-MAR-2017

"Our study shows that the Tsimane indigenous South Americans have the lowest prevalence of coronary atherosclerosis of any population yet studied," said senior anthropology author, Professor Hillard Kaplan, University of New Mexico, USA. "Their lifestyle suggests that a diet low in saturated fats and high in non-processed fibre-rich carbohydrates, along with wild game and fish, not smoking and being active throughout the day could help prevent hardening in the arteries of the heart. "

While industrial populations are sedentary for more than half of their waking hours (54%), the Tsimane spend only 10% of their daytime being inactive. They live a subsistence lifestyle that involves hunting, gathering, fishing and farming, where men spend an average of 6-7 hours of their day being physically active and women spend 4-6 hours.

Their diet is largely carbohydrate-based (72%) and includes non-processed carbohydrates which are high in fibre such as rice, plantain, manioc, corn, nuts and fruits. Protein constitutes 14% of their diet and comes from animal meat. The diet is very low in fat with fat compromising only 14% of the diet - equivalent to an estimated 38 grams of fat each day, including 11g saturated fat and no trans fats. In addition, smoking was rare in the population.

"Over the last five years, new roads and the introduction of motorised canoes have dramatically increased access to the nearby market town to buy sugar and cooking oil," said Dr Ben Trumble, Arizona State University, USA. "This is ushering in major economic and nutritional changes for the Tsimane people."

J

James IV

"men spend an average of 6-7 hours of their day being physically active."

This.

x-ray peat

Its most likely due to the lower ratio of PUFA to SFAs and active lifestyle rather than the macro nutrient split. I was just listening on KMUD that before the advent of seed oils there was little to no cardio vascular disease in this country either.

x-ray peat

8 grams PUFA & 11 grams SFA per day
I just found this to support that.
The effects of polyunsaturated:saturated fatty acids ratios and peroxidisability index values of dietary fats on serum lipid profiles and hepatic e... - PubMed - NCBI
"
Abstract
Raising the dietary PUFA:saturated fatty acids (SFA) ratio has been recommended for the prevention of CVD. However, a high PUFA:SFA (P:S) ratio diet enhances oxidative stress because PUFA are highly susceptible to lipid peroxidation. Thus, we focused on the role of the dietary P:S ratio and peroxidisability index (PI) value on serum and liver tissue and investigated the effects of dietary P:S ratios (0.4, 1.0, and 4.8) with a fixed PI value (81) on serum lipid parameters and hepatic enzyme activities (experiment 1). To elucidate whether those phenomena were unique to the P:S ratio, we examined the effects of dietary PI values (36, 81, 126, and 217) with a constant P:S ratio (1.0) (experiment 2). Female Sprague-Dawley rats weighing 240-280 g were fed experimental diets for 4 weeks. When dietary PI value was maintained at 81, serum HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) increased with increasing dietary P:S ratio. When the P:S ratio was fixed at 1.0, HDL-C was the lowest with mid-low PI (MLPI) (PI value of 81). In both experiments, serum LDL-cholesterol:HDL-C ratio kept in the range of 0-2. The hepatic superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activities and thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) concentrations were the highest in the lowest dietary P:S ratio group (experiment 1). GSH-Px, glutathione-S-transferase, and TBARS were the lowest in rats fed the MLPI diet (experiment 2). In conclusion, these results indicate that a P:S ratio of 1.0-1.5 and a PI value of 80-90 in the diet are within a favourable range to reduce the risk of CVD."

RP right again

Mito

In conclusion, these results indicate that a P:S ratio of 1.0-1.5 and a PI value of 80-90 in the diet are within a favourable range to reduce the risk of CVD."
Has Ray ever talked about a P:S ratio? I think he's said a safe a amount of PUFA is 4-5 grams per day.

x-ray peat

I just googled a bit and found this "The age pigment contains proteins, cross-linked PUFA, and metals. The inhibition of proteolytic enzymes is involved in its accumulation, and the ratio of PUFA to saturated fatty acids is an important factor in its formation."

I don't think he uses the term "ratio" a lot but just by lowering the PUFA intake you lower the ratio.

I would add that he probably thinks that a low fat diet with a low ratio is better than a high fat diet with the same ratio. I would also think he would favor a high fat diet with a good ratio to a low fat diet with a bad ratio but I could be wrong here.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals