The Human Circadian Clock's Seasonal Adjustment Is Disrupted By Daylight Saving Time

whodathunkit

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME.

The reasons it was started during WWII are no longer valid and in fact probably cause more environmental problems than they cure due to the ubiquitousness of airconditioning these days.

They want to put all the world on just one timezone, anyway...

Interesting. Let's see if that goes through. Agree that daylight savings is an antiquated practice...

Could feel weird having breakfast at 17:00... well I'm used to that at least.

Thatisvital

How do you guys suggest fixing an complete out of wack circadian rhythm .I been going to bed 6 7 am for last weeks getting up 4 o'clock. the only method I concistntley use to get back to getting to bed early is pulling all nighters or hibernating till a new day from forced oversleep.

Birdie

KARIN JOHNSON ’99 was paying close attention earlier this month when the U.S. Senate voted on the Sunshine Protection Act, which would make daylight saving time permanent starting next year. When senators approved the bill—to the cheers of many Americans who loathe the time change each fall and spring—Johnson, director of the Baystate Medical Center Regional Sleep Program, was alarmed. This was a worst-case scenario....

“We don’t want to sit here and write papers that people don’t read or don’t do anything about,” says Elizabeth Klerman, professor of neurology in HMS’s division of sleep medicine, who is also a member of Save Standard Time. Next year, she and Czeisler will conduct a seminar on standard time at the Radcliffe Institute. “Just think of gun violence prevention or drunk driving,” she adds. Public health experts learned how to become effective advocates for evidence-based policies “many, many years ago. Cigarette smoking, that was a combination of law, public advocacy, public support, all sorts of education campaigns. We haven’t done that before. And we are learning how to do that now.”

Blossom

Forum Supporter
KARIN JOHNSON ’99 was paying close attention earlier this month when the U.S. Senate voted on the Sunshine Protection Act, which would make daylight saving time permanent starting next year. When senators approved the bill—to the cheers of many Americans who loathe the time change each fall and spring—Johnson, director of the Baystate Medical Center Regional Sleep Program, was alarmed. This was a worst-case scenario....

“We don’t want to sit here and write papers that people don’t read or don’t do anything about,” says Elizabeth Klerman, professor of neurology in HMS’s division of sleep medicine, who is also a member of Save Standard Time. Next year, she and Czeisler will conduct a seminar on standard time at the Radcliffe Institute. “Just think of gun violence prevention or drunk driving,” she adds. Public health experts learned how to become effective advocates for evidence-based policies “many, many years ago. Cigarette smoking, that was a combination of law, public advocacy, public support, all sorts of education campaigns. We haven’t done that before. And we are learning how to do that now.”
Good article birdie!

Herbie

I hate day light savings for the disruption to my sleep patterns and that every six months I am reminded that the governments control time and therefore it can control everything.

All I see that happens is more dog walkers at the parks in the evenings and joggers. And I get to see all the garbage littered along the roads when commute to from work.

Birdie

I agree with Herbie. Hate Day Light Savings. Love Standard time.

Johnson notes that in the past, sleep research in favor of permanent standard time has been eclipsed by lobbying on behalf of the golf and oil industries, for whom permanent daylight saving time would be beneficial because it would lead to greater activity later in the day—more people driving, shopping, or at the golf course.

Though sleep researchers have typically stayed away from political advocacy, many have started to become more vocal. Johnson directs Save Standard Time, a nonprofit founded in 2021 to advocate for permanent standard time. The group regularly meets with members of Congress to present evidence for the argument against daylight saving time.

Back
Top Bottom