The health effects of 1 - 2 drinks daily

atlee7757

I like Paqui Blaco because you can mix it with anything and it resembles vodka. My other favorite is 1921 Blanco. It has a butterscotch undertone, which mixes well with a little Mexican Coke. If you make it a short one with a splash of water and Coke it almost tastes like a good whiskey. I have tried 2 dozen of the best and those are my very favorites. Casamigos Blaco is tasty, with vanilla underones, but with it's 70 botanicals, it gave me some histamine issues. If you are wanting the good sleep then no more than 2 shots. Tequila is nice because it gives you a happy warm feeling rather than a "head change" drunk feeling.
I know I am very grateful for the job you have already performed: testing 2 dozen Tequilas is no small task.

I tried to find your 2 top choices here in Ontario, but couldn't. Any suggestion of number 3 or 4 on your list without any histamine reactions.

I have to ditch my collection of 12 and 18 year Scotch's because i am becoming very sensitive to reactions. Aging this stuff for that long in barrels that have already had sherry in them must create an absolute storm of chemicals to be wary of.

Keep up the good work!

I know I am very grateful for the job you have already performed: testing 2 dozen Tequilas is no small task.

I tried to find your 2 top choices here in Ontario, but couldn't. Any suggestion of number 3 or 4 on your list without any histamine reactions.

I have to ditch my collection of 12 and 18 year Scotch's because i am becoming very sensitive to reactions. Aging this stuff for that long in barrels that have already had sherry in them must create an absolute storm of chemicals to be wary of.

Keep up the good work!
These two are my close seconds.Tres Generations was my first favorite for a couple of years, very good, with a hint of pepper. El Sativo is my other favorite for a non-tequila, and a good vodka replacement. Yeah the aging process and the impurities that are left in dark liquors are hard on histamines and the liver. Let me know if you find these, Tres should be easier to find.

Attachments

• 20210721_112716.jpg
    20210721_112716.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 8

Keep up the good work!
And thank you atlee for your kind support, that makes me smile :)

Anecdotal but I know OLD Russians that drink a little bit each day with dinner, and get hammered at big events like weddings :) they were having shot competitions with their grand kids who are college age
I was thinking about your old Russian acquaintances. I bet those are some fun guys that have had a very full life and wouldn't change a thing. I bet they will outlive most of the "running around trying to enforce the rules" people :)

OP
J

Jack Earth

I was thinking about your old Russian acquaintances. I bet those are some fun guys that have had a very full life and wouldn't change a thing. I bet they will outlive most of the "running around trying to enforce the rules" people :)
They are very old, outlived a lot of my family that mostly never drank or smoked in their life I would love to have that much fun as an old man!
One grandpa at a Russian wedding asked me to do shots of very expensive vodka with him.
I tapped out after 3 shots he wanted to do another.
He looked at me in shock and asked "Are you man or are you baby"? :)

They are very old, outlived a lot of my family that mostly never drank or smoked in their life I would love to have that much fun as an old man!
One grandpa at a Russian wedding asked me to do shots of very expensive vodka with him.
I tapped out after 3 shots he wanted to do another.
He looked at me in shock and asked "Are you man or are you baby"? :)
Oh my gosh! Those are true "old school" men! Funny growing up my dad was a social drinker, and I, being the health concerned, would be upset that he would join in on a beer dinking contest with the younger guys and ALWAYS win! Of course he would, he is a husky full blooded German! Overall I just felt like he was somehow hurting himself. I only saw him for a two week school summer vacation once a year, where we would go skiing and he would "partake" because it was "fun time". The shocker was when I graduated and went to stay with him in "normal" life I didn't like him too much, and was anxious and happier for him to have a drink or two so he wasn't so he wouldn't be so grumpy to be around. My step-father was one who should never drink, a definite alcoholic, smoker, philanderer, abuser the whole shebang. The personality makes a great difference in the slippery slope. You being self aware and realizing pot wasn't behooving you is a far cry from anyone I would worry about. It sounds to me like you have a high IQ. People who care about their health are choosy, others like to gripe about what they don't approve of while shoveling in their pizza's, cookies and crappy ice cream. I gotta learn to tune them out better.

Keep up the good work!

Good you are switching atlee...

"Small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful." -Ray Peat

"People have very different reactions to it, probably depending on thyroid activity. It can have an antioxidant effect, but it can also cause hypoglycemia with pro-oxidative effects. If a person eats polyunsaturated fats, alcohol is more likely to cause oxidative reactions between iron and the fats." -Ray Peat

OP
J

Jack Earth

"People have very different reactions to it, probably depending on thyroid activity. It can have an antioxidant effect, but it can also cause hypoglycemia with pro-oxidative effects. If a person eats polyunsaturated fats, alcohol is more likely to cause oxidative reactions between iron and the fats." -Ray Peat
Thank you for that!

OP
J

Jack Earth

Oh my gosh! Those are true "old school" men! Funny growing up my dad was a social drinker, and I, being the health concerned, would be upset that he would join in on a beer dinking contest with the younger guys and ALWAYS win! Of course he would, he is a husky full blooded German! Overall I just felt like he was somehow hurting himself. I only saw him for a two week school summer vacation once a year, where we would go skiing and he would "partake" because it was "fun time". The shocker was when I graduated and went to stay with him in "normal" life I didn't like him too much, and was anxious and happier for him to have a drink or two so he wasn't so he wouldn't be so grumpy to be around. My step-father was one who should never drink, a definite alcoholic, smoker, philanderer, abuser the whole shebang. The personality makes a great difference in the slippery slope. You being self aware and realizing pot wasn't behooving you is a far cry from anyone I would worry about. It sounds to me like you have a high IQ. People who care about their health are choosy, others like to gripe about what they don't approve of while shoveling in their pizza's, cookies and crappy ice cream. I gotta learn to tune them out better.
I know Germans too, I did business in Germany once and we had 2 hour lunch breaks daily and everyone had 2 cocktails with lunch. I was drunk when we got back to work while they were completely fine lol

Russian men still take on very masculine roles and protect their family and women. MMA and sambo are huge there.

The 2 greatest martial artists of all time are Russian. Fedor emelinenko and khabib nurmagedov.

I def believe Ray that weed is estrogenic, I would not want to get into a self defense situation while stoned lol

"Pure colorless highly distilled alcohol is the safest. It can have antioxidant effects, but in some people it can interfere with the respiratory enzymes and lower blood sugar. Fructose is protective against some of its toxic effects." Ray Peat

I know Germans too, I did business in Germany once and we had 2 hour lunch breaks daily and everyone had 2 cocktails with lunch. I was drunk when we got back to work while they were completely fine lol

Russian men still take on very masculine roles and protect their family and women. MMA and sambo are huge there.

The 2 greatest martial artists of all time are Russian. Fedor emelinenko and khabib nurmagedov.

I def believe Ray that weed is estrogenic, I would not want to get into a self defense situation while stoned lol
You'd be doing it in slow motion ?

Ledo

That being said, alcohol is also such a slippery slope and I've witnessed far too many people getting reckless with it, doing a full 180° and completely going nuts. Not to mention all the drunk driving, domestical abuse..it's horrible really. Alcohol is really very addictive, with little to no benefits in grand scheme of things.
Some need a little trigger in their life, a little problem appearing for consumption to go up.
When people use alcohol to make up a calorie deficit and I suspect a nutrient deficit too, they run the risk of what you describe above.

An example;

Lady wants to lose weight. Not knowing how to do it correctly (bio-energetics), she starves or otherwise deprives herself of proper nutrition - but manages to run a calorie deficit and lose weight over some time period. Lady notices a drink or two, some white wine maybe, makes her feel much, much, better including feeling more energetic. It even abates hunger and warms her up. Feeling good while controlling weight? That is a winning combination!

The problem is over time she runs a nutrient deficit as the alcohol doesn't provide for that. Other drawbacks related to Alcohol intake rear their head and health worsens. Muscle mass lessons, fat may even be increasing. General metabolism drops and now it is very easy to gain weight eating any more food. What to do? Drink more of course and feel the compensation for a while. Then rinse and repeat.

When people use alcohol to make up a calorie deficit and I suspect a nutrient deficit too, they run the risk of what you describe above.

An example;

Lady wants to lose weight. Not knowing how to do it correctly (bio-energetics), she starves or otherwise deprives herself of proper nutrition - but manages to run a calorie deficit and lose weight over some time period. Lady notices a drink or two, some white wine maybe, makes her feel much, much, better including feeling more energetic. It even abates hunger and warms her up. Feeling good while controlling weight? That is a winning combination!

The problem is over time she runs a nutrient deficit as the alcohol doesn't provide for that. Other drawbacks related to Alcohol intake rear their head and health worsens. Muscle mass lessons, fat may even be increasing. General metabolism drops and now it is very easy to gain weight eating any more food. What to do? Drink more of course and feel the compensation for a while. Then rinse and repeat.
Sounds like a dieter to me, not a Ray "Peater".

An example;

Hmmmm how long does it take for this horrible outcome take place, since I have been enjoying a couple of cocktails here and there 30 years? How much time do I have left doc? ?

Last edited:

Ledo

Hmmmm how long does it take for this horrible outcome take place, since I have been enjoying a couple of cocktails here and there 30 years? How much time do I have left doc? ?
Your sarcasm is off putting, have you been drinking?

I replied to somebody else's post in this thread. I suggest you go read it for context.

Your sarcasm is off putting, have you been drinking?

I replied to somebody else's post in this thread. I suggest you go read it for context.
Not since friday, but I didn't appreciate your Rinse & repeat sarcasm.

Ledo

Not since friday, but I didn't appreciate your Rinse & repeat sarcasm.
It wasn't sarcastic. Its a common phrase in this case used to suggest a vicious spiral.

The post by equipose was a good one, I gave an example. Relax and have a drink why don't you.