The health effects of 1 - 2 drinks daily

Anecdotal but I know OLD Russians that drink a little bit each day with dinner, and get hammered at big events like weddings :) they were having shot competitions with their grand kids who are college age
Thanks Jack! You make me smile! I think how how long you live is party from how much you laugh and are happy, and tequila sure is good for that: )

Ray eats rice, tortillas and even chicken wings once in a while. He's a fan of variety and eating things for enjoyment, the so called Ray Peat diet is far more rigid than what the man himself practices.
He actually says he thinks it's silly that there is even such a thing as a Ray Prat diet. He gives you scientific tools so you can weigh your life to get what you want out of it.

Ray eats rice, tortillas and even chicken wings once in a while. He's a fan of variety and eating things for enjoyment, the so called Ray Peat diet is far more rigid than what the man himself practices.

Moreover, Ray has also spoken favourably about ethanol/alcohol in recent years and I think has said that 1oz of clear (yeast-free) liquor is quite safe and can provide certain unique benefits, particularly for lipofuscin.

It's been a positive addition to my life that's for sure.
I am so happy to hear that!

Don't worry too much about it. I agree with you that a little alcohol (tequila is great!) is protective and there is more than enough evidence to be secure in that position.
Thank you Mr.chibbs for always being a calming and positive voice of reason :)

mrchibbs

Thank you Mr.chibbs for always being a calming and positive voice of reason :)

And thanks for sharing your perspective. Life is too short for animosity :)

And thanks for sharing your perspective. Life is too short for animosity :)

The rude comment about "go find some other hard drug" was uncalled for and i was happy to go "there". I don't need to kumbaya with people like that. ?

equipoise

There's little things that can compare to the needle hitting the ole vinyl and you tune in to some old ZZ Top or Lynyrd Skynyrd whilst enjoying a beer/tequila/whatever. More so if you're playing it. Alcohol in small quantities definitely enhances experience. I'm sure all the good times and laughing can compensate for any negative effects, because we've learned that socialization is extremely neglected and not enough talked about subject. The levels of allop for instance drop significantly in isolation. Thus depression and learned helplessness often occurs in such cases.

That being said, alcohol is also such a slippery slope and I've witnessed far too many people getting reckless with it, doing a full 180° and completely going nuts. Not to mention all the drunk driving, domestical abuse..it's horrible really. Alcohol is really very addictive, with little to no benefits in grand scheme of things.
Some need a little trigger in their life, a little problem appearing for consumption to go up.

On some of the latest streams of generative energy, Danny asked Ray about alcohol and lipofuscin and Ray completely dodged the question and of course picked some other substance in replacement. It's not even close.

But there's obviously two sides to the coin and if someone is responsible enough (whatever that means) I'm sure the occasional dive in the glass can be enjoyable, fun and relaxing experience.

OP
J

Jack Earth

There's little things that can compare to the needle hitting the ole vinyl and you tune in to some old ZZ Top or Lynyrd Skynyrd whilst enjoying a beer/tequila/whatever. More so if you're playing it. Alcohol in small quantities definitely enhances experience. I'm sure all the good times and laughing can compensate for any negative effects, because we've learned that socialization is extremely neglected and not enough talked about subject. The levels of allop for instance drop significantly in isolation. Thus depression and learned helplessness often occurs in such cases.

That being said, alcohol is also such a slippery slope and I've witnessed far too many people getting reckless with it, doing a full 180° and completely going nuts. Not to mention all the drunk driving, domestical abuse..it's horrible really. Alcohol is really very addictive, with little to no benefits in grand scheme of things.
Some need a little trigger in their life, a little problem appearing for consumption to go up.

On some of the latest streams of generative energy, Danny asked Ray about alcohol and lipofuscin and Ray completely dodged the question and of course picked some other substance in replacement. It's not even close.

But there's obviously two sides to the coin and if someone is responsible enough (whatever that means) I'm sure the occasional dive in the glass can be enjoyable, fun and relaxing experience.
Very addictive, drunk driving, and domestic abuse?
I was asking about health effect of 1 or 2 drinks not a bottle per day

equipoise

Very addictive, drunk driving, and domestic abuse?
I was asking about health effect of 1 or 2 drinks not a bottle per day
Yes and I'm drawing a parallel of 1-2 drinks per day. Everyone starts with 1-2 drinks per day. I couldn't care less about alcohol. I'm just giving a different view to it.

If hypothetically you consume 1 standard drink everyday and don't go overboard then sure, it might be "okay".

And drunk driving / deaths happen from as little as one to two drinks, yeah. You'd be surprised how little is necessary to intoxicate someone and slow the reaction times, massively.

My intention was not to be a buzzkill, rather give some insight. Thus the first part of my original paragraph stating how fun it is to do certain things under the influence, and how easily that can go over the top. :)

OP
J

Jack Earth

Yes and I'm drawing a parallel of 1-2 drinks per day. Everyone starts with 1-2 drinks per day. I couldn't care less about alcohol. I'm just giving a different view to it.

If hypothetically you consume 1 standard drink everyday and don't go overboard then sure, it might be "okay".

And drunk driving / deaths happen from as little as one to two drinks, yeah. You'd be surprised how little is necessary to intoxicate someone and slow the reaction times, massively.

My intention was not to be a buzzkill, rather give some insight. Thus the first part of my original paragraph stating how fun it is to do certain things under the influence, and how easily that can go over the top. :)

Yes obviously if you don't stick to 1 or 2 drinks and do 6 or 7 drinks a day would be quite a different story.
This a niche forum focused on health I'm sure people here have some self control and don't need a warning like that.
Your post is very hypothetical if someone goes overboard to the point of turning violent yes it's a serious problem lol

equipoise

Yes obviously if you don't stick to 1 or 2 drinks and do 6 or 7 drinks a day would be quite a different story.
This a niche forum focused on health I'm sure people here have some self control and don't need a warning like that.
Your post is very hypothetical if someone goes overboard to the point of turning violent yes it's a serious problem lol
I also said that the man himself, of which the forum is named after, says there are better things than any amount of alcohol.
Warnings should be given, nevermind the "niche forum" aspect. It's not like anyone is infallible here just because they chose to subscribe to the counter culture and its ideas. That being said, I also don't want to be a buzzkill and would like anyone to enjoy whatever they wish to. Keep goin!

OP
J

Jack Earth

I also said that the man himself, of which the forum is named after, says there are better things than any amount of alcohol.
Warnings should be given, nevermind the "niche forum" aspect. It's not like anyone is infallible here just because they chose to subscribe to the counter culture and its ideas. That being said, I also don't want to be a buzzkill and would like anyone to enjoy whatever they wish to. Keep goin!
Let's focus on what Ray said then. That's all I'm curious about is the health effects a drink or 2 a day.
Nobody here is going that overboard to start beating their partner not necessary for you to warn against that.
What did Ray say?

mrchibbs

Let's focus on what Ray said then. That's all I'm curious about is the health effects a drink or 2 a day.
Nobody here is going that overboard to start beating their partner not necessary for you to warn against that.
What did Ray say?

Ray has spoken several times positively about small quantities of alcohol over the past couple years. I've been listening to his podcasts almost religiously since 2018.

OP
J

Jack Earth

Ray has spoken several times positively about small quantities of alcohol over the past couple years. I've been listening to his podcasts almost religiously since 2018.
Ok cool. I just realized I've spoken to equipoise before. Hes the pro weed guy very anti alcohol and says in control drinkers are a step away from alcoholics

mrchibbs

Ok cool. I just realized I've spoken to equipoise before. Hes the pro weed guy very anti alcohol and says in control drinkers are a step away from alcoholics

It's fine. Everybody has different perspectives. But to me implying that a moderate drinker is on a slippery slope to alcoholism is like saying that weed is a gateway to hard drugs.

It's simply not true.

OP
J

Jack Earth

It's fine. Everybody has different perspectives. But to me implying that a moderate drinker is on a slippery slope to alcoholism is like saying that weed is a gateway to hard drugs.

It's simply not true.
That's true i'm sure he takes a lot of unfair criticism for weed too.
But for me personally it's been amazing quitting weed. It's been almost a week now and my energy is through the roof compared to before, and way lower stress.
My paranoid thoughts, unreasonable fears and social anxieties have completely ended since quitting.

Actually some of your posts on hairloss and stress inspired me to quit.
The alcohol has been a huge help. It doesn't disrupt my life in any way and offers me the altered state of consciousness.

mrchibbs

That's true i'm sure he takes a lot of unfair criticism for weed too.
But for me personally it's been amazing quitting weed. It's been almost a week now and my energy is through the roof compared to before, and way lower stress.
My paranoid thoughts, unreasonable fears and social anxieties have completely ended since quitting.

Actually some of your posts on hairloss and stress inspired me to quit.
The alcohol has been a huge help. It doesn't disrupt my life in any way and offers me the altered state of consciousness.

Thanks! I think on this forum we must accept and respect different point of views and support one another and try to get away from the rest of the society which offers no real solution to most issues, and has been going nuts over the past year. At the core we all want to feel better and return to a more optimal state of health (and that includes hair of course).

I'm glad you feel better since stopping weed, and for sure I'm not saying alcohol is a panacea, I too feel great relief from one drink or so but I get diminishing returns after that, so I just stick to one because I notice it has a measurable stress-lowering effect.

Having a cocktail with friends is an enjoyable experience, or even by yourself listening to a good record, and I think it's really enjoyable part of the day. And there appears to be clear benefits with those small amounts of alcohol too, so might as well.

OP
J

Jack Earth

Thanks! I think on this forum we must accept and respect different point of views and support one another and try to get away from the rest of the society which offers no real solution to most issues, and has been going nuts over the past year. At the core we all want to feel better and return to a more optimal state of health (and that includes hair of course).

I'm glad you feel better since stopping weed, and for sure I'm not saying alcohol is a panacea, I too feel great relief from one drink or so but I get diminishing returns after that, so I just stick to one because I notice it has a measurable stress-lowering effect.

Having a cocktail with friends is an enjoyable experience, or even by yourself listening to a good record, and I think it's really enjoyable part of the day. And there appears to be clear benefits with those small amounts of alcohol too, so might as well.

Very true I'll try to support people here too.
And by far the biggest improvements for me have been quitting weed, not the consuming of alcohol.
I'm sober now all the time compared to stoned. I can drink just at night and that has been a huge help.
But all the main benefits I got are from being sober and not stoned.
Consuming alcohol is a much smaller part of this but it def helps!
Yoga class has helped a lot too. I used think about yoga while stoned but too much social anxiety to actually go to the class lol