The health effects of 1 - 2 drinks daily

dukesbobby777

Where did this viewpoint arrive on this forum that homeless people generally have healthy hair? I used to work with homeless people and lots of them don’t have healthy hair.

It’s also a generalisation to associate homeless people with alcohol. Many of them do drink, but a fair old proportion of them also don’t touch it.

Also you have to consider how long they’ve been homeless. People on the streets who have spent 95% of their lives living like you and me (normal lives with accommodation) are not going to be all that relevant in being a healthy (or unhealthy) head of hair statistic.

Fat​

Studies examining high-fat diets find conflicting results. Some find fats propagate alcohol’s effects on the intestine, and some find they attenuate alcohol’s harmful effects. The contrast likely reflects the variety of fats found in high-fat foods. Generally, studies seem to support the idea that unsaturated fats increase gut permeability and some kinds of saturated fats are protective.

Studies have examined the effects of several types of saturated fats given as supplements to alcohol-exposed mice. One (Cresci et al. 2014) found that tributyrin, a triglyceride fat found in butter and margarine, prevented alcohol-induced tight-junction disruption, which in turn protects against intestinal hyperpermeability. Another (Chen et al. 2015a) examined saturated long-chain fatty acids (SLCFAs), which are found in coconut oil, peanut oil, and dairy products. The researchers observed that the intestinal bacteria in mice chronically fed ethanol produced far less SLCFAs than mice not fed ethanol, and they also had lower levels of tight-junction proteins. That changed after the researchers gave the ethanol-fed mice SLCFA supplementation. Indeed, the mice given supplementation had higher levels of tight-junction proteins than ethanol-fed mice without supplementation. SLCFA supplements also prevented dysbiosis (Chen et al. 2015a).

Unsaturated fats had less favorable effects. In one study (Kirpich et al. 2012), mice fed alcohol and unsaturated fats had increased fatty liver changes and suppressed mRNA expression of tight-junction proteins compared with mice fed alcohol and saturated fat. These findings suggest that an unsaturated-fat diet in conjunction with chronic alcohol use increases intestinal permeability.

To the "fat" point, when i did my weight loss experiment on my post "Lose Fat Not Pounds" I still had my tequila and lost fat. I don't think that is the case for other alcohols, but tequila staying in my diet didn't make a difference for me. Again it depends on what you are drinking, how much you are drinking and how often you are drinking. All drinks are not created equal.

"According to a new study, the sugars present in tequila are beneficial for your health and can aid in weight loss. The researchers also found that agavins produced a hormone called GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) that helps stomach feel full. New Delhi: Turns out, drinking tequila can help you shed those extra pounds.Jul 26"

PeskyPeater

it has been proven that even one glass of alcohol is damaging to the vili of the gut and alter gut microbes. but take it with saturated fats its kind of protective. But not really, generally the standard glass amount of alcohol in one drinnk is damaging to be healthy and negatively impact thyroid function and shifts sugar burning towards fat burning. I find that ppl that are fond of alcohol tend to be ignorant to that. I advise those to take uridine monophosphate and protein rich meals to repair damage to intestinal cells. and look for another hard drug.

Where did this viewpoint arrive on this forum that homeless people generally have healthy hair? I used to work with homeless people and lots of them don’t have healthy hair.

It’s also a generalisation to associate homeless people with alcohol. Many of them do drink, but a fair old proportion of them also don’t touch it.

Also you have to consider how long they’ve been homeless. People on the streets who have spent 95% of their lives living like you and me (normal lives with accommodation) are not going to be all that relevant in being a healthy (or unhealthy) head of hair statistic.
I said the same thing as you Duke, but Jack explained why :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210720-150245_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-150245_Outlook.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 14
it has been proven that even one glass of alcohol is damaging to the vili of the gut and alter gut microbes. but take it with saturated fats its kind of protective. But not really, generally the standard glass amount of alcohol in one drinnk is damaging to be healthy and negatively impact thyroid function and shifts sugar burning towards fat burning. I find that ppl that are fond of alcohol tend to be ignorant to that. I advise those to take uridine monophosphate and protein rich meals to repair damage to intestinal cells. and look for another hard drug.
Well to each his own. Two orange juice and tequila drinks at night keeps me from snacking the night away, and I know where that road leads and it isn't pretty either. I have no digestive problems, ZERO, thanks to tequila doing a good job helping.

Talk about hard drugs, my mom and her husband BOTH died of prescription drug overdoses. The doctor prescribed drugs, fast food and aerobic exercise are FAR more harmful to a body than a couple of tequila drinks every now and then. Thanks for the warnings though :)

"You can consume alcohol and live to a happy 100, even up to one drink daily for women, two for men. We know from blue zones centenarians that this is true: People in four original blue zones areas drink alcohol moderately and regularly. The trick is to drink one to two glasses per day with friends and/or with food."

PeskyPeater

To the "fat" point, when i did my weight loss experiment on my post "Lose Fat Not Pounds" I still had my tequila and lost fat. I don't think that is the case for other alcohols, but tequila staying in my diet didn't make a difference for me. Again it depends on what you are drinking, how much you are drinking and how often you are drinking. All drinks are not created equal.

"According to a new study, the sugars present in tequila are beneficial for your health and can aid in weight loss. The researchers also found that agavins produced a hormone called GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) that helps stomach feel full. New Delhi: Turns out, drinking tequila can help you shed those extra pounds.Jul 26"

No, I disagree, the alcohol is a form of energy that can be used for cells, it doesnt matter if there are some sugars in it. for alchl shifts the balance towords fat burning and liberates free fdatty acids from tissue PUFA burning and inducing the stress cascade. of course you will be burning dfats when enforcing metabolism towards PUFA burning but in the long run its potentiating mitochondrial respiratory dysfunction .

"Results

we found statistically significant positive associations between baseline alcohol intake and the probability of reaching 90 years in both men and women. Overall, the highest probability of reaching 90 was found in those consuming 5– < 15 g/d alcohol, with RR = 1.36 (95% CI, 1.20–1.55) when compared with abstainers. "The exposure-response relationship was significantly non-linear in women, but not in men. Wine intake was positively associated with longevity (notably in women), whereas liquor was positively associated with longevity in men and inversely in women. Binge drinking pointed towards an inverse relationship with longevity. Alcohol intake was associated with longevity in those without and with a history of selected diseases.

Conclusions

the highest probability of reaching 90 years was found for those drinking 5– < 15 g alcohol/day. Although not significant, the risk estimates also indicate to avoid binge drinking."

PeskyPeater

Do you ever see mokeys that eat fermenting fruits eat from that source of alcohol all day? no the stop eating bad fruit and eat from sticks with insects to recouperate their metabolsim and get back on the right track. intoxication in nature is meant do drive you back to your original natural diet.

I don't really know why you think this is such a one sided argument. I can match everyone of your negative studies with just as many good studies and a bunch of personal experiences to go with them. If you have had negative effects from alcohol than I appreciate your passion, but long living cultures haven't cut any years off their life relaxing and laughing with a couple of drinks. Heaven forbid my dad has one though, with his acid reflux, from continually shoveling in the breads and cookies. That would definitely fit your studies scenerio where the bad outweighs the good. I am sure though you don't eat gut damaging grains either, am I right?

Do you ever see mokeys that eat fermenting fruits eat from that source of alcohol all day? no the stop eating bad fruit and eat from sticks with insects to recouperate their metabolsim and get back on the right track. intoxication in nature is meant do drive you back to your original natural diet.
Well I don't know how bad it could be in moderation when Jesus turned water into wine for a wedding. That would be like black magic wouldn't it? Conjuring up evil ?

PeskyPeater

I don't really know why you think this is such a one sided argument. I can match everyone of your negative studies with just as many good studies and a bunch of personal experiences to go with them. If you have had negative effects from alcohol than I appreciate your passion, but long living cultures haven't cut any years off their life relaxing and laughing with a couple of drinks. Heaven forbid my dad has one though, with his acid reflux, from continually shoveling in the breads and cookies. That would definitely fit your studies scenerio where the bad outweighs the good. I am sure though you don't eat gut damaging grains either, am I right?
'' one sided argument'' it is not that, its is only your subjective interpretation of it . you are reducing it to a 2 dimentional concept whcih I think is simplisticly incorrect.,

'' one sided argument'' it is not that, its is only your subjective interpretation of it . you are reducing it to a 2 dimentional concept whcih I think is simplisticly incorrect.,
And so be it Pesky, because my proof is in the pudding. I am not fat, sick, on suppliments, medications,thyroid or heading to the doctor for every ache and pain at 58 years old. So don't tell me you internet studies compare. Throw your pic up here on this thread and let's see how not drinking has been serving you. Again thanks for your warnings, like non of us have heard them before. Here is mine.

Attachments

• 20210716_190533.jpg
    20210716_190533.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 46
Remember Pesky how bad Ray Peat says bacon is? Even Ray Peat eats bacon every once in awhile. Sounds like you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment in life trying make everybod heed studies. We all know, we have been warned. ?

OP
J

Jack Earth

"Results

we found statistically significant positive associations between baseline alcohol intake and the probability of reaching 90 years in both men and women. Overall, the highest probability of reaching 90 was found in those consuming 5– < 15 g/d alcohol, with RR = 1.36 (95% CI, 1.20–1.55) when compared with abstainers. "The exposure-response relationship was significantly non-linear in women, but not in men. Wine intake was positively associated with longevity (notably in women), whereas liquor was positively associated with longevity in men and inversely in women. Binge drinking pointed towards an inverse relationship with longevity. Alcohol intake was associated with longevity in those without and with a history of selected diseases.

Conclusions

the highest probability of reaching 90 years was found for those drinking 5– < 15 g alcohol/day. Although not significant, the risk estimates also indicate to avoid binge drinking."

Anecdotal but I know OLD Russians that drink a little bit each day with dinner, and get hammered at big events like weddings :) they were having shot competitions with their grand kids who are college age

mrchibbs

The effect of alcohol on the HPT axis is significant and alcohol consumption affects almost all aspects of the functioning of the thyroid gland. Given the comorbidity of mood disorders in alcoholism and the relation of mood disorders with hypothyroidism, these findings open up interesting theoretical possibilities to explain the increased occurrence of mood disorders in alcoholism. Although current studies have mostly looked into the effect of alcohol on the neuro-endocrine axis, such associations are rarely unidirectional. The altered thyroid levels in withdrawal may adversely affect alcohol abstinence by changing the hormonal milieu in the brain, increasing withdrawal dysphoria, and increasing craving. At present, such studies are few and upcoming, but it creates the possibility of understanding and treating alcohol use disorders from a whole new perspective.

The mechanisms whereby alcohol exposure leads to increased intestinal permeability to endotoxin and subsequent injury to the liver and other organs have been presented in Figure 1. Alcohol exposure can promote the growth of Gram negative bacteria in the intestine which may result in accumulation of endotoxin. In addition, alcohol metabolism by Gram negative bacteria and intestinal epithelial cells can result in accumulation of acetaldehyde, which in turn can increase intestinal permeability to endotoxin. Alcohol-induced generation of nitric oxide may also contribute to increased permeability to endotoxin. Increased intestinal permeability to endotoxin leads to increased transfer of endotoxin from the intestine to the portal vein which carries endotoxin to the liver where it binds to Kupffer cells and initiates a cascade of events leading to TNF-α production and liver injury. Endotoxin that escapes to general circulation may induce injury to other organs. A part of TNF- α produced in the liver may reach to intestine via bile duct or general circulation and further increase intestinal permeability to endotoxin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=2614138_nihms-69177-f0001.jpg

As usual, there is a wide difference between ''alcoholism'' and drinking a daily cocktail. One cocktail will not likely affect intestinal permeability to a great degree. Moreover, cocktails usually contain fructose, which is protective. If you drink your cocktail with a snack contained saturated fat, even less chances of adverse effects.

In small daily amounts, this is where alcohol's protective effects are felt. I think 1-2oz of tequila, gin or any clear liquor has all the benefits without the adverse effects.

mrchibbs

Remember Pesky how bad Ray Peat says bacon is? Even Ray Peat eats bacon every once in awhile. Sounds like you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment in life trying make everybod heed studies. We all know, we have been warned. ?

Ray eats rice, tortillas and even chicken wings once in a while. He's a fan of variety and eating things for enjoyment, the so called Ray Peat diet is far more rigid than what the man himself practices.

mrchibbs

Ray eats rice, tortillas and even chicken wings once in a while. He's a fan of variety and eating things for enjoyment, the so called Ray Peat diet is far more rigid than what the man himself practices.

Moreover, Ray has also spoken favourably about ethanol/alcohol in recent years and I think has said that 1oz of clear (yeast-free) liquor is quite safe and can provide certain unique benefits, particularly for lipofuscin.

It's been a positive addition to my life that's for sure.

mrchibbs

And so be it Pesky, because my proof is in the pudding. I am not fat, sick, on suppliments, medications,thyroid or heading to the doctor for every ache and pain at 58 years old. So don't tell me you internet studies compare. Throw your pic up here on this thread and let's see how not drinking has been serving you. Again thanks for your warnings, like non of us have heard them before. Here is mine.

Don't worry too much about it. I agree with you that a little alcohol (tequila is great!) is protective and there is more than enough evidence to be secure in that position.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals