The health effects of 1 - 2 drinks daily

OP
J

Jack Earth

Yeah sadly nothing to be proud of. It was normal at the school were I went to so I picked it up quite young, family life was a bit tragic in those days for me and I didn't really have an outlet (had stopped playing sports seriously between 12-15 due to circumstances) so weed made me feel a bit better I guess. Then for the next decade it was a regular habit, although as I got sicker and sicker in my 20s I started to recognize the effects were getting mostly negative. While as a teenager it made me feel very calm and euphoric even when I smoked a ***t ton or even had edibles, I started to experience the paranoia and anxiety effects as my health took a plunge.

I'm fairly certain I won't smoke it ever again, especially since my worst symptoms over the past couple of years have been related to my lungs.

1-2 two drinks hits the spot, according to the literature that's the sweet spot to get the benefits and it's more than enough to take the edge off at the end of the day.
Wow could never tell by reading your posts that you'd have such a backstory. Good job turning things around, my biggest reasons for quitting weed were the effect on positive thinking. I'd start thinking paranoid thoughts. Plus laziness and energy reduction. I'm 10x more productive and energetic than when I'm smoking.
I was just simply addicted to the high or the altered state of consciousness.

Peater

I like Paqui Blaco because you can mix it with anything and it resembles vodka. My other favorite is 1921 Blanco. It has a butterscotch undertone, which mixes well with a little Mexican Coke. If you make it a short one with a splash of water and Coke it almost tastes like a good whiskey. I have tried 2 dozen of the best and those are my very favorites. Casamigos Blaco is tasty, with vanilla underones, but with it's 70 botanicals, it gave me some histamine issues. If you are wanting the good sleep then no more than 2 shots. Tequila is nice because it gives you a happy warm feeling rather than a "head change" drunk feeling.
Awesome thanks!

equipoise

Weed can be good in certain scenarios, extremely good. I remember my friend being ultra productive at his college, out of the box approach to studying and stuff, quite dopaminergic. All A's, virtually never skipped. He loved his major. You'd never tell he was a pothead, although he went through an once in a month or so. No alcohol though and he vaped.

What I'm trying to say it's not all black and white. Proper marijuana high requires high thyroid function and a fed state (high carbs), otherwise your blood sugar plummets and you start feeling weak and anxious. Tolerance is a big factor aswell. Modern weed is so strong I can only get by with a couple of hits, and for some reason folk like to show off and smoke multiple joints of high thc strains, and then of course the laziness and unproductivity settles in, you're just way too high you wanna lay down.

Here in Europe we mix our joints with tobacco - spliffs. And every once in a while I'll have a toke or two whilst playing music, painting, reading a book. Did I mention how crazy good weed is for mind muscle connection in weightlifting? Some of my best workouts back in the day were when I got a little buzz going on. Extra edge, extra focus. There's definitely some strange things happening with cannabis.

I'd also rather choose smoking weed everyday than drinking alcohol, alcohol is a big social lubricant, I'll give him that but at the same time whole body destroyer.

Sure, a drink or so a day isn't damaging, and might even be beneficial, but let's not kid ourselves, most "in control" drinkers are just a step away from being alcoholics, and you can't blame them, the culture surrounding alcohol is vile and greedy.

.2c

SOMO

I haven't smoked pot in 2 years after smoking daily for about 10 years.

Never looked back and the only time I crave it is when I'm bored and am not doing a good job entertaining myself to pass the time. There is some benefit in feeling "pure" in the sense that you don't use any drug to alter your mood drastically. I mean, Methylene Blue might modify your mood, but not in the same way 1 puff of marijuana will.

I drink some yeast-free alcohol like Tequila a few times a month, if I feel like it. If I do drink, it is at night to help me relax and I don't go out and party drunk. I will sometimes have 1/4th a cup of tequila, combine with juice and that is enough for me. I also take Niacinamide sometime before or after drinking to keep the liver functioning, because too much alcohol is not good for the liver (this is not a myth, I hope everyone is aware.)

OP
J

Jack Earth

Weed can be good in certain scenarios, extremely good. I remember my friend being ultra productive at his college, out of the box approach to studying and stuff, quite dopaminergic. All A's, virtually never skipped. He loved his major. You'd never tell he was a pothead, although he went through an once in a month or so. No alcohol though and he vaped.

What I'm trying to say it's not all black and white. Proper marijuana high requires high thyroid function and a fed state (high carbs), otherwise your blood sugar plummets and you start feeling weak and anxious. Tolerance is a big factor aswell. Modern weed is so strong I can only get by with a couple of hits, and for some reason folk like to show off and smoke multiple joints of high thc strains, and then of course the laziness and unproductivity settles in, you're just way too high you wanna lay down.

Here in Europe we mix our joints with tobacco - spliffs. And every once in a while I'll have a toke or two whilst playing music, painting, reading a book. Did I mention how crazy good weed is for mind muscle connection in weightlifting? Some of my best workouts back in the day were when I got a little buzz going on. Extra edge, extra focus. There's definitely some strange things happening with cannabis.

I'd also rather choose smoking weed everyday than drinking alcohol, alcohol is a big social lubricant, I'll give him that but at the same time whole body destroyer.

Sure, a drink or so a day isn't damaging, and might even be beneficial, but let's not kid ourselves, most "in control" drinkers are just a step away from being alcoholics, and you can't blame them, the culture surrounding alcohol is vile and greedy.

.2c
Good to hear your viewpoint. I think many people feel the benefits you do as well.
It's not black and white.
For me right now quitting is the best option due to how addicted I am.
Maybe in the future when I have the addiction under control I can enjoy a few puffs here and there.
I'll have the exact opposite effect as you in the gym. It's always a relaxant for me. Joe Rogan enjoys the muscle connection too and does BJJ on it. But for me it's a relaxant 100% of the time. It's never helped my workouts. The black and white thing goes both ways :);

OP
J

Jack Earth

I haven't smoked pot in 2 years after smoking daily for about 10 years.

Never looked back and the only time I crave it is when I'm bored and am not doing a good job entertaining myself to pass the time. There is some benefit in feeling "pure" in the sense that you don't use any drug to alter your mood drastically. I mean, Methylene Blue might modify your mood, but not in the same way 1 puff of marijuana will.

I drink some yeast-free alcohol like Tequila a few times a month, if I feel like it. If I do drink, it is at night to help me relax and I don't go out and party drunk. I will sometimes have 1/4th a cup of tequila, combine with juice and that is enough for me. I also take Niacinamide sometime before or after drinking to keep the liver functioning, because too much alcohol is not good for the liver (this is not a myth, I hope everyone is aware.)

Good to hear your view , I'll keep that in mind, I have some niacinamide

mostlylurking

I was reading posts in the hair section how alcohol can help with breaking down calcification which is why homeless can have a ton of hair despite having horrible nutrition.
Can having 1-2 drinks daily be healthy or beneficial?
I like tequila with juice and apple ciders.
I'm not drinking any beer.

Chronic alcohol consumption and intestinal thiamin absorption: effects on physiological and molecular parameters of the uptake process​

Abstract​

Thiamin is essential for normal cellular functions, and its deficiency leads to a variety of clinical abnormalities. Humans and other mammals obtain the vitamin via intestinal absorption. The intestine is exposed to two sources of thiamin, a dietary and a bacterial (i.e., normal microflora of the large intestine) source. Chronic alcohol consumption is associated with thiamin deficiency, which is caused (in part) by inhibition in intestinal thiamin absorption. However, little is known about the physiological and molecular aspects of the intestinal thiamin uptake process that are affected by chronic alcohol use. To address these issues, we used rats fed an alcohol-liquid diet and human intestinal epithelial HuTu-80 cells chronically exposed to ethanol as model systems. The results showed that chronic alcohol feeding to rats led to a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin transport across both the jejunal brush-border membrane and basolateral membrane domains. This was associated with a significant reduction in level of expression of thiamin transporter-1 (THTR-1), but not THTR-2, at the protein and mRNA levels. Level of expression of the heterogenous nuclear RNA of THTR-1 in the intestine of alcohol-fed rats was also decreased compared with their pair-fed controls. Chronic alcohol feeding also caused a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin uptake in rat colon. Studies with HuTu-80 cells chronically exposed to ethanol also showed a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin uptake. This inhibition was associated with a reduction in level of expression of human THTR-1 and THTR-2 at the protein, mRNA, and transcriptional (promoter activity) levels. These studies demonstrate that chronic alcohol feeding inhibits intestinal thiamin absorption via inhibition of the individual membrane transport event across the polarized absorptive epithelial cells. Furthermore, the inhibition is, at least in part, mediated via transcriptional mechanism(s).

-end-

If you are consuming ethyl alcohol on a daily basis you are damaging your thiamine status. Thiamine deficiency keeps the liver from functioning properly including the liver's ability to clear the poisonous ethyl alcohol from your body. It does not matter if it is tequila or if it is gin or scotch or vodka or wine or beer or watermelon spiked with Everclear. They all contain ethyl alcohol which is toxic. Research Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome: Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome

mrchibbs

Anything can be toxic. Most centenarians I've seen drink a little daily and I'm betting the benefits vastly outweigh the risk.

fr@

If you are consuming ethyl alcohol on a daily basis you are damaging your thiamine status. Thiamine deficiency keeps the liver from functioning properly including the liver's ability to clear the poisonous ethyl alcohol from your body. It does not matter if it is tequila or if it is gin or scotch or vodka or wine or beer or watermelon spiked with Everclear. They all contain ethyl alcohol which is toxic. Research Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome: Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome
So would supplementing B1 help this process of having 1-2 drinks of alcohol a day?

mostlylurking

So would supplementing B1 help this process of having 1-2 drinks of alcohol a day?
Maybe. But maybe not. I'm not inclined to take the risk anymore myself. If you feel crappy the day after that means your liver couldn't keep up with detoxing you so you are still toxic. If you wake up at 2:00 am and feel drunk from one little drink that means you have poisoned yourself because your liver isn't able to do its job anymore. I think it's helpful to understand why alcohol can make you feel bad later.

fr@

Maybe. But maybe not. I'm not inclined to take the risk anymore myself. If you feel crappy the day after that means your liver couldn't keep up with detoxing you so you are still toxic. If you wake up at 2:00 am and feel drunk from one little drink that means you have poisoned yourself because your liver isn't able to do its job anymore. I think it's helpful to understand why alcohol can make you feel bad later.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

And I actually don't drink, but if I ever drink, this will most likely be the reason :smile:

Chronic alcohol consumption and intestinal thiamin absorption: effects on physiological and molecular parameters of the uptake process​

Abstract​

Thiamin is essential for normal cellular functions, and its deficiency leads to a variety of clinical abnormalities. Humans and other mammals obtain the vitamin via intestinal absorption. The intestine is exposed to two sources of thiamin, a dietary and a bacterial (i.e., normal microflora of the large intestine) source. Chronic alcohol consumption is associated with thiamin deficiency, which is caused (in part) by inhibition in intestinal thiamin absorption. However, little is known about the physiological and molecular aspects of the intestinal thiamin uptake process that are affected by chronic alcohol use. To address these issues, we used rats fed an alcohol-liquid diet and human intestinal epithelial HuTu-80 cells chronically exposed to ethanol as model systems. The results showed that chronic alcohol feeding to rats led to a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin transport across both the jejunal brush-border membrane and basolateral membrane domains. This was associated with a significant reduction in level of expression of thiamin transporter-1 (THTR-1), but not THTR-2, at the protein and mRNA levels. Level of expression of the heterogenous nuclear RNA of THTR-1 in the intestine of alcohol-fed rats was also decreased compared with their pair-fed controls. Chronic alcohol feeding also caused a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin uptake in rat colon. Studies with HuTu-80 cells chronically exposed to ethanol also showed a significant inhibition in carrier-mediated thiamin uptake. This inhibition was associated with a reduction in level of expression of human THTR-1 and THTR-2 at the protein, mRNA, and transcriptional (promoter activity) levels. These studies demonstrate that chronic alcohol feeding inhibits intestinal thiamin absorption via inhibition of the individual membrane transport event across the polarized absorptive epithelial cells. Furthermore, the inhibition is, at least in part, mediated via transcriptional mechanism(s).

-end-

I agree with you everyday is not good.

I was reading posts in the hair section how alcohol can help with breaking down calcification which is why homeless can have a ton of hair despite having horrible nutrition.
Can having 1-2 drinks daily be healthy or beneficial?
I like tequila with juice and apple ciders.
I'm not drinking any beer.
I had to laugh Jack about your homeless
hair observation! I hadn't realized that I have never seen a bald homeless person? I definetly thing their abundant hair is probably more because of theor being outdoors and getting lots of natural vitamin D, and maybe lack of tryptophan. I doubt that all homeless people drink alcohol, and goodness knows we have all seen plenty of bald alcoholics that are not homeless ?

johnwester130

It largely unaffects the system

OP
J

Jack Earth

I had to laugh Jack about your homeless
hair observation! I hadn't realized that I have never seen a bald homeless person? I definetly thing their abundant hair is probably more because of theor being outdoors and getting lots of natural vitamin D, and maybe lack of tryptophan. I doubt that all homeless people drink alcohol, and goodness knows we have all seen plenty of bald alcoholics that are not homeless ?

It's actually the poster Rei's theory in the fascia thread

OP
J

Jack Earth

It largely unaffects the system

Very interesting thread.. including comments from Travis! Thanks for sharing it

Havde

Interesting, I don't think I've ever had it. Any recommended brands? How do you drink it?
When I visited Mexico a lot of people recommended Don Julio. I drank it neat like I would with a whisky.