The Hangover Cure Diet?

CJ_87

I have noticed that many of the recommendations of Ray Peat correspond to the advice I've seen regarding what to eat in order to prevent or counteract an alcoholic hangover. For example - orange juice, eggs, coffee and fruit are often cited as the best foods to consume after an alcohol binge, while saturated fats are recommended as pre-drinking stomach lining. I also note that Alka-Seltzer is spoken of favourably here. It is as if Ray has taken the advice for curing/preventing a hangover and made a permanent diet out of it.

So my question is: are these similarities coincidental, or is the stereotypical "Peat diet" necessarily a restorative "sick person's" diet which doesn't demand too much of the digestive system, while replenishing all the nutrients that are typically lost through alcohol overdose?

zooma

Ray's philosophy is based around providing energy and increasing metabolism.

Generally in the mainstream this isn't considered important, and in some instances is considered detrimental (rate of living theory). However, even in the mainstream it is recognised that restoring energy is fundamental in curing a hangover.

SQu

I've noticed this too. I also realized my symptoms were very like a hangover though I rarely touch alcohol. Nausea migraines vertigo etc. So I don't think it's coincidental and I think the common issue in both is an unhappy liver.

Makrosky

I've noticed this too. I also realized my symptoms were very like a hangover though I rarely touch alcohol. Nausea migraines vertigo etc. So I don't think it's coincidental and I think the common issue in both is an unhappy liver.
I think the hangover feelings in absence of alcohol are caused by endotoxin.

thegiantess

I have noticed that many of the recommendations of Ray Peat correspond to the advice I've seen regarding what to eat in order to prevent or counteract an alcoholic hangover. For example - orange juice, eggs, coffee and fruit are often cited as the best foods to consume after an alcohol binge, while saturated fats are recommended as pre-drinking stomach lining. I also note that Alka-Seltzer is spoken of favourably here. It is as if Ray has taken the advice for curing/preventing a hangover and made a permanent diet out of it.

So my question is: are these similarities coincidental, or is the stereotypical "Peat diet" necessarily a restorative "sick person's" diet which doesn't demand too much of the digestive system, while replenishing all the nutrients that are typically lost through alcohol overdose?

Interesting observation. I think the Peat idea is to put the least tax on the digestive system whilst providing it the most energy density to optimize metabolic function. This makes sense when hungover as the digestive system is often stressed and only really easily digested things, and those with readily absorbable nutrients, are tolerable and can bring one back to life. Makes sense to me!

OP
CJ_87

CJ_87

Interesting observation. I think the Peat idea is to put the least tax on the digestive system whilst providing it the most energy density to optimize metabolic function. This makes sense when hungover as the digestive system is often stressed and only really easily digested things, and those with readily absorbable nutrients, are tolerable and can bring one back to life. Makes sense to me!

Yes, that makes sense to me too! :grinning:

It also makes intuitive sense that a so-called healing diet would also be a valid choice for a regular, long-term "maintenance" diet. And as you say, Peat's most frequently-suggested foods are those which are both easily digestible and energy-dense, a dietary template which has an obvious overlap with the kind of foods needed to replenish and detoxify a temporarily alcohol-ravaged digestive system.