The Great Global Warming Poll

What are your thoughts on Climate Change

• Man Made CO2 is primarily driving the warming and we better do something

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Man Made CO2 is primarily driving the warming but the cure is worse than the disease

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Natural factors are driving the warming so relax and enjoy

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Natural factors are driving us towards a cooling

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • The scientists have no idea what will happen

Votes: 49 41.2%

• Total voters

Queequeg

Time to take the RPF temperature on this.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

bump

Kyle M

Tough choice between a cooling and no idea what's going to happen, I think they are both true. That is to say that I believe we are on the cusp of a cooling trend from natural factors (whatever natural means, I mean sun cycles) and also that the vast overwhelming majority of climate, and most other, scientists have no idea what's going on or what will happen in the future.

DaveFoster

Here's a video of the interaction between the president of the Sierra Club, Aaron Mair and Senator Ted Cruz.

I believe manmade CO2 is driving GW and that scientists have no clue how it will change the world. It could end up being a net positive for all we know. That said, the precautionary principle says we should probably curb greenhouse gas emissions. There are also other, much better reasons for transitioning off of fossil fuels and the combustion of organic matter (eg, air pollution causing a variety of health problems).

T

tca300

Tough choice between a cooling and no idea what's going to happen, I think they are both true. That is to say that I believe we are on the cusp of a cooling trend from natural factors (whatever natural means, I mean sun cycles) and also that the vast overwhelming majority of climate, and most other, scientists have no idea what's going on or what will happen in the future.
Word! :thumbup

Elysium

We're fckucking up the planet, and whether its cooling or warming up is the least of its problem.

To perpetuate the idea that the alternative to believing in global warming is to "relax and enjoy" is beneath anything Peat. The man deserves better that being associated with this imbecilic pop quiz.

There are numerous carcinogenic chemicals in most fossil fuels, making up more than half of its content, including toxic poisonous garbage like toulen, metyl tert butyl ether or benzene. You're not burning dead dinosaurs, cowboys.

Last edited:
We're fckucking up the planet, and whether its cooling or warming up is the least of its problem.

To perpetuate the idea that the alternative to believing in global warming is to "relax and enjoy" is beneath anything Peat. The man deserves better that being associated with this imbecilic pop quiz.

This.

If anything global warming is a straw man. A distraction.

The earth warms and cools all the time.

The real damage has nothing to do with temperature.

We (and by we I mean the elites) are driving the extinction of a lot of plants and animals.

We (and by we I mean the elites) are poisoning the earth.

I mean where do you think trannies come from?

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

There are numerous carcinogenic chemicals in most fossil fuels, making up more than half of its content, including toxic poisonous garbage like toulen, metyl tert butyl ether or benzene. You're not burning dead dinosaurs, cowboys.
I think it is your authoritarian attitude about how others phrase their poll questions that is beneath anything Ray Peat related.

In any case, getting to the truth about Global Warming is extremely important to our world. The current policies in place to avert this phantom problem will cause untold misery in terms of wrecked standards of living, food scarcity, and joblessness. The issue of the small increased risk of cancer due to the burning of fossil fuels completely ignores the profound benefits brought by fossil fuels in terms of quality of life and improved health. Would you prefer that we go back to burning cow pies or chopping down all of our trees to keep us warm? So relax, enjoy and try not to be such a troll.

Travis

The oil industry pays PR firms to mitigate the significance of global warming.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

The oil industry pays PR firms to mitigate the significance of global warming.
Most of the major oil companies are now on board with the global warming lie. They are experiencing record increased growth selling gas to utilities for all the new gas fired generation being built to replace coal fired plants. Eventually when the price of gas goes back up to more historical values they stand to make a killing.

What is true is that they fund environmental groups such as Greenpeace and the Sierra Club to attack the nuclear industry and promote solar and wind technology. They do this because only Nuclear would be capable of displacing any significant amount of gas or oil fired generation. Solar and wind will never be more than niche players.

Why Big Oil wants Trump to stay in Paris climate agreement

Last edited:

Herbie

In any case, getting to the truth about Global Warming is extremely important to our world. The current policies in place to avert this phantom problem will cause untold misery in terms of wrecked standards of living, food scarcity, and joblessness. The issue of the small increased risk of cancer due to the burning of fossil fuels completely ignores the profound benefits brought by fossil fuels in terms of quality of life and improved health. Would you prefer that we go back to burning cow pies or chopping down all of our trees to keep us warm? So relax, enjoy and try not to be such a troll.

In Australia we are already having problems with blackouts and rising electricity prices due to closing down coal fired power plants.

My 90 year old Grandmother is worried we are returning to the dark ages, she didn't have electricity when she was a young women.

Atman

The CO2 discussion is ridiculous.

What is the premise in the argument against fossil fuels for example?
Do these people think the oil, gas etc has been under the ground since the beginning of time?
The carbon which has been entrapped there over millions of years was once part of the carbon-life cycle.
We merely free it and bring it back to the place where it has been before. Why should that destroy the planet?
It doesn't make any sense.

You could even argue, if you believe the planet is an intelligent organism, that it has generated the human species precisely for this task.
Because if the CO2 concentration or the amount of carbon in general in the biosphere is ever decreasing, life will become ever more sparsely until it stops one day entirely.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

In Australia we are already having problems with blackouts and rising electricity prices due to closing down coal fired power plants.

My 90 year old Grandmother is worried we are returning to the dark ages, she didn't have electricity when she was a young women.
That is the plan. The only thing saving the US for now is cheap natural gas but it wont always be so cheap.

Herbie

That is the plan. The only thing saving the US for now is cheap natural gas but it wont always be so cheap.

Hopefully they don't sell all of it to other countries. Australia sold a lot of our gas overseas and didn't leave enough for ourselves and the government had to step in recently.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Hopefully they don't sell all of it to other countries. Australia sold a lot of our gas overseas and didn't leave enough for ourselves and the government had to step in recently.
Trump is planning on ramping up sales of both gas and oil. I just hope they leave the coal fired plants mothballed and don't tear them all down.

x-ray peat

I think most scientists know the truth but aren't telling us, kind of like Harvard still recommending PUFAs.