The global financial system is likely insolvent

Peater

All evidence and historical contexts points to that fiat currency and the "USD" will not spiral downwards. The economy is as strong as its ever been mostly thanks to the monetary interventions that would not be possible without fractional reserve banking and monetary policy regulations. The current financial system in theory and practice can be sustained with great success on wealth creation in perpetuity.

LMAO

ThinPicking

I'm presenting the scientific literature.
You're presenting dogma in attempt to validate it for yourself. And doing an awful job.

word-salad
This is your modus. Waffle 🧇.

not a capitalistic one
This isn't capitalism. It's corporatism. No amount of waffle will occlude that fact.

The economy is as strong as its ever been mostly thanks to the monetary interventions that would not be possible without fractional reserve banking and monetary policy regulations.
You're delusional. "Flatten the curve" right "Alpha".

Alpha

You're presenting dogma in attempt to validate it for yourself. And doing an awful job.
Yes I'm presenting dogma from Nature and Cell. Thanks for stopping by.

This isn't capitalism. It's corporatism. No amount of waffle will occlude that fact.
Uh-huh. Thanks for stopping by.

You're delusional. "Flatten the curve" right "Alpha".
Yes flatten the curve to distribute the number of cases across time and allow healthcare capacity to absorb them sufficiently to increase the probability they get the proper medical care and improve survivability, rather than overwhelm the system and have more deaths as a consequence.

Thanks for stopping by.

revenant

"The economy is as strong as its ever been"

Sure it is. That's why the number of homeless people is at its highest, while in the 60's people could afford to buy a house working a blue collar job.

Alpha

"The economy is as strong as its ever been"

Sure it is. That's why the number of homeless people is at its highest
Zero evidence of that.

1704209798219.png

While in the 60's people could afford to buy a house working a blue collar job.
Zero evidence of that.

1704209704012.png

LLight

Yes flatten the curve to distribute the number of cases across time and allow healthcare capacity to absorb them sufficiently to increase the probability they get the proper medical care and improve survivability, rather than overwhelm the system and have more deaths as a consequence.
I often hear that lock downs were not a serious plan for epidemies before 2020.
Have you checked for yourself? If yes, I'm interested.

What about the impact on health, especially psychological? How do you balance the harm done with the supposed benefits?

Another interesting thing is the fact that SARS-CoV-2 was circulating before february-march 2020.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Zero evidence of that.

Plenty of evidence for that.

And there is plenty of evidence for reduced housing affordability nowadays compared to the 1960s.
"...
  • In 1960, the median home cost $11,900, while the median income was $5,600, indicating a price-to-income ratio of 2.1.
  • By contrast, in 2019 the median home cost $240,500 with an estimated median income of $68,703, a price-to-income ratio of 3.5.
..."

"...The cost of housing has risen much more quickly than wages in the past 60 years. Adjusting for inflation, we were able to compare the growth in wages and housing costs.
  • The median house of 1960 would cost just $104,619 in 2020 dollars, far below the actual cost of $240,500, meaning housing costs have increased by 129%.
  • Median household income has only grown by 39% in that same time period, from $49,232 (2020 dollars) in 1960 to $68,703 today.
..."

There is a widely-used metric for estimating a country's economic health. It is the cost of education, housing, healthcare, and food - the so-called 4 pillars of society. By that metric, US (and Western countries in general) is a third-world country (see 3rd link below), considering real wages have not moved since the 1970s while the cost of the 4 pillars has skyrocketed. Actually, the wages have been flat when using the current CPI formula, which was changed 3-4 times since the 1960s. Using pre-1980s formula for calculating inflation, both real wages and GDP may be in negative territory.

The US economy has been a F.I.R.E. (finance, insurance, real-estate) dominated bubble for decades. The FIRE sector is 20% of GDP, govt spending is another 12%, health care (with abysmal outcomes and insane cost, easily beaten by even dirt-poor Cuba) is about 20%. So 50%+ of the economy is basically hot air. The country has been de-industrializing since the 1970s and now depends on most of its critical industrial, military and health-care components on competitors/enemies like China (and even Russia). Does that sound like economic "strength"?

And even in regards to the soaring stock market, if you remove the rising stock prices of companies (ab)using the "AI" vaporware (maybe 10 companies total), the S&P500 is negative for 2023. And "AI" is a scam, provable scam. If you want, I can provide links on that too.

In addition, the share of USD in world trade and reserve holdings by countries has been steadily dropping and now this drop is accelerating. Most central banks around the world have been dumping Treasuries and dollar holdings since 2022 and that trend is not abating - i.e. inflationary for USD. In fact, unless the US can find more "partners" like Argentina (whose dollarization will absorb some of the inflationary effects of never-ending QE in the US) or continue pushing the crypto scam as another QE "sink", it is quite possible that we will see hyperinflation in 2024. So, in light of all these inflationary pressures and the economy "being strong as hell" the FED is expected to cut rates several times in 2024, down from a meager rate of about 5%, which is the historical average over the last 50+ years? How does that even makes sense...unless the economy is mostly a scam, unable to survive without perennial QE/ZIRP?

Even if you dispute all of the above, the indisputable reality is that Millenials are less fertile, (potentially) less intelligent, sicker, and poorer than their parents, and GenZ is in an even worse shape than Millenials.

Intelligence, fertility and general health are the best metrics of the quality of life in a given country, which stems largely from its economic health. But even looking at just economic data, it is hard to argue that the economy is great when two consecutive generations are poorer than the preceding one and the trend is downwards. To the point where about half of adults in the 18-30 age range live with their parents and have no plans on moving out any time soon.

@Peater @ThinPicking

Last edited:

Alpha

Plenty of evidence for that.
Alright, I'll have to stop responding because this is taking up too much of my time, but because you posted a long response I'll only address your first point.

The number of homeless people did indeed inch up this year, surpassing the peak in 2007 by about 1%.

1704223971005.png

Now let's do the maths and see how much of the population in US is homeless today compared to 2007. I adjusted the total population by the estimate of illegal immigrants using data from the US Department of Homeland Security.

1704224567666.png

This clearly tells us that the rate of homelessness is declining in the US, dropping by more than 10% compared to 2007.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Alright, I'll have to stop responding because this is taking up too much of my time, but because you posted a long response I'll only address your first point.

The number of homeless people did indeed inch up this year, surpassing the peak in 2007 by about 1%.

View attachment 59816

Now let's do the maths and see how much of the population in US is homeless today compared to 2007. I adjusted the total population by the estimate of illegal immigrants using data from the US Department of Homeland Security.

View attachment 59817

This clearly tells us that the rate of homelessness is declining in the US, dropping by more than 10% compared to 2007.

The more I read about it, the more it looks like "homelessness" is yet another hot potato for economists subject to ever changing definitions, like unemployment.
The History of Homelessness in the United States - Permanent Supportive Housing - NCBI Bookshelf (see section on different types of homelessness)
Case in point, if we use the official definition of the latter, the US has a record low unemployment rate right now. However, if we use the "out of the labor force" definition, we are looking at record high numbers (37%) and it's not because those people are rich and deciding to sail into the sunset on their trust fund money.

So, it is hard to find a definitive source on what exactly is considered a homeless person. Is it 6 months on the street, 12 months, years? What if somebody is couch surfing family/friends due to being chronically unemployed and broke? I would consider such people (who are also record numbers currently) to quality under homelessness. Anyways, I don't think this can be easily decided one way or the other due to lack of standard definitions plus constant change of such definitions. FWIW city data shows ever-increasing rates of homeless, with the biggest US cities being hit the worst. See chart 2 below.

ThinPicking

The more I read about it, the more it looks like "homelessness" is yet another hot potato for economists subject to ever changing definitions, like unemployment.
It certainly is, same here in the UK. Where for example, we can house people who fell through the cracks in shipping containers and strike them off the stats. Or simply fail to account for them at all.

I can appreciate the frames of mind that find the implications of all this hard to bear. The stats become a resort. But the chickens are coming home. And no biotech, Boston Dynamics or conscription "solution" will cut the mustard.

Perhaps only some difficult chats, a modicum of forgiveness and a few megatonnes of sugar. Assuming no blood.

Alpha

It certainly is, same here in the UK. Where for example, we can house people who fell through the cracks in shipping containers and strike them off the stats. Or simply fail to account for them at all.

I can appreciate the frames of mind that find the implications of all this hard to bear. The stats become a resort. But the chickens are coming home. And no biotech, Boston Dynamics or conscription "solution" will cut the mustard.

Perhaps only some difficult chats, a modicum of forgiveness and a few megatonnes of sugar. Assuming no blood.
Well, I must admit, that made me laugh out loud.

akgrrrl

RPF members this thread, I love that your crisp dialogue/knowledgeable discourse stands as a beacon of civility in a world gone mad. The grace of Dr. Raymond Peat moves forward.

AlaskaJono

Yes I'm presenting dogma from Nature and Cell. Thanks for stopping by.

LMAO - even the Oligarchy owned Guardian has an article on the crap Nature has been known to publish.

How journals like Nature, Cell and Science are damaging science

This article is more than 10 years old
Randy Schekman

The incentives offered by top journals distort science, just as big bonuses distort banking

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom