"The Fibre Man" who went to Africa

ceileachair

Peat mentioned in an interview about a certain doctor who noticed that the local Africans didn't get bowel issues due to their high fibre diet but Peat said it was aminly potatoes. Alas the "fibre man" or Denis Burkitt himself talks about cereals, bread, beans etc as equally important as potatoes in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1fkVLqhmE

The guy also mentions that a "cow pat" is the ideal stool form which Peat also re-iterates elsewhere.

I think that starches, particularly for those who are constipated as opposed to Crohns, are very important for bowel function in their bulking mechanism and as a source of fibre.

I look forward to a tirade of abuse.

Nicholas

thinking out loud....my belief is that anyone can have healthy bowel movements eating completely different things. i'm not sure that it's scientific to say that fiber "bulks". From what i understand, it's bacteria which does the bulking. Even people who eat zero fiber can have bulky stools. also, in my experience...constipation is usually relevant to a calcium imbalance. or it's related to not eating enough, consistently enough. having unpredictable food timing or shortages or excesses can confuse the digestive system for some.

for some reason, my digestive system likes starches and fruit fiber....but i think it's more about appeasing the microbiome, which in turn creates the ideal stool.

tara

ceileachair said:
post 105003 I look forward to a tirade of abuse.
If you are looking for aggressive critique, Anthony Colpo has a bit to say about legumes and whole versus refined grains.

Last edited by a moderator:

OrangeJuice

I would never pay attention to my stools and how they formed or what foods caused different sizes, formations, etc. After going through a terrible Paleo experience and suffering from bad constipation with rabbit-pebble poop (going like once every 4-5 days) I set out to understand what was it that causes different stool formations.

After a few Matt Stone RRARF months I found that (for me) it really is simple...resistant starch is the secret weapon. Poop is mostly bacteria and resistant starch is great for bulk. Parboiled Rice (Uncle Ben's) is my secret weapon. Pair it with beans in a chipotle like meal and I am regularly dropping Rhino Logs in the toilet. Beautiful Bristol Type 4s galore. Seriously, some of them are as long as my arm. I don't like High Fiber cereals with a lot of insoluble fiber...tends to pass through more roughly.

Fruit is good too for motility.

Nicholas said:
post 105012 thinking out loud....my belief is that anyone can have healthy bowel movements eating completely different things. i'm not sure that it's scientific to say that fiber "bulks". From what i understand, it's bacteria which does the bulking. Even people who eat zero fiber can have bulky stools. also, in my experience...constipation is usually relevant to a calcium imbalance. or it's related to not eating enough, consistently enough. having unpredictable food timing or shortages or excesses can confuse the digestive system for some.

for some reason, my digestive system likes starches and fruit fiber....but i think it's more about appeasing the microbiome, which in turn creates the ideal stool.

I'd agree with you Nicholas. I've noticed the same...calcium imbalance (RBTI's thought on constipation), not eating enough, consistently enough or not enough food, and food timing really seems to lead to constipation for me regardless, but once i eat a consistent meal plan (with resistant starch) with same thing generally I'm like clock-work down to the minute, it's quite amazing.

Nicholas

OrangeJuice said:
post 105043 I would never pay attention to my stools and how they formed or what foods caused different sizes, formations, etc. After going through a terrible Paleo experience and suffering from bad constipation with rabbit-pebble poop (going like once every 4-5 days) I set out to understand what was it that causes different stool formations.

After a few Matt Stone RRARF months I found that (for me) it really is simple...resistant starch is the secret weapon. Poop is mostly bacteria and resistant starch is great for bulk. Parboiled Rice (Uncle Ben's) is my secret weapon. Pair it with beans in a chipotle like meal and I am regularly dropping Rhino Logs in the toilet. Beautiful Bristol Type 4s galore. Seriously, some of them are as long as my arm. I don't like High Fiber cereals with a lot of insoluble fiber...tends to pass through more roughly.

Fruit is good too for motility.

Nicholas said:
post 105012 thinking out loud....my belief is that anyone can have healthy bowel movements eating completely different things. i'm not sure that it's scientific to say that fiber "bulks". From what i understand, it's bacteria which does the bulking. Even people who eat zero fiber can have bulky stools. also, in my experience...constipation is usually relevant to a calcium imbalance. or it's related to not eating enough, consistently enough. having unpredictable food timing or shortages or excesses can confuse the digestive system for some.

I'd agree with you Nicholas. I've noticed the same...calcium imbalance (RBTI's thought on constipation), not eating enough, consistently enough or not enough food, and food timing really seems to lead to constipation for me regardless, but once i eat a consistent meal plan (with resistant starch) with same thing generally I'm like clock-work down to the minute, it's quite amazing.

yeah, resistant starch is the only kind of starch i can really eat and thrive. paleo created massive constipation for me. when i got the food frequency/timing thing down and began introducing resistant starches in with fruit, things began to improve a whole lot. (activity is another factor, too) I could rely on every morning, at least. If i am super dilligent and consistent, my body even relaxes and functions enough for two bowel movements a day.

Tarmander

I wonder about resistant starch. I eat cold rice sometimes and I worry that the SFA produced by the bacteria is contributing to pushing the randle cycle towards fat oxidation.

Parsifal

OrangeJuice said:
I'm almost sure that butyrate and resistant starch would cure my constipation issues but I don't understand why everytime I eat some I get a strong flu and crusty dandruff (probably endoxotins) while most people eating starch everytime are okay with it. Ray also said that starches granules are bad for the nervous system IIRC?
Guyenet says that butyrate increases the metabolic rate but I'm almost sure that the rats with no gut flora would have higher metabolic rate...

Tarmander said:
post 105047 I wonder about resistant starch. I eat cold rice sometimes and I worry that the SFA produced by the bacteria is contributing to pushing the randle cycle towards fat oxidation.
How do you know that (SFA pushing the randle cycle towards fat oxidation)? BTW if sugar is a superior fuel than fat why does fat is stronger than sugar in the randle cycle?

I've never been able to understand the whole "fibre makes you regular" thing. Nothing makes me as constipated as whole grains.
I recently experimented with eating quite a lot of cooked vegetables daily and it definitely didn't help me poop. Raw carrot helps though. :)
White bread and white rice definitely goes through me alot easier. Minimum starch being best.

I've taken psyllium fiber for the last 25 years. I've been off it briefly but felt awful. I don't take a lot and only once a day but it makes a HUGE difference that i've never been able to equal with diet alone.

I also now take Saccharomyces Boulardii and Soil Based Organisms with my fiber and it works even better. My theory is that these keep the bugs in balance. I think I have some "bad" bugs and they are kept in balance with this combo.

I did terribly on whole grains and can't eat beans or lentils at all.

I'm becoming aware of issues with starch but I think there is merit to eating foods for some time and growing gut flora that eat it. I ate yams last night and had gas this morning. I've been eating yams for a long time. But now I'm more aware of cause and effect and I will try a few more times and see if it gets better.

I'm also seeing that endotoxin load can be measured the next day by how much I sneeze, a scratchy feeling in my throat, which in the old days I attributed to "allergies" now I see it as endotoxins. But with starch there may be merit in keeping on keeping on, with the target starch (so long as it's safe) and then the gut bacteria get adjusted to it and the starch may become quite digestible and agreeable.