The Famous Cyproheptadine Rebound

Arnold Grape

Ray recommends 0.5mg-1mg and 2mg only for very ill (cancer people), and there's been discussions highlighting why he may be very cognizant of the potential side-effects of higher dosages. 0.5mg is enough to get the vast majority of benefits in terms of lowering stress hormones. And I think true healing requires extended periods of a better environment, and I think long term, low-dose cyproheptadine offsets many of the problems of chronic stress.

You are right though, that other things like theanine and glycine do many of the same things.

With respect to aspirin, dissolving it with sodium bicarbonate helps to prevent the potential stomach damage

Effect Of Sodium Bicarbonate On Aspirin-Induced Damage And Potential Difference Changes In Human Gastric Mucosa on JSTOR
Have also been @ .5 Cypro through this COVID impasse and do not see ostensible drawbacks. What’s weird is that when I up it from this slightly, I do report I or issues. This must be the first Peat approved substance that does not appear completely anti-androgenic to me.

OP: I was wondering if your experiment with SJW went south because the last time you talked about Cypro rebound (which I still have no idea what means), you were taking St. John’s Wort?

dreamcatcher

is there any long term issues from stopping this stuff? ever since i've stopped i've developed cushing like symptoms (water weight, mostly in my face and chest, irritable, stresssed poor sleep)
As well as insomnia. Although Ray Peat told me that it's helpful for good sleep, when taken in the evening.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I think it has a delayed effect to it. Or more accurately speaking I guess a prolonged effect. The few times I've took it I took it at a 2mg dose and the antiserotonin effects seem to last 1-2 days after the first day of taking it. Having said that, if you look up cypro you'll find it has a fairly long list of potential side effects. Have you tried other serotonin antagonists? Many of the anti-stress aminos (glycine, lysine, theanine, taurine) work really good.

I agree.

I have tried many other anti serotonin agents, responded well to some, but nothing comes close to how good I feel on day 4 after cypro.

Almost suspecting it's just a cortisol rebound that feels so good.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I was wondering if your experiment with SJW went south because the last time you talked about Cypro rebound (which I still have no idea what means), you were taking St. John’s Wort?

So what happens is Cypro and SJW do the same thing for me, they both HELP the PSSD/Blunted emotions.

There's a shared mechanism between the two on the 5-HT1A receptor that I am trying to figure out.

Btw, a cypro rebound refers to how good I feel 4 days AFTER a single dose of cyproheptadine

Frankdee20

So what happens is Cypro and SJW do the same thing for me, they both HELP the PSSD/Blunted emotions.

There's a shared mechanism between the two on the 5-HT1A receptor that I am trying to figure out.

Btw, a cypro rebound refers to how good I feel 4 days AFTER a single dose of cyproheptadine

Many chemicals and ligands effect 5ht1a, but it has pre and post synaptic sides, and they either block or activate those specific sides.... it’s very confusing to sort out. Each side does a different thing depending on agonist vs antagonist binding

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Many chemicals and ligands effect 5ht1a, but it has pre and post synaptic sides, and they either block or activate those specific sides.... it’s very confusing to sort out. Each side does a different thing depending on agonist vs antagonist binding

You are exactly spot on Frank!! That’s what makes it hella confusing !!

Frankdee20

You are exactly spot on Frank!! That’s what makes it hella confusing !!

If you ever consider creating a post dealing with those differences, tag me lol ... I think self hacked website had the best information on this receptor and the different sides, along with the drugs and supplements that effect it

Sospian

I agree.

I have tried many other anti serotonin agents, responded well to some, but nothing comes close to how good I feel on day 4 after cypro.

Almost suspecting it's just a cortisol rebound that feels so good.

So how would you recommend it?

Take it every day and then come off day 4 or what?

P.S. OP you have to watch this

Last edited:

Sagitarrius90

Never heard of a good rebound... I had a massive cortisol spike along with bad serotonin like symptoms it sucked bad lol and not to mention alot of water retention

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
So how would you recommend it?

Take it every day and then come off day 4 or what?

P.S. OP you have to watch this

I talk with that dude every single day about this entire cypro rebound.

We are trying to figure out what it does exactly.

In fact, I was the dude that first today him about cyproheptadine.

Sospian

I talk with that dude every single day about this entire cypro rebound.

We are trying to figure out what it does exactly.

In fact, I was the dude that first today him about cyproheptadine.

Thought he said it just makes the serotonin autoreceptor start functioning properly again to prevent a serotonin overload

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Thought he said it just makes the serotonin autoreceptor start functioning properly again to prevent a serotonin overload

But what's unique about it is that initially, it makes us feel terrible. And during those first 2-3 days, net serotonin would be lower... so then how on day 4-5 is there LESS serotonin?!

That's why I am so confused

Sospian

But what's unique about it is that initially, it makes us feel terrible. And during those first 2-3 days, net serotonin would be lower... so then how on day 4-5 is there LESS serotonin?!

That's why I am so confused

I'm assuming it makes you feel terrible because of its effect on histamine. I had to take antihistamines a few months back when I had some allergies, and they made me feel terrible. Just remember that it is not specifically meant for serotonin, and that other side effects should he expected.

By day 4-5, these side effects most likely fade, leaving you with a functional serotonin auto receptor

Sospian

I ordered some Cypro that ordered today and will be taking it tonight at 6mg before bed.

@Lokzo You mentioned your problems were caused by Ashwaghanda (as were mine), so was Cypro a permanent fix? Also do you have another link to your blog? The Medium link says your account is "under investigation".

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I ordered some Cypro that ordered today and will be taking it tonight at 6mg before bed.

@Lokzo You mentioned your problems were caused by Ashwaghanda (as were mine), so was Cypro a permanent fix? Also do you have another link to your blog? The Medium link says your account is "under investigation".

hey man!!!

holy smokes!!!! 6mg!!!! Be careful!!!

So you got wrecked by Ashwagandha too!? I’ll be adding you to my folder of guys who have been destroyed by it

also- if you search Ergogenic Health Ashwagandha it should come up on google.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

Cyproheptadine for me has represented the most powerful tool to modify my brain in that I can FEEL again...
this is not entirely permanent as there are so many supplements and foods that can f*** me up and cause numbness again.

St. John’s wort is a huge tool for me as well though. That really helps me feel again as awlll.

Sospian

hey man!!!

holy smokes!!!! 6mg!!!! Be careful!!!

So you got wrecked by Ashwagandha too!? I’ll be adding you to my folder of guys who have been destroyed by it

also- if you search Ergogenic Health Ashwagandha it should come up on google.

I recall using it a lot during my previous job. I worked in sales and wanted to banish anxiety for good. I remember speaking to a former colleague who said I'm one of the most confident people she had met, to which I replied, "It's not confidence; I just don't feel anything". This was about the time my libido had began to diminish and things started to get grey.

I recall having an issue with "brain fog"; shortly after discovering that St John's Wort seemed to allieviate my symptoms. Unfortunately, I got a bit obsessed and began taking very high dosages of SJW multiple times daily - sometimes up to 2g, multiple times a day, although I stopped after it started affecting my eyes.

I'm still a big confused on how SJW would help. I've been watching a lot of Ryan's latest vids from Cortex Labs, to which he mentioned you & your site, although I'll probably have to dig deeper with the SJW.

BTW - One thing that temporarily fixed my problems was PT-141. Although it has a short half-life, it restored my libido and ability to feel normal for about 3-4 days. Now it's not as effective, but I am running an assortment of medication right now to "reset" almost every aspect of my sexual function (Currently tapering Letrozole as I add Aromasin; Proviron; 250iu HCG, and Cabergoline to try and maximise 5-AR activity. Despite Caber being a D2 agonist, it has had minimal effect on how I feel.

This might also interest you:

About last year I started taking 10mg boron for the first time. ALL OF MY ISSUES DISAPPEARED. My testicles were tingling and growing noticeably every single day. My libido returned with the strongest EQ I've had in years. Within a week, EVERYTHING fixed itself. This lasted for about 2.5 weeks in total, until it began to fade. I cycled off boron because it starts increasing E2 after 2-3 weeks of usage, which I believed to be the reason my body began reverting.

By week 3, my EQ has returned to crap and my libido had gone again. Cycling back on boron did not help. I even avoided boron for 3 months before trying it again, but still did not get the same result as the first time I had used it.

To this day I am still unsure whether that was because of the boron or not. I have researched as much as I can on boron and have followed through with all of its mechanisms, but have yet to achieve the "fix" that boron gave me for those 2-3 weeks.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I recall using it a lot during my previous job. I worked in sales and wanted to banish anxiety for good. I remember speaking to a former colleague who said I'm one of the most confident people she had met, to which I replied, "It's not confidence; I just don't feel anything". This was about the time my libido had began to diminish and things started to get grey.

I recall having an issue with "brain fog"; shortly after discovering that St John's Wort seemed to allieviate my symptoms. Unfortunately, I got a bit obsessed and began taking very high dosages of SJW multiple times daily - sometimes up to 2g, multiple times a day, although I stopped after it started affecting my eyes.

I'm still a big confused on how SJW would help. I've been watching a lot of Ryan's latest vids from Cortex Labs, to which he mentioned you & your site, although I'll probably have to dig deeper with the SJW.

BTW - One thing that temporarily fixed my problems was PT-141. Although it has a short half-life, it restored my libido and ability to feel normal for about 3-4 days. Now it's not as effective, but I am running an assortment of medication right now to "reset" almost every aspect of my sexual function (Currently tapering Letrozole as I add Aromasin; Proviron; 250iu HCG, and Cabergoline to try and maximise 5-AR activity. Despite Caber being a D2 agonist, it has had minimal effect on how I feel.

This might also interest you:

About last year I started taking 10mg boron for the first time. ALL OF MY ISSUES DISAPPEARED. My testicles were tingling and growing noticeably every single day. My libido returned with the strongest EQ I've had in years. Within a week, EVERYTHING fixed itself. This lasted for about 2.5 weeks in total, until it began to fade. I cycled off boron because it starts increasing E2 after 2-3 weeks of usage, which I believed to be the reason my body began reverting.

By week 3, my EQ has returned to crap and my libido had gone again. Cycling back on boron did not help. I even avoided boron for 3 months before trying it again, but still did not get the same result as the first time I had used it.

To this day I am still unsure whether that was because of the boron or not. I have researched as much as I can on boron and have followed through with all of its mechanisms, but have yet to achieve the "fix" that boron gave me for those 2-3 weeks.

Dude, whoever you are, thank you for connecting!!

This is such precious insight.

I laughed SO HARD when you said "It's not confidence; I just don't feel anything". - I was literally saying this to my brother last night explaining how cypro makes me feel acutely. Zero anxiety, ultra good work ethic, no rewarding feelings, no euphoria from exercise/stimulants, just ROBOTIMISED focused and disciplined, with a sarcastic attitude in serious conversations.

As for PT-141 -----> Your experience sounded incredible, but I never view that as a magical re-setter to our problem which I am 95% certain that it is all coming down to one specific serotonin receptor----> 5-HT1A.

Why does SJW help? Well, it up-regulates post synaptic 1A side, and gets the oxytocin/cortisol signalling happening again.

What happens when cypro withdrawal kicks in?? Potentially re-sesnsitized 1A receptor.

All these things to BOOST Dopamine I am starting to realize are NOT Solving our issue. You just proved it... with Cabergoiline, and I have proved that with other potent dopaminergics... Yes they enhance other aspects of my cognition, but it does not TICKLE that 5-HT1A receptor that needs manipulating.

Because, I have had windows with:
-ALCAR
-Zeolite
-Licorice
-SJW
-Cypro

They all interact with 1A

I had the exact experience as you with Boron as well. That's insane. Acutely amazing, then never again was I able to replicate it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom