The Emergence Of Life Was Virtualy Guaranteed

haidut

Hi all,

As you many of you have probably familiarized yourselves with Ray's view on evolution and the origins of life. It seems he is of the opinion that life was not an accident that happened on Earth due to dumb luck and random events but was rather a natural and basically unavoidable consequence of the properties of mater itself. Needless to say very few people in mainstream science share that view, especially given the fact that it blurs the lines between "living' and "non-living" matter, as well as suggesting that evolution is teleological (purposeful).
Well, I just found an article about a new theory by a young MIT professor that seems to match pretty well with Ray's views. It combines the Second Law of Thermodynamics with biochemistry and metabolism (energy production and heat dissipation). As expected, the scientist is both a physicist and biochemist. I was kinds surprised to see it discussed in mainstream science publication, and it is generating a lot of controversy but I think it is a step in the right direction and away from the dead, mechanistic view of genetics. Here is the article:

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta ... y-of-life/

Some notable quotes:

"...Popular hypotheses credit a primordial soup, a bolt of lightning and a colossal stroke of luck. But if a provocative new theory is correct, luck may have little to do with it. Instead, according to the physicist proposing the idea, the origin and subsequent evolution of life follow from the fundamental laws of nature and “should be as unsurprising as rocks rolling downhill.”

"...But according to England’s theory, the underlying principle driving the whole process is dissipation-driven adaptation of matter."

"...Scientists have already observed self-replication in nonliving systems."

"...A plant, for example, is much better at capturing and routing solar energy through itself than an unstructured heap of carbon atoms. Thus, England argues that under certain conditions, matter will spontaneously self-organize. This tendency could account for the internal order of living things and of many inanimate structures as well. “Snowflakes, sand dunes and turbulent vortices all have in common that they are strikingly patterned structures that emerge in many-particle systems driven by some dissipative process,” he said. Condensation, wind and viscous drag are the relevant processes in these particular cases."

"...He is making me think that the distinction between living and nonliving matter is not sharp,” said Carl Franck, a biological physicist at Cornell University, in an email. “I’m particularly impressed by this notion when one considers systems as small as chemical circuits involving a few biomolecules."

"...Having an overarching principle of life and evolution would give researchers a broader perspective on the emergence of structure and function in living things, many of the researchers said. “Natural selection doesn’t explain certain characteristics,” said Ard Louis, a biophysicist at Oxford University, in an email. These characteristics include a heritable change to gene expression called methylation, increases in complexity in the absence of natural selection, and certain molecular changes Louis has recently studied."

"...If England’s approach stands up to more testing, it could further liberate biologists from seeking a Darwinian explanation for every adaptation and allow them to think more generally in terms of dissipation-driven organization. They might find, for example, that “the reason that an organism shows characteristic X rather than Y may not be because X is more fit than Y, but because physical constraints make it easier for X to evolve than for Y to evolve."

haidut

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut New physics-based theory says emergence of life was unavoidable Science 4
P 23 yr man completely lost in life, advice from older men wanted Male Issues 25
Mito Reductions in 2020 US life expectancy due to COVID-19 (1.13 years) Miscellaneous Health Discussions 2
Vileplume Vileplume’s Log: Getting my life back Logs 5
bzmazu How to Reduce the Pain of Life...Choose Health Health 0
Mauritio Dying Organs Restored to Life through mitochondrial transplant Science 9
mrchibbs bioenergetic.life Resources 8
L Libido issues most of my life Male Issues 61
K Life Giving Store NDT - Experience? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 2
JanP Collagen Disorder Is Ruining My Family's Life. Help Me Break The Curse Ask For Help or Advice 12
boris Children (non Infectious, 0% Death Rate) Are Harmed For Life By Social Distancing And Isolation Mind, Sleep, Stress 9
burtlancast Should Trump Fear For His Life ? Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 20
P Veriocele Is Destroying My Life Male Issues 27
bzmazu Bill Gates’ ‘Web Of Power’ Threatens Life On Earth Articles & Scientific Studies 9
ScurveDream The Problem With Value: A Key Perspective To Work, Life & Experience Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 1
O Shoulder Acne For First Time In Life Skin 8
Twohandsondeck Bar Of Chocolate Brings Man Back To Life (anemia Symptom Reversal?) Testimonials 25
Inaut Ryan Dawson: Twelve Zionist Criminal Billionaires Have Never Been More Vulnerable To Life In Prison Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 2
ken Animation Of Cellular Life Science Basics 0
Drareg Years Of Life Lost Due To The Psychosocial Consequences Of COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies Based On S Scientific Studies 0
C Mood/Quality Of Life, Brain Help Experiments 3
T 2 Years Ago Life REALLY Crashed Anyone Have Information? Mental Issues 23
Tristan Loscha Shelf Life After Opening Of Prescription Medicines And Supplements With Vitamin D3 D 6
J Should One Avoid High Vit A Foods If They Have Taken Accutane In Their Life? A 12
Frankdee20 Experience With Life Giving Store NDT ? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Momado965 Testosterone (base) Haf Life Longer Than Originally Thought Articles & Scientific Studies 0
J How 1 YEAR Of Weight Gain Changed My Life Forever (All In Results!) Diet 2
haidut It Is A "folly" To Claim That DNA Is The Main Blueprint For Life Scientific Studies 1
haidut "Anti-aging" Hormone (hGH) May Actually Shorten Life Scientific Studies 3
A Life Ruined From Drinking 6 Liters Of Water For Weeks Ask For Help or Advice 22
mrchibbs (Coming Soon) A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Audio Interview Transcripts 0
Inaut Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast Interviews 2
theLaw Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Interviews 1
LLight DNA May Not Be Life's Instruction Book Scientific Studies 0
Artynoa HOW GAMING IS RUINING MY LIFE Ask For Help or Advice 50
S Premature Ejaculation Is Ruining My Life Male Issues 59
D Extending Life Of Water Filter - Toxic Danger? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
ScurveDream The "sum Life Prediction Problem" -- Measure Life Not As Regeneration/degeneration But As A Result Health 1
Insaneacinamide Georgi Haidut Dinkov (GHD) Interview Energy, Economics And Life 01/05/2020 haidut 6
S Listerine Changed My Life Experiments 75
corvetteseeker Anyone Struggled With Weight All Their Life And Only Lost It After Peating? Weight 9
D I Have Both HPV Both 1 & 2, Is My Life Pretty Much Ruined? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 124
L Good Review: Chronic Inflammation In The Etiology Of Disease Across The Life Span Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
Blossom Cholesterol Soap - Life Giving Store Life Giving Store 12
Mito Late Life Metformin Treatment Limits Cell Survival And Shortens Lifespan Articles & Scientific Studies 6
T Those Who've Built Considerable Lean Muscle, Were There Any Surprising Game-changers In Diet Or Life Ask For Help or Advice 21
DButter New Conversation W Georgi: How Endotoxin Makes Life Less Lively Video Interviews 15
GreekDemiGod RP Diet & Lifestyle For Young Men With A Lust For Life Ask For Help or Advice 157
jzeno Dog Ownership Associated With Longer Life, Especially Among Heart Attack And Stroke Survivors Scientific Studies 19
S Sugar Saved My Life Health 43