The Emergence Diet : Get Out of Torpor!

youngsinatra

In this video I ask how mammals get out of torpor.

Grizzly bears are the most appropriate model organism: monogastric, large-bodied, omnivorous hibernators. We also happen to have very detailed knowledge about their diet and it may not be what you think.

Before that, I look at the argument that you really ARE in torpor, how you got there and ways to determine whether you are.

Signs that you might be IN torpor include low Vitamin B6, high kynurenine, high homocysteine, high nicotinamide and high 4-HNE (Ox-LDL).

Things hibernators use to get OUT of torpor
(Emergence):
1) oxidants like succinate, alpha-ketoglutarate and pyruvate. These help inject oxygen so that you can burn fat.
2) Methyl groups in the form of SAMe. You could also use betaine, choline, methyl folate.
3) Dietary folate, B12, and polyphenols. All of these things help to limit Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor activity.
4) Cholesterol excretagogues such as dandelions. You could use Pu-Ehr tea extract.
5) Bitter flavors such as dandelions. These activate bitter taste receptors and release GLP-1, the active ingredient in popular weight loss drugs like semaglutide.

Things hibernators use to get INTO torpor (Immergence):
1) Dietary MUFA. Often in the form of insects.
2) Dietary PUFA. Often in the form of nuts/acorns. The grizzly bears in Yellostone use pine nuts.
3) Dietary fructose. From fruit.
4) Lack of folate/B12/polyphenols.“

View: https://youtu.be/0f2xvn7lWao

Sitaruîm

If you look at the charts of the bear's diet during the seasons it's clearly the PUFA from nuts that fattens them. The increase in fructose and and MUFA consumption pales in comparison to the increase in PUFA consumption.

Apple

If you look at the charts of the bear's diet during the seasons it's clearly the PUFA from nuts that fattens them. The increase in fructose and and MUFA consumption pales in comparison to the increase in PUFA consumption.
I think they get most of their essential PUFA from salmon.

Salmon are a high calorie meal for a bear. A sockeye salmon contains about 4500 calories, but the fattiest parts of the fish contain the most calories proportionally. Bears know this and prefer to eat the skin, brain, and eggs—the fattiest parts of a salmon—when fish are in abundance. This is an ephemeral behavior, however. When salmon are not abundant or hard to catch then bears will not be as selective and will most often eat the whole fish.

Normal Human

I'm a big fan of Brad's research, writing, and ideas. However, the fundamental thing I don't get, is that if weight-gain is equivalent to "reductive stress" (i.e., too many electrons), then why isn't fasting (multi-day water fast, NOT "intermittent fasting") the best way to get out of reductive stress (since when fasting there are no more electrons from food coming in). All of this effort to use specific nutrients to "escape torpor" and "reverse reductive stress" does not seem very fruitful imo, based on the fact that I've not really read any single success story in any of the comments.

I think there is a lot of merit to the comparison between hypo-metabolic humans and the physiological state known as torpor, and I believe the association between PUFA consumption and torpor makes perfect sense. However, I'm not seeing the hypothesized solutions actually working for people.

DrJ

Grizzly bears are the most appropriate model organism: monogastric, large-bodied, omnivorous hibernators. We also happen to have very detailed knowledge about their diet and it may not be what you think.

Before that, I look at the argument that you really ARE in torpor, how you got there and ways to determine whether you are.

Signs that you might be IN torpor include low Vitamin B6, high kynurenine, high homocysteine, high nicotinamide and high 4-HNE (Ox-LDL).

(Emergence):
1) oxidants like succinate, alpha-ketoglutarate and pyruvate. These help inject oxygen so that you can burn fat.
2) Methyl groups in the form of SAMe. You could also use betaine, choline, methyl folate.
3) Dietary folate, B12, and polyphenols. All of these things help to limit Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor activity.
4) Cholesterol excretagogues such as dandelions. You could use Pu-Ehr tea extract.
5) Bitter flavors such as dandelions. These activate bitter taste receptors and release GLP-1, the active ingredient in popular weight loss drugs like semaglutide.

2) Dietary PUFA. Often in the form of nuts/acorns. The grizzly bears in Yellostone use pine nuts.

Super interesting. Thanks for posting.

LastingJoy

(Emergence):

Hi, in the graph it says that bears consume more fruit from late June/July, with a peak in August, and a drastic reduction in September, how does he infer from this graph that this is a significant contributor to their torpor, and how does he infer that this is caused exclusively by the "fructose" in the fruit, rather than a combination of elements in the fruit? I didn't watch every second of the video, I clicked, does he mention temperature variation, light intensity, day length, and their effects on the bear, independent of food?

cremes

Hi, in the graph it says that bears consume more fruit from late June/July, with a peak in August, and a drastic reduction in September, how does he infer from this graph that this is a significant contributor to their torpor, and how does he infer that this is caused exclusively by the "fructose" in the fruit, rather than a combination of elements in the fruit? I didn't watch every second of the video, I clicked, does he mention temperature variation, light intensity, day length, and their effects on the bear, independent of food?
He does not mention temperature, light, or day length. The focus is exclusively on nutrients.

Sitaruîm

I think they get most of their essential PUFA from salmon.

Salmon are a high calorie meal for a bear. A sockeye salmon contains about 4500 calories, but the fattiest parts of the fish contain the most calories proportionally. Bears know this and prefer to eat the skin, brain, and eggs—the fattiest parts of a salmon—when fish are in abundance. This is an ephemeral behavior, however. When salmon are not abundant or hard to catch then bears will not be as selective and will most often eat the whole fish.
Could be, I was referring to this graph. For anyone interested, it's at 27:34 in the video

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520-090318.png
    Screenshot_20230520-090318.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 23

LadyRae

The black bears my daughter and I viewed while hiking through North Cascades national Park last august, were munching on these very dry and fibrous berries that were not sweet and plump like blueberries or huckleberries... We kept seeing big piles of practically whole/ somewhat squished berries in the middle of the trail and realized it was the bear scat. Lots and lots of fiber, and I suspect the bears were eating them for the polyphenols.

There were lots of streams and lakes nearby and none of the bears were busy fishing...

My educated guess to all this is that the bears body recognizes the shortening length of the day/ decreased light, and cooler nights. Bears will really eat whatever is available in their environment including garbage.

EnergeticLeo

I'm a big fan of Brad's research, writing, and ideas. However, the fundamental thing I don't get, is that if weight-gain is equivalent to "reductive stress" (i.e., too many electrons), then why isn't fasting (multi-day water fast, NOT "intermittent fasting") the best way to get out of reductive stress (since when fasting there are no more electrons from food coming in). All of this effort to use specific nutrients to "escape torpor" and "reverse reductive stress" does not seem very fruitful imo, based on the fact that I've not really read any single success story in any of the comments.

I think there is a lot of merit to the comparison between hypo-metabolic humans and the physiological state known as torpor, and I believe the association between PUFA consumption and torpor makes perfect sense. However, I'm not seeing the hypothesized solutions actually working for people.
These are some interesting points, and they got me thinking.

I think fasting isn't the long term solution because when you fast, your body temp drops, and the cells' redox balance shifts towards a reduced state (higher NADH:NAD ratio) because reliance on fat burning increases relative to glucose burning. Maybe at the start of a fasting period, there is a reduction in reductive stress, but soon the body will lower metabolic rate and shift the cells' redox balance.

On the other hand, by feeding the body foods that signal abundant environmental resources e.g. sugar, and saturated fat, it gets convinced that energy is abundant, increases body temp, thyroid, progesterone, androgens etc.. all of which shift the cells towards a relatively oxidised state, where any food that comes in is quickly metabolised, and there is less chance for a chronic buildup of NADH / electrons / reductive stress.

Szent-Gyorgyi said that the more electronically 'desaturated' the organism is, the more alive it is. i.e. the quicker the electrons are 'sucked up' from food by the organism through the electron transport chain, the more animated and lively it becomes.

Let me know what you think about these arguments.

I recently read this and I reckon it can be counted as a success story Sandra's Story - Fire In A Bottle - her body temp rose dramatically while weight decreased.

Maybe this is even more convincing in terms of results Sterculia Oil: Metabolic Results Number One - Fire In A Bottle - Brad actually showed his oxygen consumption went up, and Peat has mentioned multiple times that measuring O2 consumption and CO2 production was the gold standard - the ultimate metric - and that body temp was just a crude approximation of this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom