The elite promote diversity...because it prevents unity (against them)

haidut

Forum Supporter
The article is seemingly about unions and corporations manipulating their employees, but the same ideas apply on the scale of societies/countries too. Diversity - in the workplace, in the arts, in science, in the govt, and in society as a whole - suddenly became a hot topic some time in the early 2000s and its "importance" has not waned since then. If anything, it has dramatically intensified over the last decade and has become a core principle of the "woke" segment of society. Yet, the fact that the elite corporatocracy is actively promoting/funding diversity in every aspect of society should give a pause to any sane human who knows how money works and what the elites spend their money on - i.e. things that give them more and more control over the "plebs" (us). I wonder if there is some critical value for that "diversity index" beyond which not only is there no unity of any sorts but the structure breaks down - i.e. a riot in the company store when applied to a specific corporation, and civil war when applied to society as a whole. Also, since rioting/wars are arguably disruptive for business, I wonder if there is some way for companies or govt. to control the diversity index and prevent it from going too high, when needed...

@Drareg @Regina @tankasnowgod

"...Leaked internal documents from Amazon-owned Whole Foods reveal the company rates their stores using a "diversity index" and determined the threat of unionization is "higher" at stores with "lower diversity."

From Business Insider, "Amazon-owned Whole Foods is quietly tracking its employees with a heat map tool that ranks which stores are most at risk of unionizing":
Whole Foods is keeping an eye on stores at risk of unionizing through an interactive heat map, according to five people with knowledge of the matter and internal documents viewed by Business Insider.

The heat map is powered by an elaborate scoring system, which assigns a rating to each of Whole Foods' 510 stores based on the likelihood that their employees might form or join a union.

The stores' individual risk scores are calculated from more than two dozen metrics, including employee "loyalty," turnover, and racial diversity [...]

Store-risk metrics include average store compensation, average total store sales, and a "diversity index" that represents the racial and ethnic diversity of every store. Stores at higher risk of unionizing have lower diversity and lower employee compensation, as well as higher total store sales and higher rates of workers' compensation claims, according to the documents.
This should give you a clue as to why our Woke Capitalist rulers are so eager to preach the mantra of "diversity.

tankasnowgod

When I think of critics of Diversity (especially diversity simply for diversity's sake), the two people that come to my mind are Pat Buchanan and Muhammad Ali.

There's a part of this Politico article on Buchanan that sums it up perfectly-

Ultimately Buchanan lasted a full decade at the left-wing cable news outlet before he published the book that would, finally, end his national broadcast career. In early 2012, months after Buchanan published Suicide of a Superpower, MSNBC fired him over provocative passages in the book relating to demographic change in America. Officials at 30 Rock were exceptionally disgusted with one chapter, “The End of White America,” in which Buchanan warned of the dire consequences brought on by what he had often called the “mass invasion” of immigrants from poor countries.

“Can Western civilization survive the passing of the European peoples whose ancestors created it and their replacement by Third World immigrants?” Buchanan wrote in his column the day of the book’s release, pre-emptively defending what he knew would be a polarizing thesis. “Probably not, for the new arrivals seem uninterested in preserving the old culture they have found.”

Buchanan will go to his grave believing exactly that. He swears he has no personal animus toward people who don’t look like him; in fact, he says, the immigrant groups he interacts with in northern Virginia are “always smiling” and seem like wonderful members of the community. “Obviously they love America,” Buchanan tells me. “The question is, what is it that holds us together? The neocons say we’re an ideological people bound together by what Lincoln said at Gettysburg and what Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence, and that’s what makes us one nation. But my tradition of conservatism says it’s not; it’s the idea of culture and faith and belief and history and heroes and holidays.”

He takes a long pause. “Can you have a nation that consists of all the people in the world—and be one people?”

So, publically, the "Woke Capitalists" would vehemently disagree with Buchanan, and even fire him for his views. But privately, they seem to agree, and use "diversity" to further their own economic interests, and as a weapon against the general public.

Here is a clip of Muhammad Ali, saying basically the same thing-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiWFLsgVi4

Last edited:

yerrag

I can't help but think whether this was how Rome fell. Rome in its heyday also promoted diversity as it would be very open to assimilation from other peoples. I used to think of that as perhaps a good approach given an expanding empire needed diversity. Perhaps that may be so, but the elite in power may have seen the power of diversity being something that works to their advantage, from the standpoint of them being to divide and conquer from its own citizens. The elite is not concerned about Rome's staying power, just as our elites aren't. They don't care if Rome crumbles or not, as during its fall, there is plenty of opportunity to milk the coffers dry from one crisis to another. There comes a point where the coffers have nothing more to give, and by then, the elites are already elsewhere enjoying the fruits of their raids.

The native Etruscans of Rome may just be like the native "whites" of the US, helpless against the elites that pillage as they govern.

Last edited:

grithin

"I wonder if there is some critical value for that "diversity index" beyond which not only is there no unity of any sorts but the structure breaks down - i.e. a riot in the company store when applied to a specific corporation, and civil war when applied to society as a whole"

Nope. Though the units might be less stable, they are in a system of control. It is the unity that allows riots. Just look at BLM, for instance. Without a unifying cause, the force of the individual units is minor and easily controlled within the system.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
When I think of critics of Diversity (especially diversity simply for diversity's sake), the two people that come to my mind are Pat Buchanan and Muhammad Ali.

There's a part of this Politico article on Buchanan that sums it up perfectly-

So, publically, the "Woke Capitalists" would vehemently disagree with Buchanan, and even fire him for his views. But privately, they seem to agree, and use "diversity" to further their own economic interests, and as a weapon against the general public.

Here is a clip of Muhammad Ali, saying basically the same thing-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiWFLsgVi4

Did not know Ali was so well-grounded. No wonder he despised so many of the "elite" social justice warriors of his time.

CreakyJoints

It's interesting to note two things: firstly in the link to the other article with the video of the strike, there appears to be plenty of diversity in the people on the picket line. Secondly, the rest of the paragraph after the bit the author bolded from the Business Insider article they quoted. I've inverted the bolding here, because I actually think the second part might actually be much more relevant to why those particular stores are at higher risk of strike action:

"Stores at higher risk of unionizing have lower diversity and lower employee compensation, as well as higher total store sales and higher rates of workers' compensation claims, according to the documents."

So we can perhaps conclude that they are paid less, worked harder, and subjected to worse conditions than the average employee in the same position - diversity may play into it, but I'm not sure it's the most relevant factor in the "two dozen" metrics they claim to track, just based on the text provided in the article itself.

Regina

The article is seemingly about unions and corporations manipulating their employees, but the same ideas apply on the scale of societies/countries too. Diversity - in the workplace, in the arts, in science, in the govt, and in society as a whole - suddenly became a hot topic some time in the early 2000s and its "importance" has not waned since then. If anything, it has dramatically intensified over the last decade and has become a core principle of the "woke" segment of society. Yet, the fact that the elite corporatocracy is actively promoting/funding diversity in every aspect of society should give a pause to any sane human who knows how money works and what the elites spend their money on - i.e. things that give them more and more control over the "plebs" (us). I wonder if there is some critical value for that "diversity index" beyond which not only is there no unity of any sorts but the structure breaks down - i.e. a riot in the company store when applied to a specific corporation, and civil war when applied to society as a whole. Also, since rioting/wars are arguably disruptive for business, I wonder if there is some way for companies or govt. to control the diversity index and prevent it from going too high, when needed...

@Drareg @Regina @tankasnowgod

"...Leaked internal documents from Amazon-owned Whole Foods reveal the company rates their stores using a "diversity index" and determined the threat of unionization is "higher" at stores with "lower diversity."

From Business Insider, "Amazon-owned Whole Foods is quietly tracking its employees with a heat map tool that ranks which stores are most at risk of unionizing":

This should give you a clue as to why our Woke Capitalist rulers are so eager to preach the mantra of "diversity.
Dean Henderson

View: https://www.veoh.com/watch/v142105018mrtPPYg2

gaze

View: https://youtu.be/V9XeyBd_IuA

reminds me of this "there is no america. there is no democracy. there is only IBM, and ITT, and ATT. and Dupont, Dow, union carbine and exxon. those are the nations of today"

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Muhammad had such low inhibition, excellent verbal prowess, humour and high androgen outputs. No feminization there. What a great man

Mike Tyson, aside from his anger issues (due to childhood abuse), also has similar behavior/swagger and remarkably rich expressiveness in language. There are several sites out there collecting his more notable quotes for posterity. My personal favorite - "You get old too soon and smart too late".

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It's interesting to note two things: firstly in the link to the other article with the video of the strike, there appears to be plenty of diversity in the people on the picket line. Secondly, the rest of the paragraph after the bit the author bolded from the Business Insider article they quoted. I've inverted the bolding here, because I actually think the second part might actually be much more relevant to why those particular stores are at higher risk of strike action:

"Stores at higher risk of unionizing have lower diversity and lower employee compensation, as well as higher total store sales and higher rates of workers' compensation claims, according to the documents."

So we can perhaps conclude that they are paid less, worked harder, and subjected to worse conditions than the average employee in the same position - diversity may play into it, but I'm not sure it's the most relevant factor in the "two dozen" metrics they claim to track, just based on the text provided in the article itself.

Agreed, but the point of the article is that corporations are promoting diversity on purpose because they expect it would decrease unity. And they are doing it across all of their locations/properties, not just the high-grossing, low-paid ones. Maybe it is a combination of "approaches" (not just diversity), most of which we don't know about as few of them get leaked. I could see how a combination of low pay and high diversity may have synergistic effects on dis-unity as people will be looking for somebody to blame for their financial situation and the "alien" next to them would be the easiest choice. It goes without saying that these corporations are certainly also doing everything they can to suppress salaries - i.e. Amazon's recent efforts against its workers in Alabama, Google aggressively monitoring/tracking its employees who mentioned unionizing or lobbying for higher salaries across the board, Walmart doing targeted layoffs of people with "union potential", etc, etc.

Regina

Mike Tyson, aside from his anger issues (due to childhood abuse), also has similar behavior/swagger and remarkably rich expressiveness in language. There are several sites out there collecting his more notable quotes for posterity. My personal favorite - "You get old too soon and smart too late".
I gotta find my picture of me n Mike.
Many years ago, he hit on me at an airport. Planes were grounded for hours. I think he was just bored. I was in a magazine shop looking at architectural digest. He was over my shoulder saying, "nice". And, "Oh that's pretty. I like that too." I was just sortof laughing inside, not knowing who this jokester was. And then he says, "You wanna go get a drink with me?" I looked back and almost fell on the floor. "MIKE!" I started laughing. He said, "I ain't that funny-looking, am I?" Which made me laugh hysterically even more. I declined the drink but asked for a picture with him. He was very sweet about it. I gave him a hug goodbye and said "luv ya Mike."

CreakyJoints

Agreed, but the point of the article is that corporations are promoting diversity on purpose because they expect it would decrease unity. And they are doing it across all of their locations/properties, not just the high-grossing, low-paid ones. Maybe it is a combination of "approaches" (not just diversity), most of which we don't know about as few of them get leaked. I could see how a combination of low pay and high diversity may have synergistic effects on dis-unity as people will be looking for somebody to blame for their financial situation and the "alien" next to them would be the easiest choice. It goes without saying that these corporations are certainly also doing everything they can to suppress salaries - i.e. Amazon's recent efforts against its workers in Alabama, Google aggressively monitoring/tracking its employees who mentioned unionizing or lobbying for higher salaries across the board, Walmart doing targeted layoffs of people with "union potential", etc, etc.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but the article you've linked and the Business Insider article it is quoting don't actually seem to say anything about them promoting it, just that they track it. Perhaps I missed something, of course.

I worry that some of these articles actually just promote resentment between people of different racial backgrounds and do nothing to address the fact that companies like Amazon are colossal bastards. It almost seems rather convenient: a document leaks about borderline sadistic business practices, but it's not the fact that we value profit far above human health, it's actually because the demographics aren't homogenised.

I believe it would behoove the non-elite to unite in solidarity whatever their heritage. The elite probably realise that, and that's why the 'diversity' aspect is being so carefully focused on, because people are possibly less likely to unite if they believe those at their own level are the problem.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I gotta find my picture of me n Mike.
Many years ago, he hit on me at an airport. Planes were grounded for hours. I think he was just bored. I was in a magazine shop looking at architectural digest. He was over my shoulder saying, "nice". And, "Oh that's pretty. I like that too." I was just sortof laughing inside, not knowing who this jokester was. And then he says, "You wanna go get a drink with me?" I looked back and almost fell on the floor. "MIKE!" I started laughing. He said, "I ain't that funny-looking, am I?" Which made me laugh hysterically even more. I declined the drink but asked for a picture with him. He was very sweet about it. I gave him a hug goodbye and said "luv ya Mike."

Apparently, many people found him very nice in person. Nothing like what the media painted him as. I suspect the rape thing was a setup as he was starting to get very political at the time and people were starting to listen to Iron Mike.

LucyL

I believe it would behoove the non-elite to unite in solidarity whatever their heritage. The elite probably realise that, and that's why the 'diversity' aspect is being so carefully focused on, because people are possibly less likely to unite if they believe those at their own level are the problem.
Yeah - there are plenty of examples of people in this country uniting freely over values/ outlooks on life regardless of their origin or skin color. Corporate diversity has always been about breaking up that diversity, using skin color as a cover.

Stores at higher risk of unionizing have lower diversity and lower employee compensation, as well as higher total store sales and higher rates of workers' compensation claims, according to the documents."

This is what confuses so many people. For a long time conservatives have held that profit is king, without being able to explain why wokeness is so popular, even perhaps buying into it because surely it wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't profitable. They never factor in the profit of power.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I agree with the sentiment of your post, but the article you've linked and the Business Insider article it is quoting don't actually seem to say anything about them promoting it, just that they track it. Perhaps I missed something, of course.

I worry that some of these articles actually just promote resentment between people of different racial backgrounds and do nothing to address the fact that companies like Amazon are colossal bastards. It almost seems rather convenient: a document leaks about borderline sadistic business practices, but it's not the fact that we value profit far above human health, it's actually because the demographics aren't homogenised.

I hope the OP is not interpreted as a call to hate the "alien" as if they are the enemy. It was simply to illustrate a pernicious form of divide and conquer, since it has been known in psychological research for decades that people are much more likely to distrust and get violent against people unlike them. Basically, the "redirected aggression" stemming from various forms of oppression (such as deteriorating financial prospects) is more likely to manifest in physical violence and avoidance of unity when the group is very diverse. And I don't think there is any doubt that most of the large companies, and especially FAANG, as well as various members of the "elite" such as Bill Gates, Bezos, Zuck, Dorsey, etc have all been very avid promoters of diversity in the workplace. When the elite is so keen on promoting a specific idea it is probably because it is in their interest, and the article in the OP simply gives a possible explanation behind the diversity push. At this point, diversity (of all kinds, especially gender/sexual) is almost a national strategy in most Western countries at all levels of society, not just in business.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I'd agree too, but it doesn't have to be most relevant. The fact that they track it at suggests it has a bearing.

Also, it could depend on the kind of diversity. A few racial differences probably wouldn't have that much of an effect (unless the company somehow tried to exploit that). But if the store was divided by language differences? Well, it's gonna be really hard to organize if you can't communicate beyond a very basic level. Maybe at a certain level of the "diversity index," it becomes a much bigger impediment.

Back
Top Bottom