The Effect Of Music On Testosterone Levels

Aymen

Negative correlation between salivary testosterone concentration and preference for sophisticated music in males:

Negative correlation between salivary testosterone concentration and preference for sophisticated music in males - ScienceDirect
Abstract :
Music constitutes an integral part of everyday life. There is great variation in preference patterns for music. However, the cause of such individual differences has not been fully elucidated to date. Many behavioral traits, including personality, are known to be influenced by steroid-hormone testosterone. On this basis, we conjectured that testosterone partly determines individual differences in music preference. To examine this hypothesis, in the present study, we investigated the association between salivary testosterone concentration and strength of preference for five different music types in young males and females. The results revealed a significant negative correlation between salivary testosterone concentration and preference for sophisticated music, such as classical and jazz in males. This relationship was not mediated by the big-five personality traits. These findings indicate the possibility that neuroendocrinological function can exert influences on music preference patterns.
"The results revealed a significant negative correlation between salivary testosterone concentration and preference for sophisticated music, such as classical and jazz in males"

The effects of music and visual stress on testosterone and cortisol in men and women:

The effects of music and visual stress on testosterone and cortisol in men and women. - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract

OBJECTIVES:
The aims of the present study were to examine sex-related differences in testosterone (T) and cortisol (C) changes with music listening and visual stress.

SETTING AND DESIGN:
Saliva T and C concentrations were measured in 88 healthy college students (44 males and 44 females). These subjects were placed in one of 4 different conditions: (1) 30 min of listening to music, (2) 30 min of listening to music with visual stress (documentary film without sound including violent scenes), (3) 30 min of visual stress without music, and (4) 30 min of silence.

METHODS:
All subjects provided two saliva samples, one collected before intervention and the other after intervention. T and C levels were assessed by radio immuno assay (RIA).

RESULTS:
There was a significant difference between the sexes in the way music affected T. Music decreased T in males, whereas it increased T in females. As for C, no sex-related differences were found under any of the conditions studied. C decreased with music and increased under other conditions. THE MAIN FINDINGS: Our data suggests that the effects of music and stress on T differ between males and females.

CONCLUSION:
Further investigation is necessary to evaluate the relationships between music and other substances, the effect of degree of preference and hormonal changes not only during music listening but also during music plays and creation.

"There was a significant difference between the sexes in the way music affected T. Music decreased T in males, whereas it increased T in females"

Influence of music on steroid hormones and the relationship between receptor polymorphisms and musical ability: a pilot study:

Influence of music on steroid hormones and the relationship between receptor polymorphisms and musical ability: a pilot study

Abstract :
Studies have shown that music confers plasticity to the brain. In a preliminary pilot study, we examined the effect of music listening on steroid hormones and the relationship between steroid hormone receptor polymorphisms and musical ability. Twenty-one subjects (10 males and 11 females) were recruited and divided into musically talented and control groups. The subjects selected (1) music they preferred (chill-inducing music) and (2) music they did not like. Before and after the experiments, saliva was collected to measure the levels of steroid hormones such as testosterone, estradiol, and cortisol. DNA was also isolated from the saliva samples to determine the androgen receptor (AR) and arginine vasopressin receptor 1A genotypes. Advanced Measures of Music Audiation (AMMA) was used to determine the musical ability of the subjects. With both types of music, the cortisol levels decreased significantly in both sexes. The testosterone (T) levels declined in males when they listened to both types of music. In females, the T levels increased in those listening to chill-inducing music but declined when they listened to music they disliked. However, these differences were not significant. The 17-beta estradiol levels increased in males with both types of music, whereas the levels increased with chill-inducing music but declined with disliked music in females. The AMMA scores were higher for the short repeat length-type AR than for the long repeat length-type. Comparisons of AR polymorphisms and T levels before the experiments showed that the T levels were within the low range in the short repeat length-type group and there was a positive relationship with the repeat length, although it was not significant. This is the first study conducted in humans to analyze the relationships between the AR gene, T levels, and musical ability.

looks like in the last study estrogen increased in males and testosterone declined but cortisol decreased too .

OP
A

Aymen

Interesting.

But if some music are dopaminergic then they must improve T levels!

10 Songs That Will Get You High(Dopaminergic), According To Science
i saw many studies that music can increase dopamine so i thought it will increase testosterone and there is no need to search for studies about "Music and Testosterone " but suddently i typed music and testosterone and found those studies giving a negative results especially for men , so maybe there are some types of music that can be good and others are bad ! .. i personally never used ear muffs because it doesn't make me feel good.

paymanz

i saw many studies that music can increase dopamine so i thought it will increase testosterone and there is no need to search for studies about "Music and Testosterone " but suddently i typed music and testosterone and found those studies giving a negative results especially for men , so maybe there are some types of music that can be good and others are bad ! .. i personally never used ear muffs because it doesn't make me feel good.
Yeah,these things are a bit complicated.

Ulysses

However, these differences were not significant.
Anyways, high testosterone people are theoretically the likeliest to spend significant amounts of time in places where they can get laid, such as bars, clubs, house parties, etc., which also happen to be the places most likely to play horrible music. Maybe these people start to enjoy bad music from sheer habituation. I grew up on jazz and classical and still ended up having some nostalgic and sentimental associations with truly awful pieces of music (e.g. LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem) simply because I heard them frequently during my teenage years, which made them the soundtrack to some really formative and cherished experiences. I mean, if it weren't for the power of these associations, there wouldn't be a "music industry," probably.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals