The Dope On Blocking Fatty Acid Oxidation

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Chronic low with some reactive when I drop bread for fruit.
Have you tested insulin, cortisol and thyroid?
If insulin is chronically too high, then it can cause chronic hypoglycemia.

Recoen

Have you tested insulin, cortisol and thyroid?
If insulin is chronically too high, then it can cause chronic hypoglycemia.
Insulin is low normal
Tsh was 1.1. I’m trying to get T3, T4, rev T3, revT4 measured though because my hands and feet have been historically cold. I also think I had Kocher-Debre-Semelaigne syndrome as a child given my lower leg hypertrophy, short stature, etc.
I’ll also try to test cortisol too.

Jessie

@tankasnowgod This might seem like a dumb question, but who sells just pure stearic acid? I'd like to try it, but I've never seen this product before. Is it heat stable? Can you cook with it?

Tarmander

I have read a few reports of people taking Mildronate and it increasing weight and fat gain long term

Anything to that? Have you tried it personally?

Vinny

@tankasnowgod This might seem like a dumb question, but who sells just pure stearic acid? I'd like to try it, but I've never seen this product before. Is it heat stable? Can you cook with it?
Check the Croissant Experiment thread, it may give you some answers.

Chronic low with some reactive when I drop bread for fruit.

Eating well cooked white rice for breakfast is essential for me to have completely stable blood sugar at work. I was reading the Aajonus Vonderplantitz book and he recommended starch for binding insulin, so that probably explains my success there.

Rice and bread are entirely glucose, whereas fruit is only 50% glucose (roughly).

tankasnowgod

You can find Food Grade USP/NF stuff on Amazon, but that tends to be half Stearic, half Palmitic. The Palmitic part doesn't bother me, I think all the SFAs are pretty beneficial. It does seem to have a noticeable impact (basing that on temp increase after a meal).

Brad at Fireinabottle.net is selling 90% Stearic Food Grade at the consumer level- Shop For Metabolic Enhancement Products - Fire In A Bottle

You can find a few sites selling Steryl Alcohol NF grade, too. Some also sell Cetearyl Alcohol, with a higher percentage as Steryl, like 70%.

You can cook with it, but it needs to be in the right kind of food. With a melting point around 130, it can turn hard and waxy before eating. It does seem to mix well into scrambled eggs, FYI.

If you check the above mentioned Croissant Diet thread, you find a lot of people melting it well into starchy foods, like bread, rice, and potatoes. Since I'm really enjoying the No Starch diet at the moment, I've just been eating a teaspoon of the flakes. Others have had success doing that.

Recoen

Eating well cooked white rice for breakfast is essential for me to have completely stable blood sugar at work. I was reading the Aajonus Vonderplantitz book and he recommended starch for binding insulin, so that probably explains my success there.

Rice and bread are entirely glucose, whereas fruit is only 50% glucose (roughly).
Will you please explain what you mean by the starch binding insulin?

I definitely think it has to do with fructose metabolism. Fructose is metabolized in the liver where a lot of glucose passes through into the blood. “Under one percent of ingested fructose is directly converted to plasma triglyceride.[2] 29% - 54% of fructose is converted in liver to glucose, and about a quarter of fructose is converted to lactate. 15% - 18% is converted to glycogen.[3].” My urine pH dropped during the no starch trial, I had increased muscle twitching, smelled like keto acids, etc. - more lactic acid and also serotonin symptoms. I also wonder if I also had some bacteria die off causing more LPS.

My EMG showed potential glycogen storage issues; I’m waiting for a muscle biopsy to confirm. Any thoughts on how to help fructose become glycogen would definitely be appreciated!

@yerrag ”Unlike glucose, fructose is not an insulinsecretagogue, and can in fact lower circulating insulin.[5],”

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have read a few reports of people taking Mildronate and it increasing weight and fat gain long term

Anything to that? Have you tried it personally?
I haven't tried it myself, but I got some Pyrucet on the way.
You won't know for sure if the meldonium resulted in increased weight gain on its own if the people didn't count calories

yerrag

The thing I don't like about stearic acid and stearyl alcohol is that the best I can find is food grade, but they're mostly available as cosmetic grade.

I consider food grade the grade that's fed to food animals - animals grown to become food for us. I used to think that food grade is fine, but I've begun to question that. Even when I buy USP grade, I have to check to make sure the heavy metals are below limits. With food grade, I have to assume there are more heavy metals, as they're a lower grade. With food grade, you can't ask for a COA, because there's none for this grade. Food grade is for food animals that get slaughtered before they develop chronic diseases or before they die of diseases. We're already indirectly eating food grade chemicals through the animals we eat. I don't think we need to add to that. Even with our pets, whom we don't want to eat but wish to live as long a life with us in health, we shouldn't be giving them food grade supplementation. But the pet foods are most likely made with food grade supplementation, and would cause chronic diseases in our pets.

If anyone's got a USP source of these, at reasonable prices (not the Sigma Aldrich prices), please let me know.

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about stearic acid and stearyl alcohol is that the best I can find is food grade, but they're mostly available as cosmetic grade.

I consider food grade the grade that's fed to food animals - animals grown to become food for us. I used to think that food grade is fine, but I've begun to question that. Even when I buy USP grade, I have to check to make sure the heavy metals are below limits. With food grade, I have to assume there are more heavy metals, as they're a lower grade. With food grade, you can't ask for a COA, because there's none for this grade. Food grade is for food animals that get slaughtered before they develop chronic diseases are die of diseases. We're already indirectly eating food grade chemicals through the animals we eat. I don't think we need to add to that. Even with our pets, whom we don't want to eat but wish to live as long a life with us in health, we shouldn't be giving them food grade supplementation. But the pet foods are most likely made with food grade supplementation, and would cause chronic diseases in our pets.

If anyone's got a USP source of these, at reasonable prices (not the Sigma Aldrich prices), please let me know.

probably a better idea just to use natural fats. White chocolate.

Tarmander

I haven't tried it myself, but I got some Pyrucet on the way.
You won't know for sure if the meldonium resulted in increased weight gain on its own if the people didn't count calories
This seems like too great a risk in packing on the pounds.

Not to mention Stearic acid has its own risks if you read the cocoa butter threads.

Jessie

Check the Croissant Experiment thread, it may give you some answers.
You can find Food Grade USP/NF stuff on Amazon, but that tends to be half Stearic, half Palmitic. The Palmitic part doesn't bother me, I think all the SFAs are pretty beneficial. It does seem to have a noticeable impact (basing that on temp increase after a meal).

Brad at Fireinabottle.net is selling 90% Stearic Food Grade at the consumer level- Shop For Metabolic Enhancement Products - Fire In A Bottle

You can find a few sites selling Steryl Alcohol NF grade, too. Some also sell Cetearyl Alcohol, with a higher percentage as Steryl, like 70%.

You can cook with it, but it needs to be in the right kind of food. With a melting point around 130, it can turn hard and waxy before eating. It does seem to mix well into scrambled eggs, FYI.

If you check the above mentioned Croissant Diet thread, you find a lot of people melting it well into starchy foods, like bread, rice, and potatoes. Since I'm really enjoying the No Starch diet at the moment, I've just been eating a teaspoon of the flakes. Others have had success doing that.
Thanks, this seems appealing, I'm gonna definitely try this. I don't mind half palmitic either, considering it has it's own benefits.

S-VV

I wonder why you would crave fats. Is the body trying to tell you it wants to burn those fats you were blocking from being metabolized? Would you have gained fat if you resisted eating those fats?
Yeah, I think my body needed the extra FFA oxidation, because as soon as I stopped meldonium and took high dose carnitine for a few weeks the fat cravings disappeared.

I probably would have gained less weight if I restricted fat or counted calories, but I usually eat whatever I want and stay stable at 21 -23% body fat and good caloric partitioning.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
This seems like too great a risk in packing on the pounds.

Not to mention Stearic acid has its own risks if you read the cocoa butter threads.
What do you mean with "too great a risk". Isn't it similar to cypro or something similar that increases appetite for some?

Also what kind of risks does stearic acid have? Are you referring to cocoa butter and gastritis?

Last edited:

Tarmander

What do you mean with "too great a risk". Isn't it similar to cypro or something similar that increases appetite for some?

Also what kind of risks does stearic acid have? Are you referring to cocoa butter and gastritis?

One thing I have learned overtime with health stuff is to think not in function and logic, but in risk/reward.

Too great a risk as in, if you do it, the chances you will gain weight to a significant degree overtime outweigh the theoretical benefits. But happy to be wrong and jump on board if people try it and get results.

Haidut posted some studies on stearic acid and losing weight and we all jumped on the cocoa butter train and it basically didn't do much, or in my case raised my A1C by 1.5 points. I am trying to remember some things I read about Stearic acid recently that were not favorable and I am drawing a blank sorry

tankasnowgod

One thing I have learned overtime with health stuff is to think not in function and logic, but in risk/reward.

Too great a risk as in, if you do it, the chances you will gain weight to a significant degree overtime outweigh the theoretical benefits. But happy to be wrong and jump on board if people try it and get results.

Haidut posted some studies on stearic acid and losing weight and we all jumped on the cocoa butter train and it basically didn't do much, or in my case raised my A1C by 1.5 points. I am trying to remember some things I read about Stearic acid recently that were not favorable and I am drawing a blank sorry

I agree, didn't see much success from people using cocoa butter, but at least a couple members reported some positive results from pure stearic, albeit short term

1938 research study demonstrates that stearic acid (or its salts) enhances the effects of testosterone on secondary organs like prostate and seminal vesicles.

http://www.jbc.org/content/122/2/297.full.pdf

Added:

Stearic also inhibits tumor metastases (which we already knew) and reduced visceral fat (by ~70% in mice). It increased lean muscle mass significantly. In fact in a more or less 1:1 ratio (by weight) with the visceral fat). And, finally, it significantly reduced serum glucose.

The method of action appears to be that stearic induces apoptosis of pre-adipocytes. If I am understanding correctly, that means that as fat cells die naturally, they won't be likely to be replaced by new fat cells.

Dietary Stearic Acid Leads to a Reduction of Visceral Adipose Tissue in Athymic Nude Mice

I am taking 1-2 teaspoons of stearic acid before breakfast and again before dinner. I've felt amazing. When I tried this before, I'd get irritable after a few days. RP suggested Mg supplementation which has been amazing. See above. I hope others will try this and report back. I'll update.

I'm just swallowing a heaped teaspoonful after meals. Trying to stir it into a hot drink is just messy and it doesn't stay dissolved very easily. It feels a lot like t3, very heating but the effect is quite short lived. I'm not counting the calories and that doesn't seem to matter as it's not slowing weight loss. If anything, it's helping. It's handy to take after egg or other meals with Pufas. If I couldn't get t3 I'd consider this a good surrogate. The slight taste it has is not unpleasant. I'll be looking at incorporating it into skin creams this year. It would also be good to find something to bake it into. Biscuits work well, the texture of brittleness makes them nice and crunchy, but I just don't love biscuits that much. I'll experiment.

Brad at FireInABottle also seemed to have success with Stearic Acid, although he was absolutely drenching any starch he ate with Stearic Acid and other highly saturated fats. Maybe what worked for him was essentially turning starches into antibiotics for the colon, similar to what Haidut suggested in mixing Coconut Oil with Activated Charcoal.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals