From reading Peat and other forum members, and applying some principles myself to try and increase it, I gotta say I LOVE DHT! Googling DHT, all you find is ideas on how to block it!
My hairline seems fine, so I'd like to go about continuing to try and increase it. I'm not yet willing to take the hormone directly, but rather I'd like to get a good checklist of supplements, foods, and lifestyle factors that will help my body make as much as possible on its own.
Why DHT is Awesome
- Great confidence
- Great erections
- Fantastic sex drive
- Deeper Voice
- Better workouts
Some Principles that I've picked up from reading the forum (please feel free to correct, add onto, etc):
- More testosterone is good, because T converts to DHT via 5AR enzyme
- So I guess we want all the things that can increase 5AR
- Thyroid function is somehow important (well it's good in general) but in particular it's involved in making DHT. I read this somewhere, would like to confirm/dis-confirm, and understand the mechanism why.
Known DHT Enhancers (please feel free to correct, add onto, etc):
- Fat Soluble Vitamins (A, D, E, K2)
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
- Vitamin B6
- Androsterone (* I'll put a star next to items that are hormones)
- T3 (*)
Possible DHT Enhancers
- Calcium (known to help increase T levels)
- Magnesium (known to help increase T levels)
- Zinc (helps with T but some sources say is dose-dependent effect)
- Sugar (seems to help with energy and thyroid, but online sources say sugar lowers T levels? Not my experience)
- Ginseng (pops up on Google)
- "Tribulus but the right concentration" (should find a source)
- "Nicotine to inhibit breakdown to weaker metabolites"
Food and Diet
- Not entirely sure for anything specific. Definitely avoiding PUFA and the usual suspects.
- But should we focus on higher carbs? Saturated fats?
- How important is protein as a proportion of total calories?
- Raw Milk
- Cholesterol (what are good food sources?)
- Being calm and in control
- Moving into managerial positions and having subordinates; increases social status and thus probably hormones
- Lots of sex
- High quality deep sleep
- "Winning", i.e. getting positive outcomes you want, and not feeling constrained and held down somehow
Help me add onto and clarify some of these topics, preferably with studies, Peat clips/readings, etc, and I'll update the OP so hopefully others can find useful as well :) Cheers
Have you performed bloodtests on DHT before and after trying to increase it?