The Danger Of Calcium In A Low Metabolic Rate... Is It True? How To Lower Prolactin Then?

I'm reading ray peat's book.. progesterone in orthmedical... now I'm reading through a list of potential problems that obviously estrogen promote.. to my surprise.. calcium was listed as well as estrogen to promote a lot of problems.

And here I am.. eating as much calcium as possible in order to lower my prolactin.. I wonder if I am doing something wrong actually by eating calcium with a low metabolic rate or without optimal blood circulating levels.. I wonder if I am doing myself a disservice.

Then comes the question of.. prolactin is lowered by calcium and magnesium... how to lower prolactin if calcium promotes many problems?

Here's what I mean:

p1ZgrGT.png

Did he turn on this or something? He's said before that people can have up to 2000mg of calcium a day or something according to some cultures.

DaveFoster

You're looking at this the wrong way. Estrogen and calcium are both necessary; the problem is excessive estrogen caused by an inflammatory physiological state.

OP
mayweatherking
You're looking at this the wrong way. Estrogen and calcium are both necessary; the problem is excessive estrogen caused by an inflammatory physiological state.

Yes, they are necessary, but it seems more necessary to have thyroid hormone and/or progesterone/preg/dhea as well in order to be able to properly handle said calcium? OR else you are just going to start screwing yourself up? Say, if you have low preg, and your cortisol is high, calcium will come in excess into the cell and damage it.

That's my thought process now... ray peat replied to me and said this:

A deficiency of calcium in the diet, or a deficiency of vitamin D, causes an increase of parathyroid hormone and a tendency of soft cells to take up calcium abnormally, exciting them. Estrogen can cause decreased bicarbonate in the blood (for example from hyperventilation), and that lets calcium enter cells (exciting them, as in the cramps of hyperventilation).
When cells are excited or de-energized, calcium enters them in excess, and can damage or kill them, When calcium is abundant in the diet, it has a calming, stabilitizing effect, reducing the tendency of cells to take up too much. Magnesium contributes to the stabilizing effect of calcium.

What I am getting at is that I notice a lot of people and including myself tend to have a negative effect to peating at first and start doing way worse at first. I wonder if this i the reason why.. if at first, you are not using thyroid or your progest/preg are very low... you are going to be damaging yourself more until things become more stabilized.

DaveFoster

Yes, they are necessary, but it seems more necessary to have thyroid hormone and/or progesterone/preg/dhea as well in order to be able to properly handle said calcium? OR else you are just going to start screwing yourself up? Say, if you have low preg, and your cortisol is high, calcium will come in excess into the cell and damage it.

That's my thought process now... ray peat replied to me and said this:

What I am getting at is that I notice a lot of people and including myself tend to have a negative effect to peating at first and start doing way worse at first. I wonder if this i the reason why.. if at first, you are not using thyroid or your progest/preg are very low... you are going to be damaging yourself more until things become more stabilized.
Exactly. Hormonal environment determines nutrient allocation.

There's an inevitable period where you introduce new compounds into the diet and upset the stability of your body; this is why people who start calcium or magnesium supplements initially get diarrhea, but then this goes away and they feel better than when they started.

michael94

Calcium in the cells is bad, I believe the fat soluble vitamins especially D/K2 are crucial for managing that as well as having a good magnesium level. Dietary calcium is not a problem imo, Brian mentions that calcium/magnesium compete for absorption which is true but you can just eat super high calcium foods separately to magnesium I think. I may be wrong on that one.

There are other things that protect from calcium toxicity I believe but I cant speak too much on specifics