The D-galactose Content Of 1-2 Cups Of Milk Incudes Changes That Remble Natural Aging In Animals

tara

"Conclusions High milk intake was associated with higher mortality in one cohort of women and in another cohort of men, and with higher fracture incidence in women. Given the observational study designs with the inherent possibility of residual confounding and reverse causation phenomena, a cautious interpretation of the results is recommended."

tara

My guess is, not to take the study as terribly conclusive of anything because of the methods used and possible unidentified confounders?

jyb

you said:
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

I'm lost as to why lactose would be a problem, it goes against my intuition and what I've read before.

I see they cite mice studies to say previous work shows a problem with lactose. But those correspond to injections! So that's junk.

natedawggh

you said:
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

This is one of the craziest studies I've ever seen. Basically the margin of increase they observed was so small as to really be statistically irrelevant for every day people to even worry about. You want to avoid fractures? you'd probably be better off avoiding stairs than milk.

Also, questionnaire studies are inherently deceitful because the way questions are phrased can be leading, for instance if you asked someone how much milk you drink a day? that is not leading. But if you ask someone if they drink more than three glasses a day, that is leading because you have already supplanted an amount in their head, and depending on the person's already existing prejudices for any part of the question or why they're even doing the study could inadvertently or purposefully untruthful. Also, it is crazy to narrow this down to milk, because all those people could say also be prone to fractures from weak bones and so may have an innate craving for milk for the calcium, then by claiming the milk caused the fractures you'd encourage more people to avoid milk who actually need it.

EnoreeG

tara said:
My guess is, not to take the study as terribly conclusive of anything because of the methods used and possible unidentified confounders?

I imagine there's a lot more out there showing the connection of galactose with oxidative stress, as dozens of other studies intent of finding remedies to aging are using galactose as an agent to bring on premature aging in all kinds of animals. I doubt humans are immune.

Here's a short list of some studies:

http://science.naturalnews.com/G/Galactose_and_oxidative_stress.html

An example of one:

Blueberries to treat D-galactose-induced oxidative stress in liver

There also is a study showing they can give galactose to a 2 month old puppy and induce cataracts. It's quite amazing.

Effect of galactose worse in 2 month old puppies

I've been eating 15% galactose for over two years :ss :pray

EnoreeG

Such_Saturation said:
I've been eating 15% galactose for over two years :ss :pray
15% of total diet? We'll understand when we no longer see your cheery contributions. Maybe update your pic annually so we can determine the AGEing? 'Course we'll never know exactly when you cut the consumption way down. N=1's are like that (thank goodness). Change is good. Possibly the presidency awaits if you promise it.

burtlancast

Why would the human body use glucose to create galactose and then attach it to glucose to form lactose, if it caused oxidative stress ?

pboy

I didn't read all the studies details...but does this only apply to post weaned animals? I find it hard to believe that D galactose would be harmful if its in the breast milk of mammals, unless perhaps post weaning physical changes take place

EnoreeG said:
Possibly the presidency awaits if you promise it.

It shall be an oxidative dictatorship through and through. Resveratrol will be a Schedule 1 substance. Lewis chemistry will be mandatory since kindergarten.

jyb

EnoreeG said:
There also is a study showing they can give galactose to a 2 month old puppy and induce cataracts. It's quite amazing.

Effect of galactose worse in 2 month old puppies

But does it happen to puppies fed normal dog milk? I doubt it. Rather, I suspect they give the dogs a hyperglycaemic or diabetes causing diet, and the cataract is a common consequence of that. It does not seem specific to galactose. How convenient they didn't even have controls with 30% glucose.

So, similar situation as when human babies are fed commercial milk formula instead of proper milk?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6439498

The common biochemical factor found to initiate both types of sugar cataract is the formation of sugar alcohols (polyols) from either glucose or galactose by the enzyme aldose reductase (alditol: NADP+ 1-oxidoreductase, EC 1.1.1.21).

pboy

if they just fed the dogs (puppies) straight galactose, then its obvious what happened. Serotonin is the main cause of cataracts according to Peat, he spoke of a method of purposefully, reliably, inducing near immediate cataracts by injecting serotonin (probably a huge dose). Any time you eat a straight sugar, or starch, or anything like that without the cofactors to metabolize it properly you get an immediate serotonin response. Try drinking plain sugar water or eat plain rice and you'll feel that 'high' of serotonin in the forehead, like a non painful feeling but at the same time a feeling of having got punched or beat up or something...a semi asphyxiated feeling, its like a feeling of guilty satiation/sedation and it puts you into hibernation mind...like you want to be coddled and thoughts and drive for anything expansive are gone basically. Many modern people probably feel this a lot. Once again, reductionist isolation science at its best (worst). Guarantee you if they gave the dogs a solution with B vitamins potassium and magnesium at the same time, that wouldn't happen

its cool they know how to use machines and all that and have some level of knowing of chemistry, but as far as their groundedness, senses, thinking capacity and all that, its like dumber than an 8 year old
these guys are probably highly paid dudes in suits who feel like professionals because of their 'credentials' and have a sense of pride and eliteness thinking they are conducting science and I dunno, doing 'intelligent' things...lol...I don't mean to be rude but its like, our society is hilarious man...its why I have to make fun of it, theres no other option

EnoreeG

pboy said:
I didn't read all the studies details...but does this only apply to post weaned animals? I find it hard to believe that D galactose would be harmful if its in the breast milk of mammals, unless perhaps post weaning physical changes take place

burtlancast, pboy, jyb - I see your points, and agree. I think what a nursling can survive is not what an adult wants to continue with though, quite possibly.

burtlancast - there must be a use for the glactose in the infant's gut. If for nothing else but to require an initial breakdown into monosaccharides before glucose may be absorbed, thus extending the time sugars are available in the blood from each feeding.

This study shows that, once an infant has teeth, the different bacteria present in the mouth all utilize glucose more rapidly than galactose, thus effecting the formation of plaque and the pH of the mouth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7487576

If the same thing happens with the gut bacteria, you would see a greater distribution over time of bacterial utilization of the ingested sugars due to slower digestion, thus less competition, for the galactose. Just this would be a reason to include galactose in the mix. It would allow some extended feeding time for the infant gut because bacteria would not consume it as rapidly as the glucose, also probably forming less gas in the small intestine.

pboy - I think things change after weaning. No other animals besides humans get loads of milk in adulthood, or even as juveniles. BTW, I think they injected the galactose into the pups, so it probably wasn't serotonin.

jyb - yes, excess sugar is bad for the eyes, especially diabetic eyes! Galactose and fructose may be much more dangerous at forming advanced glycation end products (AGSs) than glucose, so a word to the wise....

We're all aging

But it's probably all about moderation and excess. After all, galactose is utilized in so may ways by the body, I think it's just important to not overdo the intake of the substance. I react to these milk sugars, so I don't drink milk, but if I did, I think I'd do full-fat milk, not low-fat which is going to be more concentrated in galactose.

Here's the good side of galactose:

Galactose is GOOD. Don't overdo it.

yourke

There are also positive studies on galactose, take your pick

"Results demonstrate that ingesting a solution containing GAL before and during exercise can positively impact postexercise satiety and energy balance throughout the day, compared to a more readily available and widely consumed form of CHO" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25932956

"The protective effect of galactose on X-ray cataract was seen whether galactose feeding was initiated either 1 week before or after exposure to X-ray. At 4 months after X-ray approximately 50% of galactose-fed animals had mature cataracts, compared to 100% in the control group"https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4085579

"Both groups of aged rats exhibited delayed ABR latencies (III, IV, V), MLR Pa latency, and I-IV interpeak latency. Moreover, increased mtDNA 4834 bp deletion rates, lipid peroxidation levels, rates of neuronal apoptosis and neurodegenerative changes in the AC, IC and CN were similar among the D-gal induced and NA rats. However, the threshold of ABR in the D-gal group showed no significant change from the control group. These observations suggest that age-related central auditory dysfunction and its corresponding pathological changes are present in both naturally aging rats and the D-gal mimetic aging model" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20470764