The Cure To Old Age - Dr. Peat September 1995

gaze

Low metabolic rates lends itself to these types of societies. I can say for myself I'm definitely way more selfish when I'm in a low metabolism and way more self-less and giving when in a high metabolic state. Being currently in a low metabolic state, and being perfectly 100% honest, I probably would be willing to step on a few toes if it meant getting me financial freedom quicker and thus finally breaking free from my stress and learned helplessness because I am fed up with low metabolism and would do whatever it takes to finally get out of it. A lot of problems thus IMO stem to metabolism. Everyone is serotonin dominant and it doesn't make for a very good society.

You should read the book “the dream of a ridiculous man” I know ray is very fond of it and it’s been mentioned a few times on some other threads on this forum. I think you’d enjoy it if you havnt already

lampofred

Low metabolic rates lends itself to these types of societies. I can say for myself I'm definitely way more selfish when I'm in a low metabolism and way more self-less and giving when in a high metabolic state. Being currently in a low metabolic state, and being perfectly 100% honest, I probably would be willing to step on a few toes if it meant getting me financial freedom quicker and thus finally breaking free from my stress and learned helplessness because I am fed up with low metabolism and would do whatever it takes to finally get out of it. A lot of problems thus IMO stem to metabolism. Everyone is serotonin dominant and it doesn't make for a very good society.

I think high CO2 levels would evolve society in an amazing way by lowering serotonin, estrogen. Yet there is a massive "war" on global warming. As a society we think we're doing good when we're actually doing the reverse. Like when we force ourselves to eat our vegetables & fish oil, exercise, etc.

gaze

I think high CO2 levels would evolve society in an amazing way by lowering serotonin, estrogen. Yet there is a massive war on global warming. As a society we think we're doing good when we're actually doing the reverse. Like when we force ourselves to eat our vegetables, exercise, etc.

Also people like joe rogan, david goggins, who are all mega celebrities who take thyroid, TRT, telling all these poor, stressed, humans to go run miles on end, enjoy stress, hit the gym everyday, don’t stop working, etc. etc. some overweight stressed 22 year old kid isn’t thinking about longevity or being relaxed, rather he sees these celebrities who have access to medications and food he doesn’t, with amazing bodies an “alpha” energy telling him to live in extreme stress and stop being a “loser”. While i think rogan goggins and these ultra fit celebrities have good intentions in mind, i wish kids had more information about the long term effects of strenuous exercise before essentially killing there metabolism.

LUH 3417

That's the fault of the people, not the wealth. Just because having wealth is more likely to make people spend it wastefully doesn't mean wealth should be demonized, it means the people should develop better characters. But instead wealth is demonized. It's analogous to proposing to wipe out the human population in order to maintain world peace.
The fault of what people? people get wealthy from human trafficking. What is your point? In order to become billionaire level wealthy you either inherit wealth or do something immoral for the most part. Very few people earn that kind of wealth from being kind. These are the same people who shot protesting strikers in coal mines. They did intentionally wicked things to suppress people and grow their wealth. Why don’t rich people teach other people how to get rich if they are so good and altruistic? Bc the point is you have to take from someone else, like a squirrel collecting nuts.

lampofred

The fault of what people? people get wealthy from human trafficking. What is your point? In order to become billionaire level wealthy you either inherit wealth or do something immoral for the most part. Very few people earn that kind of wealth from being kind. These are the same people who shot protesting strikers in coal mines. They did intentionally wicked things to suppress people and grow their wealth. Why don’t rich people teach other people how to get rich if they are so good and altruistic? Bc the point is you have to take from someone else, like a squirrel collecting nuts.

My friend's cousin is a billionaire. I've never met him personally, but according to my friend who takes ethics very seriously (and actually hates corporations in general), he is kind, honest, humble, and hardworking. He does have a Rolls Royce but is he supposed to live in poverty just because there are other people who are suffering? The above is just Bernie Sanders rhetoric. Blame rich people instead of discovering the real cause of a problem. It's just like Trump. Blame immigrants instead of discovering the real cause of the problem. Yeah there are some crooked billionaires, there are some crooked immigrants, but by and large these are decent people with decent intentions.

LUH 3417

My friend's cousin is a billionaire. I've never met him personally, but from my friend who takes ethics extremely seriously, he is kind, honest, humble, and hardworking. He does have a Rolls Royce but is he supposed to live in poverty just because there are other people who are suffering? The above is just Bernie Sanders rhetoric. Blame rich people instead of discovering the real cause of a problem. It's just like Trump. Blame immigrants instead of discovering the real cause of the problem. Yeah there are some crooked billionaires, there are some crooked immigrants, but by and large these are good people with good intentions.
Sure that exists too. How did he become a billionaire? Just curious. I still think the majority of billionaires have a strong commitment to making sure they stay rich and other people don’t. If you could grow wealth without exploiting or slighting other people that’s wonderful, but I can’t see how you can do that and use cheap labor. Maybe I am helplessly blind. I for instance work in the medical system. The people making the money for hospitals are paid the least. Is it because the owners of the hospital are altruistic and good, humble people they decide to collect the most money?

Cirion

Rich do teach other people. Robert kiyosaki I consider a fairly kind hearted man at least based upon his writing style and the way he writes his thoughts on paper. Actually, a lot of rich people are happy to talk to you about things. I think a lot of rich people get burned out trying to help people though, because most people don't listen to their advice. Robert gives examples of this. He tried to convince his own (poor) dad to do certain things but he wouldn't listen to him. Many (not all of course) poor people remain poor because they don't want to learn and take advice from people who are rich. Not the rich guys' fault that someone panic sold their stock during a down-market for example.

One of the few most common mistakes people make financially

-- Buying new cars (I'm guilty here lol). I'll never buy a car again though. I will lease in the future. Renting a depreciating "asset" makes sense IMO.
-- Going on frequent vacations or otherwise throwing your money out the trash
-- Buying huge fancy houses. In fact, owning a house is not always preferable to renting, contrary to popular belief
-- Don't pick individual stocks, pick tried and true funds like S+P. Yes even though I am invested in Bitcoin, I would say most people shouldn't get Bitcoin.
-- Stop wasting money living a lifestyle far above your means
-- Don't get student loans. In fact, maybe don't even go to college (gasp! people FREAK when you say this haha!)
-- Selling their stock in a down market "to avoid further losses". Statistics show that while the S+P has 10% average return the last 50 years, the average joe only has 4% return using S+P (showing that most people panic sell during market crashes). Hence stocks get labeled "risky" by people ignorant of how proper investing works.
-- ... just to name a couple.

But when you tell people not to do things on that list, they look at you weird/crazy...

Getting rich isn't even that hard. Anyone can do it and there are plenty of people happy to share their methods. It just involves disconnecting emotion from financial based decisions, investing in a few key index funds, and holding (i.e., no selling during a stock market crash!! in fact you should buy in a crash market), and living a frugal lifestyle. Anyone can easily be a millionaire, even a multi/Deca-millionaire. It does require a little more effort if you want to become a centi-millionaire or a billionaire, sure, I suppose, but even at that, it just requires scaling up thinking - starting to use more leveraging strategies, more real estate strategies, etc. But being a multi millionaire should be more than enough to satisfy most people.

People also love to rail on CEO's for being evil and greedy but the CEO of my company, at least from what I've seen, in our all-employee webcasts seems to be a very kind man and very friendly/outgoing. IT's clear how he got to be a CEO--not just because I'm sure he is very intelligent and wise with money, but also because he is very outgoing and friendly and good with people.

Last edited:

lampofred

Sure that exists too. How did he become a billionaire? Just curious. I still think the majority of billionaires have a strong commitment to making sure they stay rich and other people don’t. If you could grow wealth without exploiting or slighting other people that’s wonderful, but I can’t see how you can do that and use cheap labor. Maybe I am helplessly blind. I for instance work in the medical system. The people making the money for hospitals are paid the least. Is it because the owners of the hospital are altruistic and good, humble people they decide to collect the most money?

He owns an SAP consulting company.

The medical/pharmaceutical industry is definitely corrupt. But I don't agree with the idea that being rich necessarily means you are evil.

LUH 3417

Rich do teach other people. Robert kiyosaki I consider a fairly kind hearted man at least based upon his writing style and the way he writes his thoughts on paper. Actually, a lot of rich people are happy to talk to you about things. I think a lot of rich people get burned out trying to help people though, because most people don't listen to their advice. Robert gives examples of this. He tried to convince his own (poor) dad to do certain things but he wouldn't listen to him. Many (not all of course) poor people remain poor because they don't want to learn and take advice from people who are rich. Not the rich guys' fault that someone panic sold their stock during a down-market for example.

One of the few most common mistakes people make financially

-- Buying new cars (I'm guilty here lol). I'll never buy a car again though. I will lease in the future. Renting a depreciating "asset" makes sense IMO.
-- Going on frequent vacations or otherwise throwing your money out the trash
-- Buying huge fancy houses. In fact, owning a house is not always preferable to renting, contrary to popular belief
-- Don't pick individual stocks, pick tried and true funds like S+P. Yes even though I am invested in Bitcoin, I would say most people shouldn't get Bitcoin.
-- Stop wasting money living a lifestyle far above your means
-- Don't get student loans. In fact, maybe don't even go to college (gasp! people FREAK when you say this haha!)
-- Selling their stock in a down market "to avoid further losses". Statistics show that while the S+P has 10% average return the last 50 years, the average joe only has 4% return using S+P (showing that most people panic sell during market crashes). Hence stocks get labeled "risky" by people ignorant of how proper investing works.
-- ... just to name a couple.

But when you tell people not to do things on that list, they look at you weird/crazy...

Getting rich isn't even that hard. Anyone can do it and there are plenty of people happy to share their methods. It just involves disconnecting emotion from financial based decisions, investing in a few key index funds, and holding (i.e., no selling during a stock market crash!! in fact you should buy in a crash market), and living a frugal lifestyle. Anyone can easily be a millionaire, even a multi/Deca-millionaire. It does require a little more effort if you want to become a centi-millionaire or a billionaire, sure, I suppose, but even at that, it just requires scaling up thinking - starting to use more leveraging strategies, more real estate strategies, etc. But being a multi millionaire should be more than enough to satisfy most people.

People also love to rail on CEO's for being evil and greedy but the CEO of my company, at least from what I've seen, in our all-employee webcasts seems to be a very kind man and very friendly/outgoing. IT's clear how he got to be a CEO--not just because I'm sure he is very intelligent and wise with money, but also because he is very outgoing and friendly and good with people.
I get it - all that is stressful in a culture that worships blowing money, traveling and driving fancy cars. It’s hard to make friends and “fit in” living your prescribed life style. A lot of men have trouble in relationships because their female companions need gifts or lavish lifestyles. That’s my point about billionaire wealth. You can create your own society.

Personally I subscribe to the idea of two classes - group a that never has to work again and will never be for want of anything, their wealth continues to grow no matter what, and group b, who have to work whether through wages or their own inventiveness business wise to earn, save and grow wealth. Group B experiences significantly more stress.

LUH 3417

“But first you must learn how to smile while you kill”

Cirion

I get it - all that is stressful in a culture that worships blowing money, traveling and driving fancy cars. It’s hard to make friends and “fit in” living your prescribed life style. A lot of men have trouble in relationships because their female companions need gifts or lavish lifestyles. That’s my point about billionaire wealth. You can create your own society.

Personally I subscribe to the idea of two classes - group a that never has to work again and will never be for want of anything, their wealth continues to grow no matter what, and group b, who have to work whether through wages or their own inventiveness business wise to earn, save and grow wealth. Group B experiences significantly more stress.

Yeah I mean we've had this discussion before I think. And I think you're right, there's a lot of pressure on men in particular to make money, with the expectation that women all want rich men (Which is actually half-true, but I won't go into that rabbit hole with this post). For me, my motivation is more because of confidence and freedom, with more options in the dating world being a nice bonus as well.

Yup, group B is definitely a lot more stress. That's why I want to escape group B asap... the trick is to definitely break the cycle of spending more than you earn, or you won't break out. The hardest part is starting out. Once you finally make the decision to start investing X amount each month, it begins to grow exponentially and you can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Eventually, it grows so much that you don't even really need to put your income into it anymore and that's where the ultra-wealthy are in. I'm sure it's nice to get several billion dollars a year simply in interest gains! Lol!

gaze

Regarding the original topic, to go after these anti aging techniques, stress free lifestyle, in today’s world you almost have to be a loner, which is the opposite of most people who naturally live a long life. 90% of people i’ve met including almost all of my friends don’t care about food, think carbs are probably bad for you, exercise a lot, and the ones that do care about health think dairy is the devil and flaxseeds are superfoods. Almost every “fun” thing in today’s world requires giving up some sort of health. clubbing, going on road trips, traveling halfway across the world to sight see with friends, are all accompanied by poor food, alcohol, stress of travel, etc. how nice would it be if you could eat at any restaurant, and the food would be quality, no fortification, no pufa oils, animals raised right. What a world that would be.

Last edited:

inurendotoxin

I too, am becoming increasingly disillusioned with money.

I had a "good job" for the last 8 years, co-running a small business with 2 other partners. I also accumulated massive overheads as a result, borrowed more to keep the plates spinning, then ultimately (and inevitably) burned out.

So I've been off work for 3 months now but my health is far from recovered. Bills are piling up, and time is running out. This is where a culture of competition fails. If your health becomes compromised, or your mental stability gets derailed by some bereavement or trauma, capitalism is gonna cut you no slack.

I spent two weeks with a small farming community last month. Maybe about 150 people in the whole town. Everybody seemed to know everybody else. I asked the family I was staying with what people did about money, since most people seem to be unemployed. I got some weird stares back like it was obvious, "No one goes without."

My problem with capitalism is it's emphasis on competition, at the price of individual freedom, sociability, and community. Not everything meaningful is 'monetizeable', so you're forced to choose between meaning or money - and this systemic denial of existential need is where the system fails the population who maintain it.

There were times last year when I was consistently putting my own life at risk to hit work deadlines...driving on 2 hours sleep, ignoring weird heart palpitations. The 'urgent' nature of business culture totally drowns out health as a priority. You either hit this month's target or die trying.

Chasing money is the ultimate social distraction/ inactivator of your internal guidance system. You're forever living (preparing) for tomorrow, but tomorrow is never guaranteed.

"And the motto seems to be 'we work in order to be free' - Bob Mould

Last edited:

LUH 3417

I had a "good job" for the last 8 years, co-running a small business with 2 other partners. I also accumulated massive overheads as a result, borrowed more to keep the plates spinning, then ultimately (and inevitably) burned out.

So I've been off work for 3 months now but my health is far from recovered. Bills are piling up, and time is running out. This is where a culture of competition fails. If your health becomes compromised, or your mental stability gets derailed by some bereavement or trauma, capitalism is gonna cut you no slack.

I spent two weeks with a small farming community last month. Maybe about 150 people in the whole town. Everybody seemed to know everybody else. I asked the family I was staying with what people did about money, since most people seem to be unemployed. I got some weird stares back like it was obvious, "No one goes without."

My problem with capitalism is it's emphasis on competition, at the price of individual freedom, sociability, and community. Not everything meaningful is 'monetizeable', so you're forced to choose between meaning or money - and this systemic denial of existential need is where the system fails the population who maintain it.

There were times last year when I was consistently putting my own life at risk to hit work deadlines...driving on 2 hours sleep, ignoring weird heart palpitations. The 'urgent' nature of business culture totally drowns out health as a priority. You either hit this month's target or die trying.

Chasing money is the ultimate social distraction/ inactivator of your internal guidance system. You're forever living (preparing) for tomorrow, but tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Very true.

gaze

Very well said. I hope all the best for you going forward. Adopting a minimalist approach to life can help with the feeling that the walls are caving in on you. It’s definitely easier said then done, so I hope you’re able find what works for you.

Cirion

I agree that a sense of community is lost in todays culture. Despite the fact that population density has never been higher, people have also never been lonelier in the history of mankind. Most people don't even really know their neighbors if they do, not very well, and only one or two. I'm guilty of this myself.

inurendotoxin

Very well said. I hope all the best for you going forward. Adopting a minimalist approach to life can help with the feeling that the walls are caving in on you. It’s definitely easier said then done, so I hope you’re able find what works for you.

Thanks for the kind words. Working on the minimalism thing :):

I agree that a sense of community is lost in todays culture. Despite the fact that population density has never been higher, people have also never been lonelier in the history of mankind. Most people don't even really know their neighbors if they do, not very well, and only one or two. I'm guilty of this myself.

I reckon population density is part of the problem. Especially the big cities. Humans are social creatures, but we haven't evolved to live in such large groups. A combination of stress culture, limited resources and higher volumes of people than you could reasonably hope to know leaves little time left for neighbourly chit chat. So it's a culture of scarcity and distrust. Instinctively, no one is a friend, so everyone is perceived as a threat.

That's a borrowed theory from various sources, but it's one possible explanation of the loneliness epidemic.

MFW when you move to the big smoke and find that life isn't immediately like Seinfeld.

gaze

Thanks for the kind words. Working on the minimalism thing :):

I reckon population density is part of the problem. Especially the big cities. Humans are social creatures, but we haven't evolved to live in such large groups. A combination of stress culture, limited resources and higher volumes of people than you could reasonably hope to know leaves little time left for neighbourly chit chat. So it's a culture of scarcity and distrust. Instinctively, no one is a friend, so everyone is perceived as a threat.

That's a borrowed theory from various sources, but it's one possible explanation of the loneliness epidemic.

MFW when you move to the big smoke and find that life isn't immediately like Seinfeld.

Johann Hari was on Joe rogan talking about depression, and he talked about an experiment where they took 15-20 heavily depressed people on the verge of suicide, and told them to meet up every weekend to do a major gardening project together. I forget the details exactly, but by the end of it, all patients said they had no depression symptoms. He attributed it to the feeling of belonging, where you matter in some sort of group, because if one of them didn’t show up, everyone noticed, and reached out. It showed the power of feeling like you matter to some people, and how social isolation is a major cause of mental health problems.

tankasnowgod

It's just like Trump. Blame immigrants instead of discovering the real cause of the problem.

For the record, Trump has never blamed "immigrants" for any problems in America, not once. In fact, he's currently married to one. He has indeed blamed illegal aliens and criminal migrants, however. The term "illegal immigrant" itself is meaningless, as immigration is a legal process. You may disagree with Trump that illegal aliens and criminal boarder crossings are a problem, but you will never get to a real cause of a problem if you can't acknowledge details. I believe the term "illegal immigrant" is widely used so as to protect human traffickers and deflect from a real problem. And control of the border is one of the few things that the Federal Government should actually be involved in.

inurendotoxin

Johann Hari was on Joe rogan talking about depression, and he talked about an experiment where they took 15-20 heavily depressed people on the verge of suicide, and told them to meet up every weekend to do a major gardening project together. I forget the details exactly, but by the end of it, all patients said they had no depression symptoms. He attributed it to the feeling of belonging, where you matter in some sort of group, because if one of them didn’t show up, everyone noticed, and reached out. It showed the power of feeling like you matter to some people, and how social isolation is a major cause of mental health problems.

Yeah I think I've seen some of that JH interview. He really nails it IMO. Isolation is a killer, and totally unnatural for our species.

But there we go - you could interpret from that study that environment is the master regulator of metabolism and health. I think if your environment is healthy, socially supportive, and reasonably autonomous, you could even eat a PUFA rich diet and be totally fine. :innocent:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals