The Cure To Old Age - Dr. Peat September 1995

A summary of the newsletter from Dr. Peat:

I don't think aging is necessary...

Alexis Carrel found isolated cells could reproduce unlimited...so long as they were bathed in fresh nutritive substances.

Hans Selye found isolating cells from the nutrition of a young rat body would cause the cells to become senescent, quite obviously the cells you see in a very old animal.

Carrel felt that the organism's fluids were what caused or largely caused aging.

A 21 year old heals twice as fast as a 40 year old. Largely due to modified proteins in older person's blood serum...chiefly it is the fats that act on cells and diminish the capacity of the cells.

Skin from old rats, transplanted to young rats, becomes young skin. Attaching an old animal to a young one makes the old one live to a very advanced age.

(Ugh these experiments were terrible weren't they, but we must learn from them.)

So this gives us a clue as too aging. We have closed systems with fatty livers imperfectly filtering out blood, but what if we had a better mechanism to replace the old tired blood with new and young?

lampofred

So this gives us a clue as too aging. We have closed systems with fatty livers imperfectly filtering out blood, but what if we had a better mechanism to replace the old tired blood with new and young?

This is the kind of info that makes me think the stories of elites infusing young blood into themselves for energy might not be so crazy after all...

gaze

This is a wasteful road to go down. If it’s not the diet that ages you, it’s the environment. 99% of people in the world are in stressful environments, lack of quality food, stressful jobs, stressful relationships, its damn near impossible to be stress free, which would prevent the degeneration of the body’s cells. Also, people with horrible diets and horrible living environments, still sometimes make it to 80-90. And the healthiest people may make it to 90-100. Almost all centenarians didn’t try to live to 100, they just did it. To pursue such a goal, the stress of trying will ultimately kill you before you get there. The diets of people to live to 100, are almost always “whatever I want to eat”, they just got lucky that the quality of food was decent. Also, people 1000 years ago who weren’t exposed to one single drop of vegetable oil there entire life still die at a normal age. The fact that there’s been at tens of billions of people who’ve walked this earth, and only a handful have made it to a 100 or above, to me proves that the degeneration of the body cannot be stopped THAT much, at most in a perfect environment may extend life 10 or so years. before 100 years ago, there was probably millions upon millions of people who naturally ate peaty, like traditional foods in the middle east, or france, or many other countries. If they still died at a normal age, eating peaty form birth to death, I don’t think it’s fair to say aging isn’t necessary.

lampofred

This is a wasteful road to go down. If it’s not the diet that ages you, it’s the environment. 99% of people in the world are in stressful environments, lack of quality food, stressful jobs, stressful relationships, its damn near impossible to be stress free, which would prevent the degeneration of the body’s cells. Also, people with horrible diets and horrible living environments, still sometimes make it to 80-90. And the healthiest people may make it to 90-100. Almost all centenarians didn’t try to live to 100, they just did it. To pursue such a goal, the stress of trying will ultimately kill you before you get there. The diets of people to live to 100, are almost always “whatever I want to eat”, they just got lucky that the quality of food was decent. Also, people 1000 years ago who weren’t exposed to one single drop of vegetable oil there entire life still die at a normal age. The fact that there’s been at tens of billions of people who’ve walked this earth, and only a handful have made it to a 100 or above, to me proves that the degeneration of the body cannot be stopped THAT much, at most in a perfect environment may extend life 10 or so years. before 100 years ago, there was probably millions upon millions of people who naturally ate peaty, like traditional foods in the middle east, or france, or many other countries. If they still died at a normal age, eating peaty form birth to death, I don’t think it’s fair to say aging isn’t necessary.

Yeah but how many people in the past kept to under 2-3 grams of PUFA? Any more than that and I think it doesn't matter whether you restrict PUFA because after that point, I think your respiratory rate is more important for determining your rate of aging. I bet centenarians breath very little. Olive oil, sesame oil, nuts, many traditional fats, even though they are not as bad vegetable oil, still cause a build-up of PUFA once you are beyond the 2-3 gram cancer threshold.

gaze

Yeah but how many people in the past kept to under 2-3 grams of PUFA? Any more than that and I think it doesn't matter whether you restrict PUFA because after that point, I think your respiratory rate is more important for determining your rate of aging. I bet centenarians breath very little. Olive oil, sesame oil, nuts, many traditional fats, even though they are not as bad vegetable oil, still cause a build-up of PUFA beyond the 2-3 gram cancer threshold.

by the odds of probability, millions of people probably did. I don’t really believe the idea that people before a couple hundred years ago ate many nuts. While maybe a hand ful, to actually grow nuts and crack the shells, it takes a lot of work, so almost no one got a lot of calories from them. the idea of nut butter wasn’t even a thing and most people were to poor to buy any. starch fruit milk meat legumes butter vegetables are what most people across the world ate, simply because of affordability and the ability to feed a large number of people. you can’t feed people with nuts sesame oil, and even olive oil was for the rich.

inurendotoxin

I disagree that it's wasteful, although I largely agree with the reasoning.

Wasn't it Raymond Pearl that hypothesized that living is stressful? Rate of Living theory...something something.

Stress is aging, sure. I guess you'll never cure aging while there is stress, but the concept is necessary to have even a fighting chance.

I think it's useful as an intellectual exercise, if nothing else. If the species can survive another 500 years they might even figure out a way to optimise their environment such that stress becomes largely optional for the remaining populus, if not completely avoidable.

LUH 3417

I disagree that it's wasteful, although I largely agree with the reasoning.

Wasn't it Raymond Pearl that hypothesized that living is stressful? Rate of Living theory...something something.

Stress is aging, sure. I guess you'll never cure aging while there is stress, but the concept is necessary to have even a fighting chance.

I think it's useful as an intellectual exercise, if nothing else. If the species can survive another 500 years they might even figure out a way to optimise their environment such that stress becomes largely optional for the remaining populus, if not completely avoidable.
Which is exactly what’s happening. Money can buy you freedom from stress.

Sativa

Money can buy you freedom from stress.

I suppose, the first 'inner' steps to conquering stress is cultivating unbending willpower, holistic resilience (mentally, emotionally ie no self pity, sentimentality) and... 0 self importance. (ie who cares what I think. With nothing to defend, any attacks inherently fail/backfire.)

Then... sunshine, salicylic acid salts (such as CalciumSali or MagnesiumSali), Methylene Blue, some cannabinoids & terpenes (to customise the therapeutic experience), Carbs & Gelatin...

Also... Cacao, Kava root... Agmatine, Caffeine, Theanine, sea salt...& a sense of humour...

Last edited:

LUH 3417

I suppose, the first 'inner' steps to conquering stress is cultivating unbending willpower, holistic resilience (mentally, emotionally ie no self pity, sentimentality) and... 0 self importance. (ie who cares what I think. With nothing to defend, any attacks fail.)

Then, subshine, salicylic acid salts (such as Calcium or Magnesium) Methylene Blue, some cannabinoids & terpenes (to customise the therapeutic experience), C Carbs & Gelatin...
Thank you

lampofred

Why is there such a negative attitude towards money on here...? What's wrong with being rich if you make your money honestly via a product/service that improves the lives of others? It reminds me of kind of an autistic spirituality where mind suppresses instinct so much that everything is reversed. Money, pleasure, beauty are "evil" and poverty, pain, asceticism are "good".

Maybe it's because everything is perverted now. Ambition is perverted into greed, pleasure into lust, beauty into narcissism. So the asceticism is a protective reaction to degeneration. Speaking about culture at large, not you specifically Sativa.

Sativa

Thank you
please note, not all my suggestions are 'peat approved'... I believe cannabinoids are wonderful molecules with useful pharmacological properties. I am not a regular smoker. My preferred cannabinoids are Magnolia, Copal resin, Kava,. Turmeric, b.pepper.& clove oil.

Last edited:

Cirion

Which is exactly what’s happening. Money can buy you freedom from stress.

Spot on. Money may not directly buy happiness, but it sure can buy freedom, and like you said with freedom comes less stress. So, basically money can buy reduced stress levels.

Financial freedom continues to be something I strive for. If I was metabolically healthy I could maybe pull it off within 5 yrs, as it stands I don't have the energy to pursue some ideas like rental properties. But still planning to get there by age 40, which is still not bad and above the average by a long shot.

Not having to answer to a boss, being able to sleep in each and every day, take all the time you want to make nutritious meals (or even hire a personal chef to personally craft you nice meals with high quality ingredients), hire your own personal maid so you don't have to worry about cleaning, have your own personal trainer, have your own massage therapist to bring down stress further... You get where I'm going with this. All these are things I wish I could have, but I'm not just wishing for it, I'm actively working on achieving all this.

LUH 3417

Why is there such a negative attitude towards money on here...? What's wrong with being rich if you make your money honestly via a product/service that improves the lives of others? It reminds me of kind of an autistic spirituality where mind suppresses instinct so much that everything is reversed. Money, pleasure, beauty are "evil" and poverty, pain, asceticism are "good".
I have no qualms with having a lot of money. But there is billionaire rich and then work your **** off half your life millionaire rich. Two very diff life styles. 100 years ago the vanderbilts had ocean water plumbing in their Newport estates so they could sit in tubs of Atlantic Ocean water. Have any friends who have that in their houses now?

LUH 3417

plaple note, not all my suggestions are 'peat approved'... I believe cannabinoids are wonderful molecules with useful pharmacological properties.
btw, I am not a regular snoker
How do you isolate the Terpenes

Sativa

How do you isolate the Terpenes
Easy: since essential oils are composed of terpenes, i simply use strategic oils. Also, there's various perfumery vendors that sell a wide range of interesting & useful naturally isolated terpenes.

β-caryophyllene (cloves, black pepper, hops...)
Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-addictive, antidepressant etc.
CB2 agonist, PPARγ modulator.
Regulates μ opioid receptors increasing analgesic effects, alters expression of 5-HT2ARs, activates TrkA receptors mimicking NGF exerting antidepressant effects.

Last edited:

gaze

Maybe it's because everything is perverted now. Ambition is perverted into greed, pleasure into lust, beauty into narcissism. So the asceticism is a protective reaction to degeneration. Speaking about culture at large, not you specifically Sativa.

this isn’t new. many religions exist to “equalize” the rich and the poor, to make the rich feel guilty and the poor feel noble. The problem is not many today are in honest pursuit of getting rich, by simply giving something to the world that helps people, and when given the opportunity to step on others to achieve a higher level of success, almost everyone will. But, like I said the individual should not feel guilty for doing this, as I don’t think it’s the individuals fault. I think it has more to do with how society is set up, as the world has become more and more lonely, cut throat, and strong, small tribes/communities don’t exist to achieve a higher level of success together, with those around you.

Cirion

this isn’t new. many religions exist to “equalize” the rich and the poor, to make the rich feel guilty and the poor feel noble. The problem is not many today are in honest pursuit of getting rich, by simply giving something to the world that helps people, and when given the opportunity to step on others to achieve a higher level of success, almost everyone will. I think it has more to do with how society is set up, as the world has become more and more lonely, cut throat, and strong, small tribes/communities don’t exist to achieve a higher level of success together, with those around you.

Low metabolic rates lends itself to these types of societies. I can say for myself I'm definitely way more selfish when I'm in a low metabolism and way more self-less and giving when in a high metabolic state. Being currently in a low metabolic state, and being perfectly 100% honest, I probably would be willing to step on a few toes if it meant getting me financial freedom quicker and thus finally breaking free from my stress and learned helplessness because I am fed up with low metabolism and would do whatever it takes to finally get out of it. A lot of problems thus IMO stem to metabolism. Everyone is serotonin dominant and it doesn't make for a very good society.

lampofred

I have no qualms with having a lot of money. But there is billionaire rich and then work your **** off half your life millionaire rich. Two very diff life styles. 100 years ago the vanderbilts had ocean water plumbing in their Newport estates so they could sit in tubs of Atlantic Ocean water. Have any friends who have that in their houses now?

That's the fault of the people, not the wealth. Just because having wealth is more likely to make people spend it wastefully doesn't mean wealth should be demonized, it means the people should develop better characters. But instead wealth is demonized. It's analogous to proposing to wipe out the human population in order to maintain world peace.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals