The contemporaneous epidemic of chronic copper deficiency (Klevay, 2022)

youngsinatra

„The classical deficiency diseases have nearly disappeared from the industrialised world and are thought to be found largely in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. More than 80 collected medical articles, mostly from Europe and North America, describe more than 9000 people with low concentrations of copper in organs or tissues or impaired metabolic pathways dependent on copper. More than a dozen articles reveal improved anatomy, chemistry or physiology in more than 1000 patients from supplements containing copper. These criteria are diagnostic of deficiency according to The Oxford Textbook of Medicine. Alzheimer's disease, ischaemic heart disease and osteoporosis receive major emphasis here. However, impaired vision, myelodysplastic syndrome and peripheral neuropathy are mentioned. Copper deficiency probably causes some common, contemporaneous diseases. Advice is provided about opportunities for research. Seemingly authoritative statements concerning the rarity of nutritional deficiency in developed countries are wrong.“

Dietary sources are lower than they were..

In addition, the dietary sources of copper are not easily available in typical diet, the best sources being liver and oysters are not readily consumed in a western diet. Other sources of nuts (cashews, almonds) seeds (sesame) and shitake mushrooms need to be consumed regularly if copper RDA levels are to be met on a consistent level. On top of this we have other issues which contribute to a copper deficiency, namely a reduction is soil bioavailability of copper, indicating a reduction of up to 81% of copper from 1940 to 2000 due to modern farming practices reducing copper in the soil1, showing depletions in actual foods like meats, cheese and dairy2. Thus our dietary patterns plus copper depletion in food supplies, is undoubtedly contributing to the problem of copper deficiency.

Are the RDA recommendations sufficient enough?

In the 1980’s before the RDA was set by the FDA it was suggested the adequate daily intake should be around 2-3 mg/ day, but this was lowered by the American administration when it was found that over 80% of the population was getting less than 900mcg from food3. Around 33% of our diets today contain less than 1mg of copper and in the EU and UK half the adult population consumes less than recommended amount of copper4 . Optimal copper intake recommended is 2.6mg / day4, with some authors like Prof Leslie Klevay recommending up to 8mg / day. Other dietary factors which can induce a copper deficiency include eating a Standard American Diet (high & processed carbs), high fructose intake5 having excess meat or high zinc supplementation as zinc competes for absorption with copper in the gut. As copper is absorbed mostly in the stomach and upper small intestine, any decrease in stomach acid secretion can impede copper absorption.“

Mazzle

I have been taking extra copper as per the FB page The Copper Revolution: Healing with Minerals. I can say without doubt that extra copper is having a beneficial effect, more profound and fundamentally beneficial than any of the sups i've been chasing here to be honest. It has balanced out hormonal problems, made skin smoother, reduced my prolactin, improved cognition, improved memory, oedema resolved. For me Magnesium pulled me back from ending life due to chronic lower back pain, B1 made me feel like I was actually alive and copper has done the fixing. I don't think copper is always an easy ride. I had no problems taking it to begin with then hit a rough patch for a few weeks and now seem to be out the other side of that.

TheSir

I have been taking extra copper as per the FB page The Copper Revolution: Healing with Minerals. I can say without doubt that extra copper is having a beneficial effect, more profound and fundamentally beneficial than any of the sups i've been chasing here to be honest. It has balanced out hormonal problems, made skin smoother, reduced my prolactin, improved cognition, improved memory, oedema resolved. For me Magnesium pulled me back from ending life due to chronic lower back pain, B1 made me feel like I was actually alive and copper has done the fixing. I don't think copper is always an easy ride. I had no problems taking it to begin with then hit a rough patch for a few weeks and now seem to be out the other side of that.
What kind of symptoms were you experiencing during said rough patch?

TheSir

It's very hard to replenish as well... even with supplements.
Yeah. Cellular intake of copper depends on, for example, manganese which is another mineral the deficiency of which is widespread.

Dean

What form of copper do you take?

Osukhan

ive read the book as well, and have copper sulfate and have used it.
But recently i did a HTMA anaylsis and had high levels of copper... so still trying to figure out why. maybe problems with bioavailability or what...
The htma showed i was a slow oxidizer.
If anybody has any insight it would be greatly appreciated

Perry Staltic

fwiw check out the connection between mad cow disease and low copper/high manganese brought about by the use of phosmet organophasphate pesticide and high manganese animal feeds. Manganese replaces copper causing misfolded proteins (prions)

Vanset

Any opinion on copper glycinate? I'm taking the swanson one. I have read a study that shows increase in various copper status biomarkers after supplementation of 4 and 6 mg.

Last edited:
OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

It's very hard to replenish as well... even with supplements.
Yes. This has been a real struggle of mine the last 7-8 months.

From really frequent blood testing, I’ve found out that I am prone to hyperzincemia, even from whole foods. I think this is a genetic thing.

I get peripheral neuropathy, balance problems, pale skin, bradycardia and cold hands and feet due to poor oxygenation when I eat beef too regularly.

Keeping zinc intake moderate and reducing fructose intake seems to help me.

I extensively experimented with both copper (II) bisglycinate and copper (I) nicotinic acid and I am honestly not sure what is better. I think both are effective, but most importantly zinc needs to normalize to absorb copper. Hyperzincemia blocks GI absorption of copper, even after zinc intake has been discontinued.

Mazzle

What kind of symptoms were you experiencing during said rough patch?
Nothing major - I just wasn't feeling the benefit of any extra energy, felt a bit low emotionally. Might not have had anything to do with the copper!

Olmec

So following a substantial zinc overload, I am looking for a suitable copper supplement for sublingual absorption. I'm aware ceruloplasmin needs some attention as well.

@Dan W mentions the bisglycinate form works:
Not sure if copper malabsorption is common, but I came across some results suggesting that sublingual copper glycinate can raise plasma copper levels in people who have trouble absorbing it otherwise.

Seems iron is called for in copper deficiency:
A lot of my male clients have this issue (copper deficiency) after they mistakenly megadose zinc for purported 'testosterone increasing' benefits. Common signs and symptoms are fat accumulation around the midsection, dry skin, gray hairs, malaise, brain fog, etc. I recommend avoiding supplements and instead opting for liver, 100g twice a week drunk with a coffee. Copper deficiency goes hand in hand with iron deficiency also so look out for that.
Upon cessation of zinc mega-dose and starting a high copper diet - 3mg/day minimum - symptoms reside fairly quickly.

General insights & context on copper:
Copper at 1mg or so for a few weeks to a month will give you a very clear indicator of whether it's what you need and whether it's wholesome at this moment in time.

There are so many rate limiting factors in copper metabolism and in my opinion it's bad news to have excessive copper intake during poor metabolic health - ceruloplasmin production is dependant on a number of cofactors alongside liver and adrenal function. It's also not the only mechanism for copper metabolism.

Liver can obviously be an excellent food in certain circumstances, but it has too many variables and can be imbalancing in larger quantities, imo.

Runenight201

Everytime I consume white button mushrooms I notice an immediate improvement in my well-being. There copper content is only ~.4 mg per 100g, which means I should be striving for around a pound of mushrooms a day if I am going to heal any deficiencies....

I find them incredibly delicious sauteed with olive oil, salt, and collard greens. It truly is a micronutrient power combo.

Olmec

@Runenight201
Thanks for the reminder re white button mushrooms copper content. I will give them a try, well boiled. I was initially looking at how to acquire copper in case of malabsorption.

Runenight201

@Runenight201
Thanks for the reminder re white button mushrooms copper content. I will give them a try, well boiled. I was initially looking at how to acquire copper in case of malabsorption.

No problem… ubiquitous and cheap, they have even more copper than the more expensive shiitake mushrooms…. Win, win, win in my book

Olmec

Some relevant insight here, re suitability of copper sources:
But I also read about *how* the mineral is delivered being important. For example, copper being supplemented in free form (a bit like from a copper pan) being problematic unlike copper from food or chelated copper (as in copper glycinate). The difference could be that in the later, serum copper doesn't go high and the liver has time to route it where it is supposed to go.

Alternatively, @Dave Clark 's perspective might just have more validity, it's shares by various other long-term members on this forum (eg @ddjd, @Mauritio)

My understanding is that kale is one of the highest sources of plant copper. Charles Barker from Mitosynergy promotes the copper 1 theory more than anyone I have heard. It sounds very plausible that minerals from plants have the best uptake. ..../... So, copper can be found in many food sources, but taking a copper 2 supplement [eg copper glycinate] to me, is maybe contributing to copper toxicity, especially if Charles Barker's assertions are correct.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals