The Consequences Of Cheese As A Main Source Of Protein

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

What if the cheese is raw? There should be more vitamins compared to pasteurized cheese.
The major loss is when it's drain'd, but how they're prepared should have an impact. Check this out:
- Acid and acid/rennet-curd cheeses part A: Quark, cream cheese and related varieties

Some cheeses demand more processing, are coagulated differently, undergo significant fermentation, and so on, all could affect nutrient retention and stability.

- The Vitamins: Fundamental Aspects in Nutrition and Health (978-0-12-802965-7)

upload_2019-7-6_20-31-36.png

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"The addition of starter cultures such as Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus for the fermentation of milk to yogurt decreased the original amount of vitamin B12 by 25%.[57] Similar results were observed in other studies.[61–63] Storage of yogurt (unopened cup) at 4°C for 14 days caused further losses of 33%. In total, only 40% of the initial amount of B12 in milk was present in the prepared and stored yogurt.[57]"

"During the cheese-making process, the whey fraction is removed, leading to a severe loss of vitamin B12 due to its water solubility. In one study of six fermented dairy products, cottage cheese contained only 16% of the B12 concentration that was initially present in the milk from which it derived, and packaging and storage for 10 days did not alter the vitamin concentration.[57]"

"Lactic acid bacteria require vitamin B12 in order to grow. As a result, they contribute strongly to the findings described in this article. In particular, L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus, which are commonly used for milk fermentation, were found to be very efficient vitamin B12 consumers.[63] In that experiment, the retention of vitamin B12 in yogurt after storage was found to be low; this was most likely due to the storage temperature of 4°C, which is not low enough to inhibit the metabolic activity of lactic acid bacteria. Consequently, the bacteria continue to use B12 for growth. Similar results and assumptions were published by Swedish researchers who observed severe losses of B12 after milk fermentation, especially in yogurt and kefir.[61]"​

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"The observations of Herbert et al (12) suggested that vitamin B-12 deficiency is developed through 4 stages of negative balance. In stages I and II, plasma and cell stores become depleted and the concentration of holotranscobalamin II is reduced. Stage III is characterized by functional imbalances indicated by elevated tHcy and MMA concentrations in plasma. In stage IV, clinical signs may become recognizable."

upload_2020-3-13_16-16-2.png

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Not only dairy processing can decrease the content of tumoramin, but it might coincide with bacteria metabolizing part of the remaining into forms that are inferior, have no use or can compete with the useful fraction left. There's also the individual variations in how well each form is handled, and the tendency to have less of it in the body as the diet is restricted.

Change in dietary habits can result varying forms as well, perhaps obtaining more or less of one that the person can do better with.
upload_2020-7-13_19-38-56.png

upload_2020-7-13_19-39-6.png

It's not a recent publication, you may be able to find more accurate figures.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

- Blocked Lysine in Dairy Products: Formation, Occurrence, Analysis, and Nutritional Implications
Abstract said:
Lysine residues in milk proteins become "blocked" when they react with reducing sugars, particularly lactose, in the Maillard reaction. The blocked or glycated lysines reduce the biological availability of the lysine to metabolic processes and also hinder hydrolysis of the parent protein by digestive enzymes. Heating and storage of milk and milk products are the major promotants of the Maillard reaction and resulting chemical damage to the proteins. Several methods have been proposed to estimate the extent of this protein damage. Two major compounds, furosine, a product of acid hydrolysis of lactulosyl-lysine, the 1st stable product of the Maillard reaction, and carboxymethyl-lysine are used for assessing the early and advanced stages of the Maillard reaction, respectively. In addition, several methods are used for assessing the bioavailability of lysine in a protein; these include chemical, enzymic, and animal-based methods. This review discusses the Maillard reaction and its significance in milk and dairy products, methods of assessing the extent of the reaction and of the bioavailability of lysine, and the nutritional significance of blocked lysines and associated Maillard reaction products in milk proteins.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

- Acid and rennet gels exhibit strong differences in the kinetics of milk protein digestion and amino acid bioavailability

"This study aimed at investigating the influence of the mode of milk coagulation i.e., acid- or rennet-induced, two common coagulation processes used in the industry, on the mechanisms of caseins and b-lactoglobulin digestion. Although the two types of gel had a similar composition, displayed parameters of viscoelasticity and firmness in the same range and exhibited a similar microstructure, they led to dramatic differences in the kinetics of protein hydrolysis in the stomach during digestion and amino acid bioavailability."

"The differences observed in protein concentration in the duodenum were completely smoothed out in the jejunum, where both b-lactoglobulin and caseins were entirely hydrolysed whatever the type of gel ingested. This result suggests that the pancreatic enzymes (trypsin and chymotrypsin) were present in sufficient amount to digest a massive influx of milk proteins at a given time during the digestion process, probably by self-regulation of the metabolism for the production and secretion of these enzymes as a function of the quantity of proteins to be digested. It is in accordance with the high digestibility of milk proteins, which are the most degradable proteins among food proteins (AFSSA, 2007), with an ileal digestibility of 95% and 93% for caseins in humans and in pigs, respectively (Bos et al., 1999; Gaudichon et al., 1994) and of 97–98% for whey proteins (Lacroix et al., 2006)."

"In the present study, we clearly showed that the rennet gel led to lower levels of residual caseins and b-lactoglobulin in the duodenum and lower levels of essential amino acids in the plasma than the acid gel. One could wonder whether these differences were really due to the digestion process or if the proteins already exhibited different extent of proteolysis in the gel before ingestion. However, it is well-known that rennet mainly cleaves k-casein during milk clotting (Walstra, Wouters, & Geurts, 2006) and does not lead to an intense proteolysis of caseins or b-lactoglobulin; this was confirmed by our analysis of the two gels by SDS–PAGE (data not shown). It has to be mentioned that this hypothesis of highly hydrolysed proteins would also be hardly compatible with the low levels of amino acids recovered in the plasma after ingestion of the rennet gel. We can therefore conclude that the differences observed in the kinetics of protein hydrolysis and amino acid bioavailability are the results of differences during the digestion process."

"Considering the duodenal effluents as representative of the matter exiting the stomach (since they were collected before the bile and pancreatic ducts), their protein concentration is controlled by three parameters: the amount of protein remaining in the stomach, their resistance to hydrolysis by pepsin and the dilution they underwent by saliva and gastric secretions. Several hypotheses could therefore explain the differences observed. Among those, the formation of a coagulum with a high stiffness after the rennet gel ingestion, under the conditions encountered within the stomach, leading to a very long retention of the rennet matrix in the stomach is plausible. In order to check this hypothesis the two gels were further submitted to an in vitro digestion in dynamic conditions. Results obtained showed that the two gels behaved very differently in the stomach: when acid gels flocculated in the gastric compartment with no apparent syneresis, rennet gels flocculation was accompanied by an extensive syneresis. This increased syneresis of the rennet gels in the stomach indicates a strong contraction of the rennet gel particles in gastric conditions that could result in a more pronounced retention and a delayed emptying. Contraction of rennet gel particles could also limit the accessibility of the digestive enzymes to the milk protein cleavages sites, therefore limiting proteolysis as previously described (Kong & Singh, 2008). Interestingly, the concentration of caseins recovered after gastric emptying continuously increased, even 7 h after rennet gel ingestion, which tends to confirm the slower gastric emptying of the rennet gel."

"The different behaviour of digestion between the acid gel and the rennet gel could also be attributed to a higher resistance of rennet gel to hydrolysis, leading to a lower amino acid bioavailability. Particles of rennet gel could be slowly digested: pH inside the rennet particles was initially higher than that of the acid gel, maybe delaying the efficiency of pepsinolysis. Moreover it has been shown previously that rennet gels exhibit greater microsyneresis (shrinking of the protein network) upon acidification (Le Feunteun & Mariette, 2008), which could limit the accessibility of gastric enzymes to the proteins. The different behaviour between both gels can therefore probably be put in relation to three potential simultaneous mechanisms, i.e., a high resistance of the rennet gel to hydrolysis at the stomach level, combined to a long gastric retention associated to substantial dilution by digestive juices."

Nemo

After Travis' insistence on the dangers of elevated homocysteine levels, it reminded me of a suspicion that cheeses are a refined food, just like muscle meat without other parts of the animal, and so it must have negative effects if you consume a lot without compensating for the loss. To his delight, in this experiment homocysteine rose from cheese methionine due to a lack of sufficient B-vitamins.

This is very helpful info, thank you.

Kvothe

Lancet. 1966 Jan 22;1(7430):164-6.
MILK-AND-CHEESE DIET IN
PORTAL-SYSTEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY

J. C. B. FENTON
M.B. Cantab., D.C.P., M.C.Path.
SENIOR LECTURER IN CHEMICAL PATHOLOGY
E. J. KNIGHT
M.B. Birm.
CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT
P. L. HUMPHERSON
B.Sc. Lond., S.R.D.
CHIEF DIETITIAN
ST. BARTHOLOMEW’S HOSPITAL, LONDON, E.C.1

In each case the plasma-ammonia level fell during
periods of milk-and-cheese diet (figs. 1-3) and was always
lowest towards the end of the period.
In case 1 drowsiness and confusion cleared while the
dairy proteins were being taken, but on changing to meat
diet the symptoms returned.
The subsequent early
response to this diet was most gratifying, although the
beneficial effect did not last more than a few months. This
patient’s symptoms eventually became resistant to all
medical treatment.
In cases 2 and 3 the mental symptoms were mild during
the trial period and showed no obvious change when the
diet was altered. In case 2, the milk-and-cheese diet was
continued after discharge from hospital and at follow-up
there was clearly some improvement.
The third patient had had recurring episodes of
encephalopathy, which necessitated six hospital admissions
in 12 months. On a 30 g. mixed protein diet she still
showed signs of episodic stupor, but she improved when
this was increased to 40 g. (20 g. basic protein and 20g.
milk and cheese) and had no further episode for 5 months.
As an explanation of the apparently beneficial effect of
the milk-and-cheese diet, it, is possible either that the
proteins themselves underwent less putrefactive degrada-
tion and ammonia production before being assimilated or
that there was a change in the intestinal bacterial flora
which resulted in a reduction in the number of ammonia-
producing organisms.
The latter change could occur if the
proteins or other constituents of the diet were favourable
to the induction of a new balance among the bacterial spe-
cies.
[...]
We tried to assess the importance of the bacterial con-
tent of milk and cheese by administering a diet of cooked
cheese and sterilised milk
. This diet was given to two
patients, but in both it unexpectedly produced such severe
constipation that the investigation had to be abandoned.

1618696869782.png

1618696885322.png

1618696904950.png

SOMO

I eat cheese instead of milk, have been for over a year. I do eat meats though. Some days my protein is coming from cheese. I definitely need sources of dense nutrition eating this way but I'm doing way better than I was as a milk drinker. Maybe I'd do fine on milk now not sure. Bananas are my major B6 and potassium source. They are a good food in my book.

I thought getting rid of the whey portion was recommended? To lower the tryptophan content.

When you remove the Whey, you also remove almost all of the B Vitamins. The B-Vitamins are in the water-soluble whey portion and when you toss that out, you're left with nutritionally devoid casein (i.e. cheese.)
I will say that pretty much all morbidly obese people eat cheese in large quantities, yet people here say that the calcium, protein and casein should be helpful in weight management - but cheese is quite high in calories except maybe parmesan.

Regardless of hte amino acids in cheese being balanced, you still need B-Vitamins to metabolize amino acids, so cheese is still inferior to meat.

I suspect I'm having some health issues because I drastically increased my cheese/casein intake recently without replacing the B-vitamins.

Apple

When you remove the Whey, you also remove almost all of the B Vitamins. The B-Vitamins are in the water-soluble whey portion and when you toss that out, you're left with nutritionally devoid casein (i.e. cheese.)
I will say that pretty much all morbidly obese people eat cheese in large quantities, yet people here say that the calcium, protein and casein should be helpful in weight management - but cheese is quite high in calories except maybe parmesan.

Regardless of hte amino acids in cheese being balanced, you still need B-Vitamins to metabolize amino acids, so cheese is still inferior to meat.

I suspect I'm having some health issues because I drastically increased my cheese/casein intake recently without replacing the B-vitamins.
That's why we need to eat pizza with beer , to compensate for B-vitamins.
I noticed also when I eat lots of cheese my hair looks unhealthy...better to have a glass of milk instead. Now I eat cheese only socially.
I googled a bit, in countries with lots of cheese consumption there are lots of bald men.

Last edited:

Apple

Well, that's as good as a statistically significant correlation in a peer-reviewed paper for me!
:)) or maybe people who eat cheese live too long and in their 90 or 100 yo they have a little hair left

SOMO

Cheese is meant to be a CONDIMENT or topping, in my opinion. Not a main meal.
That's why we need to eat pizza with beer , to compensate for B-vitamins.
I noticed also when I eat lots of cheese my hair looks unhealthy...better to have a glass of milk instead. Now I eat cheese only socially.
I googled a bit, in countries with lots of cheese consumption there are lots of bald men.

Not a fan of beer personally, but consuming the cheese with enough B-Vitamins should nullify any negative effects and it should be possible to find out the milligram dosage of each B-Vitamin required to digest cheese and methylate the Homocysteine back to Methionine. I do hope that someone figures out exactly how much B6 one needs to keep the Homocysteine down after consuming cheese.

Also the idea of eating liver each time I consume cheese does not appeal to me. I think a better method would be to consume 2 egg yolks or so with the cheese.

gaze

@Amazoniac not sure if this was posted on this thread, but 90% of the world eats cheese with a form of wheat: cheese with bread/jam, cheese and crackers, mac and cheese, pizza, sandwiches with cheese, cheeseburgers. different pasta dishes. a lot of these are combined with tomatoes, lettuce, jam, etc.

would you consider bread to be a fermentable carb, that minimizes caseins harms? is there anything else unique about wheat or is it just a taste thing ? people craving double the opioid dose ?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac not sure if this was posted on this thread, but 90% of the world eats cheese with a form of wheat: cheese with bread/jam, cheese and crackers, mac and cheese, pizza, sandwiches with cheese, cheeseburgers. different pasta dishes. a lot of these are combined with tomatoes, lettuce, jam, etc.

would you consider bread to be a fermentable carb, that minimizes caseins harms? is there anything else unique about wheat or is it just a taste thing ? people craving double the opioid dose ?
Fermentable carbs aren't necessarily protective, we know many cases that have an improved reaction by their removal (such as those that tolerate cheese and yogurt, but not milk; or those on extreme carnivore diets that are troubled by carbohydrates at the gut level).

Refined wheat is not highly fermentable:
- Determination of FODMAP contents of common wheat and rye breads and the effects of processing on the final contents

But..
- Effect of Rice, Wheat, and Mung Bean Ingestion on Intestinal Gas Production and Postprandial Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Non-Constipation Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patients (whole wheat?)

It has some betraine that Mito pointed out in the past, but it doesn't justify the habit.

- The betaine and choline content of a whole wheat flour compared to other mill streams

"Wheat is likely to be the main dietary source of betaine, since other rich sources (>100 mg/100 g) are eaten in lower quantities (e.g. spinach, beets and shellfish). Table 2 (first column) shows the estimated annual wheat consumption in selected countries in 2000 using data from the FAO website (FAO, 2006). Table 2 also shows an estimate of the daily betaine intake calculated using the annual consumption of wheat from the first column and our data on betaine content of wheat from Table 1 (i.e. ~300 mg/100 g in whole wheat flour and ~70 mg/100 g in refined flour)."​

Not bad given that choline is lost in processing milk to cheese.

gaze

Fermentable carbs aren't necessarily protective, we know many cases that have an improved reaction by their removal (such as those that tolerate cheese and yogurt, but not milk; or those on extreme carnivore diets that are troubled by carbohydrates at the gut level).

Refined wheat is not highly fermentable:
- Determination of FODMAP contents of common wheat and rye breads and the effects of processing on the final contents

But..
- Effect of Rice, Wheat, and Mung Bean Ingestion on Intestinal Gas Production and Postprandial Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Non-Constipation Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patients (whole wheat?)

It has some betraine that Mito pointed out in the past, but it doesn't justify the habit.

- The betaine and choline content of a whole wheat flour compared to other mill streams

"Wheat is likely to be the main dietary source of betaine, since other rich sources (>100 mg/100 g) are eaten in lower quantities (e.g. spinach, beets and shellfish). Table 2 (first column) shows the estimated annual wheat consumption in selected countries in 2000 using data from the FAO website (FAO, 2006). Table 2 also shows an estimate of the daily betaine intake calculated using the annual consumption of wheat from the first column and our data on betaine content of wheat from Table 1 (i.e. ~300 mg/100 g in whole wheat flour and ~70 mg/100 g in refined flour)."​

Not bad given that choline is lost in processing milk to cheese.
do you think "craving opioids" is real ? gluten and A1casein. I hate the idea of a food addiction. all it does is justify fasting and low carb and withering away to be "free" from the reliance of food. but i do admit it's interesting how so many portions of the world eat so much wheat and dairy going beyond restrictions of availability. Certainly it tastes good, and if it didn't make me feel bad personally 80% of my diet would be wheat and dairy, just going off taste. waffles with chocolate milk for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pineapple pizza for dinner. snacks of fruit pastries, cookies and brownies with milk. i don't have a weight problem at all with them, only digestion. i also have no problem not eating any of them. I don't "crave" it but if all foods were healthy, that's what i'd eat.

Last edited:

SOMO

I eat whole wheat from time to, even though it is inflammatory, because wheat is the best grain to cook with. It has natural elasticity that provides texture to food that can't be rivaled.

The insoluble fiber works like a steel wool/sponge and also "cleans you out" well. It is also quite filling. A simple ham or roast beef sandwich with more cheese than ham on whole wheat (bread or a wrap) keeps me full until lunch. I could remove the bun and just eat the ham and cheese, but that would not be as filling or satisfying.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals