The Consequences Of Cheese As A Main Source Of Protein

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Calcium in evolutionary perspective | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
"Purified proteins such as casein, lactalbumin, and wheat gluten added to a basal diet typically produce hypercalciuria (36, 37); however, long-term calcium balance studies during a high-protein (2 g/kg) diet with the protein provided as meat have shown no hypercalciuria and no indication of calcium loss (38)."

I used a FD and A serving of nonfat cottage cheese, which provides 11.5 g of caseid. Since it's 80% of the protein in milk, 1.5 cup of whey is what gives you the respective 20% of protein.
So below is a comparison between 1.5 cup of whey, 1.5 of orange of the juices, 2.5 FDA serving size of pine and apple and 2 tbsps of honey. OJ matching whey in volume and the rest matching OJ in sugar content.

upload_2018-5-7_13-44-24.png

Keep in the minds that the nutrition in milk adequates to a high-fat food for a beast during growth.
I just realized that I forgot to put Choline as Sucholine((

Last edited:

Arnold Grape

Has anyone here found any reliable brands of cheese in the USA? Meaning that don't contain enzymes, vegetable based rennet or microbial rennet? I'm assuming they're all the fancy European ones that you have to pay an arm and a leg for here.
There's one at Trader Joe's called 1000 Day Gouda that has Animal Rennet and nothing horribly offensive seeming - it's fairly hard and it tastes good to me.

SOMO

Hard Cheeses = better sources of K2.

Soft cheeses have very small amounts of K2 and the amount increases slightly if the animal is grass-fed.

Cirion

So, what should be the main sources of protein then? It seems like everything is a trade off, and there is no one perfect protein source. Even gelatin shouldn't be taken by itself... Beef liver is great but even that has high iron content and must be balanced with minerals such as manganese...

I'm trying to develop an "optimal" protein plan, and I don't know enough about the biology of proteins to do so. I definitely don't seem to do well with tryptophan so I know that needs to be minimized. And cheese is a huge offender of this.

Seems like everything is either high in iron, or tryptophan, and it's nearly impossible to be low in both.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So, what should be the main sources of protein then? It seems like everything is a trade off, and there is no one perfect protein source. Even gelatin shouldn't be taken by itself... Beef liver is great but even that has high iron content and must be balanced with minerals such as manganese...

I'm trying to develop an "optimal" protein plan, and I don't know enough about the biology of proteins to do so. I definitely don't seem to do well with tryptophan so I know that needs to be minimized. And cheese is a huge offender of this.

Seems like everything is either high in iron, or tryptophan, and it's nearly impossible to be low in both.
The best solution I've been able to come up with is including a variety of protein sources on the menu daily. I've had the odd day here and there where cheese and gelatin were my only protein but that is not the norm. I like doing the weekly trend on Cronometer because it seems more important how things average out over time. I'm interested to hear what others think about this approach.

Wagner83

It would be practical to have quack cheese as a main source of proteins because it's a lot cheaper, no cooking is required and fat can be low if needed. Then I can add ground beef, yolks, chicken breast less often, and maybe some seafood if needed or for variety. If tolerated some hard cheese may be nice, I haven't tried organ meat besides liver which I find disgusting. Potatoes provide some proteins as well.
Calcium in evolutionary perspective | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
"Purified proteins such as casein, lactalbumin, and wheat gluten added to a basal diet typically produce hypercalciuria (36, 37); however, long-term calcium balance studies during a high-protein (2 g/kg) diet with the protein provided as meat have shown no hypercalciuria and no indication of calcium loss (38)."

I used a FD and A serving of nonfat cottage cheese, which provides 11.5 g of caseid. Since it's 80% of the protein in milk, 1.5 cup of whey is what gives you the respective 20% of protein.
So below is a comparison between 1.5 cup of whey, 1.5 of orange of the juices, 2.5 FDA serving size of pine and apple and 2 tbsps of honey. OJ matching whey in volume and the rest matching OJ in sugar content.
Keep in the minds that the nutrition in milk adequates to a high-fat food for a beast during growth.
I just realized that I forgot to put Choline as Sucholine((
Isn't simply because casein and lactalbumin are provided through high-calcium foods, the excess of which is excreted or which isn't used properly by deranged metabolism? Wheat gluten would then be a different animal, causing bone loss and according to him, scaring calcium away from Ray's poor teeth.

No big news:
Milk protein-derived opioid receptor ligands. - PubMed - NCBI
Changes of beta-casomorphin content in human milk during lactation. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

The best solution I've been able to come up with is including a variety of protein sources on the menu daily. I've had the odd day here and there where cheese and gelatin were my only protein but that is not the norm. I like doing the weekly trend on Cronometer because it seems more important how things average out over time. I'm interested to hear what others think about this approach.
I think this is the best approach Blossom...I find tracking indispensable

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think this is the best approach Blossom...I find tracking indispensable
Yeah, I could never keep up with it otherwise. It's hard to imagine how we survived before computers.:lol:

raypeatclips

I have found myself doing this too recently, I think it also helps with the fun aspect of food and enjoyment, having different foods and meals. A month or so of eating solely beef as my main "meat" source just started to feel bland, not good etc.

I tend to have a cup of milk alongside my meals, but no longer think of milk as a significant source of protein. I now eat fatty beef, fatty lamb, eggs, chicken, liver, tuna, low fat white fish, seafood. Rotated around for meals and don't see any reason why I should stop.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have found myself doing this too recently, I think it also helps with the fun aspect of food and enjoyment, having different foods and meals. A month or so of eating solely beef as my main "meat" source just started to feel bland, not good etc.

I tend to have a cup of milk alongside my meals, but no longer think of milk as a significant source of protein. I now eat fatty beef, fatty lamb, eggs, chicken, liver, tuna, low fat white fish, seafood. Rotated around for meals and don't see any reason why I should stop.
That's basically what I do too. I usually add gelatin to my family dinners that have meat.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

It would be practical to have quack cheese as a main source of proteins because it's a lot cheaper, no cooking is required and fat can be low if needed. Then I can add ground beef, yolks, chicken breast less often, and maybe some seafood if needed or for variety. If tolerated some hard cheese may be nice, I haven't tried organ meat besides liver which I find disgusting. Potatoes provide some proteins as well.

Isn't simply because casein and lactalbumin are provided through high-calcium foods, the excess of which is excreted or which isn't used properly by deranged metabolism? Wheat gluten would then be a different animal, causing bone loss and according to him, scaring calcium away from Ray's poor teeth.

No big news:
Milk protein-derived opioid receptor ligands. - PubMed - NCBI
Changes of beta-casomorphin content in human milk during lactation. - PubMed - NCBI
According to his vvords, thcv wcrc givcn as purificd protcids. Hcrc arc thc rcfcrcnces in casc vou want to confirm or rcad in dctails:
[36] Effect of Level of Protein Intake on Urinary and Fecal Calcium and Calcium Retention of Young Adult Males | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
[37] Studies in calcium metabolism. I. The calciuretic effect of dietary protein | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
[38] Further studies of the effect of a high protein diet as meat on calcium metabolism | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
What do you mean with the links? That it's a difficult protein to digest? I don't know how they isolate it, but if it involves heat, it would make it harder to digest indeed.

Wagner83

According to his vvords, thcv wcrc givcn as purificd protcids. Hcrc arc thc rcfcrcnces in casc vou want to confirm or rcad in dctails:
[36] Effect of Level of Protein Intake on Urinary and Fecal Calcium and Calcium Retention of Young Adult Males | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
[37] Studies in calcium metabolism. I. The calciuretic effect of dietary protein | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
[38] Further studies of the effect of a high protein diet as meat on calcium metabolism | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
What do you mean with the links? That it's a difficult protein to digest? I don't know how they isolate it, but if it involves heat, it would make it harder to digest indeed.
Ok thanks. Could the purity and exclusion from the high - calcium foods they come with be a problem? I know people supplement casein and whey powder so of course it's relevant anyway.

The opiate effects may be an other thing to keep in mind when the dairy content of the diet is high, and since the opioids vary in how concentrated they are in the milk throughout lactation, unhealthy practices in the dairy industry (use of hormones etc..) may have effects on the opoid activity of said protein sources. Perhaps an other reason to choose goats as I don't think they use / can use hormones on them to keep them lactating year-long, I remember hearing about this but need to double check.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Ok thanks. Could the purity and exclusion from the high - calcium foods they come with be a problem? I know people supplement casein and whey powder so of course it's relevant anyway.

The opiate effects may be an other thing to keep in mind when the dairy content of the diet is high, and since the opioids vary in how concentrated they are in the milk throughout lactation, unhealthy practices in the dairy industry (use of hormones etc..) may have effects on the opoid activity of said protein sources. Perhaps an other reason to choose goats as I don't think they use / can use hormones on them to keep them lactating year-long, I remember hearing about this but need to double check.
Comparing meats with purified casein is unfair, but if calcium excretion doesn't happen with meats, it can't be the calcium. I haven't read those links, though.

--
Choline deficiency in mice and humans is associated with increased plasma homocysteine concentration after a methionine load

"Eight healthy male volunteers aged 20–46 y (5 whites and 3 African Americans) with body mass indexes (in kg/m2) ranging from 20 to 33, were recruited for a protocol approved by the Institutional Review Board at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Subjects were admitted to the General Clinical Research Center and administered various research diets. A description of these diets has been published elsewhere (17, 18). Specifically, subjects were fed for 10 d a baseline diet of normal foods containing 550 mg choline/d per 70 kg body weight, which is approximately the current presumed adequate intake (12); the choline content of the diet was assayed by our laboratory (19). On the morning of day 10, a blood sample was collected from the subjects. Then the subjects were given L-methionine (100 mg/kg body weight) orally, and 4 h later blood was collected for the measurement of homocysteine concentrations. Subjects were then switched to a choline depletion diet containing <50 mg choline/d per 70 kg body weight for ≤42 d or until they were judged to be choline deficient [developed hepatic steatosis, as measured by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)]. On the morning after subjects were determined to be choline deficient, or after 42 d on the experimental diet, a blood sample was collected from subjects. Then they were given L-methionine (100 mg/kg body weight) orally, and 4 h later blood was collected for the measurement of homocysteine concentrations. After these measurements, subjects not deemed to be clinically choline deficient by MRI were fed the 550-mg choline diet for 3 d and then discharged. Subjects deemed to be clinically choline deficient were fed diets containing graded amounts of choline (sequentially in 10-d periods; containing 138, 275, 413, or 550 mg choline/d per 70 kg body weight) until hepatic steatosis resolved by MRI and they were judged not to be clinically choline deficient. These subjects, on the last day of the repletion diet, were given L-methionine orally (100 mg/kg body weight), and 4 h later blood was collected and homocysteine concentrations were measured.

The diets were composed of 0.8 g high-biologic-value protein/kg body weight, with 30% kcal coming from fat and the remaining kcal from carbohydrate. The diets met or exceeded the estimated average requirement for methionine plus cysteine and the daily reference intake for vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12, and folate (400 dietary folate equivalents/d)."

"The present study shows that, among its other functions, choline may be important for lowering plasma homocysteine concentrations even when dietary consumption of folate and other B vitamins is adequate."

"Half of the subjects fed a choline-deficient diet eventually became clinically symptomatic of choline depletion (developing hepatic steatosis). The fasting plasma homocysteine concentrations in these depleted humans were increased more than in individuals who were judged not to be clinically depleted. This difference was even greater after a methionine load. Thus, in both mice and humans [phew!] we showed that, when homocysteine flux was high, folate-dependent methylation was limiting and choline-betaine dependent methylation became critical."

"We do not understand why half of the human subjects did not develop hepatic steatosis while on a choline-deficient diet. We hypothesized that their endogenous synthesis of choline by way of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase (30) may have been greater than that in the subjects who did develop steatosis. It is important to note that measurement of plasma choline or betaine concentrations was not sufficient to predict which subjects would develop organ dysfunction, because all depleted subjects had low plasma choline and betaine concentrations. We were able to identify subjects who were sufficiently depleted of choline so as to develop hepatic steatosis by using a methionine-loading test. Also, this test would yield yet another important indicator, betaine after a methionine load, which was found in a recent report (9) to have a strong inverse association with the increase in homocysteine after methionine load. We suggest that clinicians use this test as a complement to plasma choline concentrations to identify patients who are clinically choline depleted. For example, the methionine-load test would be useful for evaluating patients fed total parenteral nutrition who become choline depleted and can develop steatosis (14, 31–33). If it is known that the patient has normal plasma or erythrocyte folate concentrations, a plasma choline determination and a methionine-loading test could predict which patients are likely to be at risk of organ dysfunction associated with choline deficiency. We suggest that it would be this group that would be most responsive to treatment with a supplemental source of choline (14)."

L

lollipop

This is also where I have gone to as well having a 12oz glass of milk along side my main meal. Sometimes twice a day, but not consistent. I leave out the tuna, do not like the flavor :):

raypeatclips

This is also where I have gone to as well having a 12oz glass of milk along side my main meal. Sometimes twice a day, but not consistent. I leave out the tuna, do not like the flavor :):

Yeah similar size glasses as me, no longer washing down litres of milk at a time. I noticed Fred Kummerows diet was similar, "normal" meals with a glass of milk with each meal.

"My typical diet: For breakfast: An egg (cooked in butter). Cooked whole wheat grains and oatmeal served with several kinds of fruit, including a banana and fruits with a coloured skin, topped with milk. A few walnuts, pecans or almonds. Yoghurt and milk.

For lunch: Meat or fish prepared under the broiler. A small piece of baked potato. Some fresh or frozen
vegetables. Lettuce salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing. Fruit. Milk.

For dinner: Smaller portions of what I ate for lunch. Meat, vegetables, fruit. Milk."

I would argue this is a healthier diet than the "milk and oj" that everyone thinks Peat recommends and is much more achievable for normal human beings.

L

lollipop

Yeah similar size glasses as me, no longer washing down litres of milk at a time. I noticed Fred Kummerows diet was similar, "normal" meals with a glass of milk with each meal.

"My typical diet: For breakfast: An egg (cooked in butter). Cooked whole wheat grains and oatmeal served with several kinds of fruit, including a banana and fruits with a coloured skin, topped with milk. A few walnuts, pecans or almonds. Yoghurt and milk.

For lunch: Meat or fish prepared under the broiler. A small piece of baked potato. Some fresh or frozen
vegetables. Lettuce salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing. Fruit. Milk.

For dinner: Smaller portions of what I ate for lunch. Meat, vegetables, fruit. Milk."

I would argue this is a healthier diet than the "milk and oj" that everyone thinks Peat recommends and is much more achievable for normal human beings.
+1 Eating quality, fresh, homemade, nonprocessed food seems to me the sustainable method for long term health - both recovering and maintaining.

Yummmy, I eat similar meals (white jasmine rice instead of wheat) except breakfast. I make a glass of fresh lemonade with maple syrup, share an apple with my hubby, make my yummy coffee: fresh hand ground with half and half, honey, and a small piece of my homemade no wheat brownies. I eat lighter because we do our meditation and yoga after...

Wagner83

Comparing meats with purified casein is unfair, but if calcium excretion doesn't happen with meats, it can't be the calcium. I haven't read those links, though.
I was thinking that the way it's digested may need the presence of calcium since they are usually digested with it. Anyways, random guess.
--

Haidut had said yolks protect him against muscle meats, he thought it could be the cholesterol but perhaps the choline plays a part.

Wagner83

I tried to find a more relevant thread but couldn't:

Abstract
Background: During the last two decades much attention has been given to conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) because of its potentially beneficial biological effects. Cheese is one of the major dietary sources of CLA. However, the CLA content of Greek cheeses is variable and affected by many factors. Fatty acid analysis of feta cheese, made of sheep's milk, was conducted at different stages of the manufacturing process in order to monitor and explain fatty acid and especially CLA changes. Results: CLA content in fresh milk and during the early stages of manufacture was 0.66 ± 0.02 g 100 g⁻¹ fatty acids; it increased during the ripening process (0.75 ± 0.06 g 100 g⁻¹ fatty acids) and decreased during storage (0.52 ± 0.15 g 100 g⁻¹ fatty acids). Saturated fatty acids (SFA), increased after 37 and 48 days of aging, while monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), showed the opposite tendency. Conclusion: CLA content significantly increased during the ripening stages and decreased during aging (P ≤ 0.05). CLA is not stable during manufacture and storage of feta cheese, a fact which should be resolved, since this biologically active substance can be obtained from the diet.

Changes in fatty acid profile of feta cheese including.... Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...eta_cheese_including_conjugated_linoleic_acid [accessed May 20 2018].

Abstract
A total of 30 Zamorano-type cheeses were manufactured in order to study the effects of milk conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content, ripening time, and interactions between both effects on fatty acid (FA) profile. Cheeses elaborated from milk with a high CLA content showed higher contents of vaccenic, oleic, alpha-linolenic (ALA), CLA, monounsaturated (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) FA, and lower contents of capric, lauric, myristic, palmitic, estearic, linoleic, and saturated (SFA) FA than cheese from milk with a low CLA content. Content of unsaturated C18 FA along with MUFA and PUFA groups increased throughout the ripening, while SFA content decreased. The interactions between milk CLA content and ripening time were significant for palmitic, linoleic, CLA, SFA, and omega-6/omega-3 ratio in Zamorano-type cheese. Decreases in cheese omega-6/omega-3 ratio were obtained from milk with a high CLA content; this ratio worsened over ripening in cheeses from low-CLA milk. In conclusion, these results emphasize the importance of the initial CLA content in milk with regard to improve the lipid profile in cheese for consumption.

Variation of Fatty Acid Content in... (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._to_the_Milk_Conjugated_Linoleic_Acid_Content [accessed May 20 2018].

Abstract
The volatile free fatty acids (VFFA) content of feta and white-brined cheeses traded in the market of Athens, Greece, was studied. For this, 16 feta cheese samples (eight with piquant taste and eight non-piquant), 24 cast and eight structure white-brined cheeses were examined for their VFFA content. From the statistical analysis of the experimental measurements, significant differences between piquant and non-piquant feta cheese, as well as between feta and white-brined cheeses, were found. Feta cheese contained significantly higher quantities of acetic, butyric, caproic and caprylic acids than white-brined cheeses. Significant differences were also found between the non-piquant and the piquant feta cheese samples in their butyric, caproic and caprylic acids content, while their acetic acid content was similar. Cast and structure white-brined cheeses showed similar VFFA profile.

Volatile free fatty acid content of feta and white-brined cheeses (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...acid_content_of_feta_and_white-brined_cheeses [accessed May 20 2018].

A comparative study of the fatty acid profiles in commercial sheep cheeses | Aguilar | Grasas y Aceites

Abstract

The present study was carried out to characterize the FA profile of sheep cheese marketed in Chile. Fifty-eight cheeses were collected from supermarkets of 5 different Chilean cities including 34 sheep cheeses, 7 from goat’s milk, 11 from cow’s milk, 4 from a mixture of sheep, goat and cow’s milk and 2 from a mixture of sheep and cow’s milk. Compared to the cow and goat cheese (3.4 and 2.5 g·100g−1), the sheep cheese (3.8 g·100g−1) contained higher contents of C18:1t. The saturated and polyunsatured FA contents were greater in goat cheese than in sheep and cow cheese. The n6/n3 ratio was greater in goat (6.1) cheese than in sheep and cow cheese (3.8 and 5.2). The atherogenicity index was unaffected by cheese type, however, the thrombogenic index was lower in sheep cheese (2.8) than in goat and cow cheese (3.1 and 2.9). The n6/n3 ratio and thrombogenic index were lower in Chilean sheep cheese than in those imported from Europe. The fatty acid profile of cheese can be used to differentiate animal species from which the cheese is made and to some extent the geographical origin that may give some insight as to animal feed and production management.

D

Deleted member 5487

Cheese as the main source of protein was too much fat for me as a total % of calories. I could incorporate lowfat cottage cheese, but I got a little tired of it eating it regularly. I think eggs/oj/coffee for breakfast, milk and fruits throughout the day, with a meat or broth with veggies meal for dinner works well, with a few small slices of cheese throughout the day. I know Peat has also mentioned eating hard cheese is like eating a stick of butter because of the fat content.

Have been incorportaing the same.

Eggs/Oj/coffee
Cheese-Fruit(mango/oj blended) -11am -3 pm
Meat-sugar
Ice cream

Gelatin with it all

Cheese+Fruit is practical and great for 2 meals a day. Chew the cheese first and let it melt in the mouth and coat the stomach, then fruit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The following words have nothing to do with the fact that desalting cheeses immersing in tap wasser is not as effective as sprint wasser: chlorinidization makes it harder to pull the salt from it.

But I digest.

B12

From praevious pages, it was estimated that the ratio of B12 (mcg) to methionine (mg) is about:

5.0:1 for steak
4.3:1 for milk
1.6:1 for cheese​

I guess for meats and cheeses it can vary more than milk.

For B12, it's unlikely that people will be consuming other food sources to compensate in the same meal. The body can resort to reserves (tut) but this isn't good if the person already has an insufficiency. B12 deficiency might not be due to its lack in the diet, but either way, casein full-force will deplete the person further.

I suspect it's possible for cultures to remain healthy for a very long time, eating meats only on rare occasions, and not have problems as long as the methionid content of the diet is frequently low.

A food that's high in methionine but reduced in its B12 content will accelerate the vitamin depletion. This might be another contributor to the constipating effect of cheese: to extract most of its B12 and avoid problems with methionine metabolism, which (according to the original post) happens after 5 hours after the meal, the peak in blood homocysteid.

Gelatin can mitigate some of these problems as long as you can do something useful with homocysteine. It must be methylated to methionine again or be used for synthesizing cysteine. So either way, it works best if the diet is providing an abundance of other B-vitamins.
If you're deficient in choline for example, the production in the body requires methyl groups from methionine. It doesn't make sense to recycle homocysteine using betaine if you're already deficient in choline. So this can strain the recycling dependent on folate/B12, so their needs might be increased.

Heavier cheeses not only have less protein for the same weight, but also (based on the first post) retain more B12. This can ease the problems of refinement if the person is depleted. Cottage cheese in this regard is worse.

But what was really worse was the B6 loss in low-fat cottage cheese. If you note, the best food sources tend to be animal foods.
There are exceptions: bananas, dates, watermelons, figs, pineapfel, etc;
and in case the person eats cheese with salads: leafy greens, potatoes, etc.

Perhaps a little extra is desirable since B6 will be very-much needed to do something useful with homocysteine:

VitaleTherapeutics
The Effect of Soy Protein on Homocysteine

"Caseid is a fractionated milk protein product with elevated methionine levels and extremely low levels of the amino acid cysteine. This stimulates the body to make cysteine through the toxic intermediary homocysteine."

"Casein is a poor protein (tut) high in methionine and low in cysteine. Soy is a poor protein low in methionine and higher in cysteine. The fact that soy protein does not have a consistently and demonstrably better effect on homocysteine levels compared to casein indicates that it is a very poor quality protein indeed."

"In [a given study], soy performed even worse than the casein control in a variety of categories, including homocysteine."

"Rather than improve homocysteine levels, methionine deficiencies can lead to reduced SAM (s-adenosyl methionine) synthesis, which, in turn, might raise levels of homocysteine.[16] Diets containing soy protein isolates proved atherogenic to Cebus monkeys, but feeding supplemental methionine to them prevented atherogenesis, probably because of reduced plasma levels of homocysteine due to increased SAM synthesis.[15,16]"

"Soy protein is also likely to raise homocysteine levels because the cysteine is either biounavailable or damaged by modern processing methods. Much of the cysteine contained in soybeans is bound up in the cysteine protease inhibitors, which include the trypsin inhibitors, cystatins and soyacystatins. Because protease inhibitors are stubbornly resistant to heat treatments and other modern processing methods, soybean cysteine is not readily available compared to other proteins.[17-26] Compounding the problem, polyunsaturated oil residues leftover from the soy protein extraction processes create epoxides that are not only capable of poisoning L-cysteine but all other thiol substances in the body.[27-30] Cysteine itself can be rapidly oxidized and irreparably damaged during the manufacturing process when exposed to atmospheric oxygen and an alkaline pH (above about 7.5 to 8)[31] With such damage through treatments and exposures, it is not surprising that soy is such a poor source of cysteine."

"Cysteine is also damaged by chemical processing at high temperatures and intense pressures used to eliminate soy's beany flavor (which does not appeal to most consumers) and inactivate the antinutritional factors such as oligosaccharides and protease inhibitors (which cause flatulence and other forms of digestive distress).[32-35]"

"It has been known for decades that whenever the body attempts to replace depleted or unavailable levels of cysteine, it does so even if from limiting amounts of methionine, but mammalian systems do so through the toxic intermediary metabolite, homocysteine."

"Accumulated metal toxins in the body from the processing of foods and environmental exposures can contribute to failure of this pathway by binding and interfering with homocysteine's conversion, thereby causing it to accumulate metabolically.[38,39] Accumulating metal toxins may even co-precipitate with and concentrate homocysteine in vulnerable areas of the body causing arterial plaque, neoplasia, tumors and a variety of other metabolic imbalances.[40] The metals known to bind thiols the most tightly include some of the most potent known carcinogens. However, copper, iron, manganese and other metals that are nutritious or otherwise beneficial to the body in small amounts are also associated with cancer and other diseases when found at excessive levels and co-accumulating with homocysteine.[41,42]"

"Recently, a new, related threat has emerged. With the extensive use of antibiotics, resistant pathogenic organisms have developed. Several pathogens have been reported to divert methyl groups in order to methylate mercury or other toxic metals. When methylated, mercury is far more toxic, has far greater affinity for fatty tissues and is far more difficult to remove from the body.[43-45] Under normal circumstances, the body would use these methyl groups to regenerate methionine from homocysteine, to remove any inhibition of cysteine biochemistry by homocysteine, or to perform critical methylating reactions involving S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM).[46]"

"Yet another mechanism by which soy protein might increase homocysteine is through thyroid depression, a well-documented effect.[52-60] In addition to contributing to atherogenesis, arrhythmias, atrial fibrillation, PVCs and other heart disease risk markers, low thyroid status impacts homocysteine levels."

"Thyroid status influences the plasma tHcy. Free triiodothyronid and next free thyroxine have the greatest negative influence. This would account for hyperhomocysteinemia in the hypothyroid state and premature atherogenesis."

"[..]Hypothyroid subjects had higher total homocysteine in both genders[.] Hypothyroid females had higher total and LDL cholesterol, and were more often treated for diabetes."

"[..]soy protein is a product devoid of B12 and reportedly can even increase the body's requirements for B12. FDA-mandated B12 fortification might reduce soy protein's contribution to elevated homocysteine levels by providing the key nutrient (vitamin B12) required for converting it back to methionine, but fortification alone cannot make soy protein a “heart healthy” substance for the myriad reasons discussed above and elsewhere in this petition. These issues include but are not limited to the following: compromised availability of cysteine, cystine and methionine; the incomplete digestion of soy protein due to the action of protease inhibitors and other factors; and the toxic accumulations of ornithine and metal toxins which result from the processing of soy protein."​

Liver once a week does little in terms of making up for the B12 loss, unfortunately. According to the first post again, 2% cottage cheese loses 75% of its B12, so a gross simplification is to imagine that for every 4 meals with that cheese, 1 has the original B12 content and the other 3 are (as Travo would say) B12-null meals.

I guess the best compensation for the refinement is within the meal.

Last edited: