The Connection Of Serotonin And Bowel Movements?

Astolfo

After a few dose of fluoxetine, my life literally is now destroyed. Since a year, I got progressively dumber, plus emotional blunting, severe cognitive impairment, sexual dysfunction, brain fog, loss of muscle coordination, ataxia etc.

These are not the only problems. Every time when I get into a little stress, my gut bloathes, makes strange moves and cause weird noises because of gas inside it.

It's a sudden reaction and it lasts until I stop the deep thinking or everything that causes a stress stimuli. It nearly wrecked a havoc on my life.

What causes this?

Autoimmune reaction?
Serotonin imbalance?
Glucocorticoid receptors?

Please answer after considered all the problems I'm having. My guess is that I caused an autoimmune reaction when I used fluoxetine + triamcinolone combo 13 months ago. It explains why all of the problems are gettings worse with time.

I made several topics about that but didn't even asked clearly what can I do about my gut-serotonin problem. It appears that all problems are serotonin centered.

Building block of "happiness hormone" is key to controlling immunity in cancer and auto-immune diseases

Absence of reuptake of serotonin influences susceptibility to clinical autoimmune disease and neuroantigen-specific interferon-gamma production in mouse EAE

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Check out Pellagra and BeriBeri.

OP
A

Astolfo

The main symptoms of pellagra are dermatitis, dementia, and diarrhea.
  • red, flaky skin
  • areas of discoloration, ranging from red to brown
  • thick, crusty, scaly, or cracked skin
  • itchy, burning patches of skin
  • headaches
  • restlessness or anxiety

I believe it's not pellagra or beriberi. Symptoms are so different. I tried B complex, it didn't make any difference.

redsun

I believe it's not pellagra or beriberi. Symptoms are so different. I tried B complex, it didn't make any difference.

B complex is something you should be taking anyway, regardless if you "feel" a difference, its still doing work inside your body. But besides the point... You sound like you are possibly low in acetylcholine. Try eating eggs throughout the day, say 2 at a time each meal. Vitamins B1 and B12 are needed to synthesize acetylcholine. B5 is needed to make the acetyl CoA part of acetycholine so will help as well. You can try taking those 3 vitamins, but a B-complex along with plenty of choline from eggs, meat, and milk if you can tolerate it is enough to start increasing acetylcholine. More choline in the diet with cofactors will improve your parasympathetic nervous system's function as well as liver function which includes digestion(bloating) and will directly improve your cognitive problems since acetylcholine is so vital to brain function.

OP
A

Astolfo

B complex is something you should be taking anyway, regardless if you "feel" a difference, its still doing work inside your body. But besides the point... You sound like you are possibly low in acetylcholine. Try eating eggs throughout the day, say 2 at a time each meal. Vitamins B1 and B12 are needed to synthesize acetylcholine. B5 is needed to make the acetyl CoA part of acetycholine so will help as well. You can try taking those 3 vitamins, but a B-complex along with plenty of choline from eggs, meat, and milk if you can tolerate it is enough to start increasing acetylcholine. More choline in the diet with cofactors will improve your parasympathetic nervous system's function as well as liver function which includes digestion(bloating) and will directly improve your cognitive problems since acetylcholine is so vital to brain function.
I'm regularly eating eggs. I also tried an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, donepezil. It didn't make any single difference.

How do you explain the progressive brain damage with Choline and B vits? Also why fluoxetine caused all these issues?

syncronicity

I used fluoxetine + triamcinolone combo 13 months ago. It explains why all of the problems are gettings worse with time.

The Rx medications you took, a generic prozac, which is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and the other a synthetic corticosteroid to address skin issues increased stress mediators in you and you were likely already very stressed to begin with - depression is a sign of low metabolism or low energy production and skin issues are likely from nutritional deficiencies. You’re not likely to have success with resolving these issues with Rx medications. It mainly takes nutrition, sun light, creative environments, etc. Those Rx medications likely made everything a lot worse, but it’s not like you took vitamins and everything went sideways. Look at your gut health and diet, irritating foods or gut bacteria overgrowth is leading towards increased serotonin - endotoxin is likely culprit. Estrogen is behind auto-immune issues from a Peat inspired perspective, and endotoxin, nitric oxide, cortisol and serotonin are all connected as they are all mediating stress.

OP
A

Astolfo

I'm not trying to solve my depression anway, it already gone thanks to the disease I have now.

My Estradiol came about 42 a few months ago. Recently I made another blood test and my estradiol came about 30-35. Cortisol is at the lowest range, about 8-10.

I started to take 100 mg aspirin / daily and 100 mcg Menaquinone-7 / weekly. I had read several topics about cognitive diseases and remember that aspirin is able to heal MS. Maybe Naltrexone would be nice too?

@charlie Is LDN okay? I'm 16 btw, if it matters.

stackz07

corticosteroids make your hippocampus smaller and induce memory problems. google "corticosteroid hippocampus volume"

OP
A

Astolfo

corticosteroids make your hippocampus smaller and induce memory problems. google "corticosteroid hippocampus volume"
I know. I saw a few ncbi pages about that.

People, I need some serious help about my gut. Just a little bit of stress or thinkining, and I got an OVERLY active gut. Lots of movement, gas, bloating, noises. It's not a bacterial problem because it is a sudden effect. I can't sleep for days because it wakes me up whenever I try to sleep. School is another hell.

On top of that, myoclonic jerks happens at the same time. So that would be my bowel muscles twiching, maybe?

Any suggestion?

OP
A

Astolfo

@Terma @Amazoniac @SB4

I need yours help because I'm sure it's all because of KYN pathway. I had get a suggestion from hackstasis months ago to look at that pathway, but I couldn't learn much.

Serotonin/tryptophan,kynurenine and immunity is tightly connected to each other. It explains the progressive dementia/daytime sleepines and all those muscular/bowel problems.

Ketogenic diet (1 week) was the only thing which significantly helped with muscle coordination btw : Oxindole

I can tell all the details about my disease if you are willing to help.

The Kynurenine Pathway As a Novel Link between Allergy and the Gut Microbiome

Evidence of gut microbial influence on TRP concentrations and IDO activity raises the question: could targeting the gut microbiome to modulate TRP metabolism and the KYN pathway treat or prevent diseases—specifically allergy? Studies of Bifidobacterium infantis have reported increases of TRP concentrations and KYN metabolites after colonization (92, 116). In contrast, the addition of the Lactobacillus johnsoniiprobiotic has reduced IDO activity in clinical trials (117, 118).

PSSD Collaborative Research • View topic - Fluoxetine and gut microbiota

Appearently, Fluoxetine reduces the number of L. Johnsonii in the gut. I just wrote it here because it may be the first reason why all these started.

Last edited:

Jacob28

@Terma @Amazoniac @SB4

I need yours help because I'm sure it's all because of KYN pathway. I had get a suggestion from hackstasis months ago to look at that pathway, but I couldn't learn much.

Serotonin/tryptophan,kynurenine and immunity is tightly connected to each other. It explains the progressive dementia/daytime sleepines and all those muscular/bowel problems.

Ketogenic diet (1 week) was the only thing which significantly helped with muscle coordination btw : Oxindole

Appearently, Fluoxetine reduces the number of L. Johnsonii in the gut. I just wrote it here because it may be the first reason why all these started.

Did you tried cyproheptadine? Its kind of symptomatic "treatment" buy works nice. Sometimes gives only little effects, depending on your state, but it's better than nothing.

Hans

Forum Supporter
It sounds like you have low stress tolerance. Any little bit of stress will put you over the edge. Unopposed stress (elevated cortisol to androgen ratio) causes gut issues right away. This is caused by an excess of serotonin and cortisol and low androgens. Maybe pepcidAC or cypro could help with the gut by lowering serotonin. Boosting androgen with DHEA, andro and preg could be helpful.

Have you had your hormones checked?

OP
A

Astolfo

Did you tried cyproheptadine? Its kind of symptomatic "treatment" buy works nice. Sometimes gives only little effects, depending on your state, but it's better than nothing.
0.5-2 mg makes me even more lethargic. I didn't see any type of improvement. 4 mg at once had nearly killed me at one night.
  • Clumsiness or jerky movements
  • Muscle weakness
  • Difficulty speaking or slurred speech
  • Blurry or double vision
  • Drowsiness

It sounds like you have low stress tolerance. Any little bit of stress will put you over the edge. Unopposed stress (elevated cortisol to androgen ratio) causes gut issues right away. This is caused by an excess of serotonin and cortisol and low androgens. Maybe pepcidAC or cypro could help with the gut by lowering serotonin. Boosting androgen with DHEA, andro and preg could be helpful.

Have you had your hormones checked?
image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

1.png
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG
6.PNG

Also 'Sedimentation came about 2. The ref is 0-20'

They don't sell DHEA, Pregnenolone nor Androsterone here :(

Hans

Forum Supporter
0.5-2 mg makes me even more lethargic. I didn't see any type of improvement. 4 mg at once had nearly killed me at one night.

They don't sell DHEA, Pregnenolone nor Androsterone here :(
Well your cortisol isn't high. Have you ever experimented with DHEA?

SOMO

I'm not trying to solve my depression anway, it already gone thanks to the disease I have now.

My Estradiol came about 42 a few months ago. Recently I made another blood test and my estradiol came about 30-35. Cortisol is at the lowest range, about 8-10.

I started to take 100 mg aspirin / daily and 100 mcg Menaquinone-7 / weekly. I had read several topics about cognitive diseases and remember that aspirin is able to heal MS. Maybe Naltrexone would be nice too?

@charlie Is LDN okay? I'm 16 btw, if it matters.

For what it’s worth I took LDN at age 16 and it didn’t provide any noticeable benefit.

OP
A

Astolfo

Well your cortisol isn't high. Have you ever experimented with DHEA?
DHEA is not being sold here.
I once experimented with 100 mg(I know it's too much) progesterone. I couldn't see any benefit but it caused mild gynecomastia(mostly unilateral). I felt pain in my armpits for weeks. The pain is gone but the gyno is still not resolved, but I don't care that much after my life completely turned upside down.

For what it’s worth I took LDN at age 16 and it didn’t provide any noticeable benefit.

Do you have dementia too? For what reason did you take it?

SOMO

Do you have dementia too? For what reason did you take it?

Autoimmune issue, I took 4mg at nighttime daily for years.
Maybe it did have some benefit because I had no disease progression, but it definitely didn't impart any sense of well-being, extra energy or strength.

OP
A

Astolfo

Autoimmune issue, I took 4mg at nighttime daily for years.
Maybe it did have some benefit because I had no disease progression, but it definitely didn't impart any sense of well-being, extra energy or strength.

At somewhere I read that it loses its efficacy if the dosage is too much. IIRC, People were usually starting with 0.5-1 mg.

Have you ever tried low dose aspirin/riboflavine/niacin/SSRE/?

Do you have daytime sleepiness?

Have you had look into BH4 or KYN?

Building block of "happiness hormone" is key to controlling immunity in cancer and auto-immune diseases

Lowering Sertonin In The Brain Abolishes Fatigue

Terma

@Terma @Amazoniac @SB4

Sure I just have a loaded schedule for awhile (iow can't make promises), but I'd love to hear about what you have. Certainly kynurenic acid - in the brain (not if first converted in the periphery) - helps in the situation where all the Trp is sent down KMO notably by IDO (through interferon or anything else), but you can also suspect xanthurenic acid might help. But how long exactly were you exposed to fluoxetine for (might have missed it)? Regardless, LPS modulates the Kyn pathway for sure. I haven't read that first article yet (or I did and forgot - minor difference).

[BH4 has also been suspected for quite awhile (on other forums) and I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact]

Last edited:
OP
A

Astolfo

Sure I just have a loaded schedule for awhile (iow can't make promises), but I'd love to hear about what you have. Certainly kynurenic acid - in the brain (not if first converted in the periphery) - helps in the situation where all the Trp is sent down KMO notably by IDO (through interferon or anything else), but you can also suspect xanthurenic acid might help. But how long exactly were you exposed to fluoxetine for (might have missed it)? Regardless, LPS modulates the Kyn pathway for sure. I haven't read that first article yet (or I did and forgot - minor difference).

[BH4 has also been suspected for quite awhile (on other forums) and I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact]

Thanks for giving attention. I'm going to make a post about how the disease progressed and add a list of things I have tried since the beginning.

I took fluoxetine for about 20-30 days. The first side effect, which is excessive sleepiness, appeared at the day 3.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals