The Christ Within

Old Irenaeus

Virtually everything in the old testament is a shadow or type pointing to Christ and delineating spiritual aspects of him in crude physical ways. Physical circumcision is a type for spiritual circumcision of the heart, ie removal of the corruption of the flesh. Removal of the foreskin, while "barbaric", is more hygienic. Likewise, circumcision of the heart cleanses the corruption caused by being separated from God, through union with the holy spirit, which is given as a seal of the new covenant and belonging to God, just as physical circumcision did the same under the old covenant. Another aspect apart from cleanliness is that circumcision causes desensitization to things of the world (ie, physical things) in both cases.

What I find remarkable is that Abraham and his children were not already circumcised because that was already a common practice in his part of the world, probably for cleanliness' sake. But maybe it's not so remarkable because he was born in a region with abundant water that make bathing easy (Ur of the Chaldees) and migrated to an arid region where water was scarce and precious that made bathing more difficult (Negev desert).
Nice response. I miss @tankasnowgod

OccamzRazer

@EustaceBagge I agree. "The Christ Within", come on, the whole point is the Christ 'With OUT' as an externality, a focus.

Not sure how you can involve 'Christ' yet forego the fallen nature of man inherent in Christian belief.

Get your own figurehead!
“To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory..."

Peater

“To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory..."

That seems like misrepresentation to me. It means holding the externality of Christ within you. Not some innate Christ that man somehow has.

Perry Staltic

That seems like misrepresentation to me. It means holding the externality of Christ within you. Not some innate Christ that man somehow has.

Yes, the latter is gnosticism. The Colossian church Paul wrote that to would have been able to interpret his words correctly and avoid that error through sound doctrine.

Warrior

What a fascinating thread filled with interesting observations that resonate a lot with my own perspective and experience along with a smattering of those who think different and thus provide grist for the mill of consciousness via Self reflection.

The hallmarks of a good forum for it would all be so boring if we just echo chambered and nodded our heads in agreement. Bookmarking this to now to read later and will be back with some comments and observations after a relaxed perusal of said content.

Perry Staltic

lol Christpilled. Good word

FrodvDVWcAEYJvD
FrodvCGX0AIUTHd

And calling all the crowd near, [Jesus] said to them, "All hear me and understand. There is nothing from outside a man entering into him that is able to defile him. But the things going out from him, those are the things defiling a man. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear." Mark 7:14-16

Last edited:

Peachy

FrodvDVWcAEYJvD
FrodvCGX0AIUTHd

And calling all the crowd near, [Jesus] said to them, "All hear me and understand. There is nothing from outside a man entering into him that is able to defile him. But the things going out from him, those are the things defiling a man. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear." Mark 7:14-16
Ha. How clever.

baudoman

Have you looked at what is now called the "Jefferson Bible?"

In that version, there is an essay from Jefferson himself in the beginning, talking about his own beliefs, and how he thought Jesus laid down the best moral code and principles he had ever seen.
Thanks for that, @tankasnowgod.

Very interesting to know that one of the founding fathers of America held such beliefs. This is not talked about much, if at all.

Dug deeper and found this:

While Jefferson was a firm theist, the God in which he believed was not the traditional Christian divinity. Jefferson rejected the notion of the Trinity and Jesus’ divinity. He rejected Biblical miracles, the resurrection, the atonement, and original sin (believing that God could not fault or condemn all humanity for the sins of others, a gross injustice).[10] In neither the eighteenth century nor today would most people consider a person with those views a “Christian.”

Summer

FrodvDVWcAEYJvD
FrodvCGX0AIUTHd

I often wonder about this verse, because there are still things than man is forbidden to eat: blood, animals that have been strangled, and meat offered to idols.

TheSir

I often wonder about this verse, because there are still things than man is forbidden to eat: blood, animals that have been strangled, and meat offered to idols.
AFAIK Jesus's refutation is aimed precisely at those laws. There is no food that is forbidden to the Christian. Paul elaborated on this to Corinthians:

Screenshot_20230417-214441_Chrome.jpg

Summer

AFAIK Jesus's refutation is aimed precisely at those laws. There is no food that is forbidden to the Christian. Paul elaborated on this to Corinthians:

View attachment 49501
Right. In Revelation 2:20, Jesus rebukes one of the seven churches for tolerating a woman who was teaching them to eat meat sacrificed to idols. So I guess it’s a matter of whether or not you know the meat was used as a sacrifice?

TheSir

Right. In Revelation 2:20, Jesus rebukes one of the seven churches for tolerating a woman who was teaching them to eat meat sacrificed to idols. So I guess it’s a matter of whether or not you know the meat was used as a sacrifice?
Hmm, good point. It could be due to lack of knowledge as you said, or, alternatively, due to a failure to consume it for the glory of God instead of an idol.

Mauritio

I hope he didn't injure himself doing some kind of experiment on himself.
I doubt that, since his disappearance followed immediately after his disagreement on this thread.
Not sure if he was banned or chose to leave though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I doubt that, since his disappearance followed immediately after his disagreement on this thread.
Not sure if he was banned or chose to leave though.
Not banned but I don’t know anything else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom