The Cause Of Baldness

Peater Piper

I hadn’t explicitly read that androgenic alopecia was an early manifestation of insulin resistance. Quite interesting - another relationship between a broken glucose metabolism and hair loss.

Early Clinical Expressions of Insulin Resistance: The Real Enemy to Look For. - PubMed - NCBI

I’m finally getting down to 10% fat in my diet. I hope the hair keeps improving as my fat % goes down and carbs go up up up.
Yes, there's also some correlation with balding and heart disease. I doubt it's true in all cases, though. My A1C is under 5, my HOMA score is under 1, my insulin and c-peptide are barely detectable, yet I've been balding since I was 18 and was completely bald by 30. *shrug*

Elephanto

Isn't endotoxemia usually associated with inflammation and markers of metabolic syndrome, though? What about people with neither?
I didn't mean it is a prerequisite, there is a couple of root causes I've discussed though it's often a synergetic mix of many. People still make the mistake of trying to pinpoint it on a single cause that would apply to everyone. And someone with an optimal skull structure can get away with much more than someone with an improper one. Don't know what caused yours, you would have to tell your story in details, maybe show levels of several minerals (that sometimes only hair tests may reveal), estrogen, prolactin, cortisol, breathing habits, life details when mpb progressed more rapidly etc.

Luckytype

The realty is the cause of baldness is metabolic dysfunction. Fix your metabolism to something somewhat youthful, eliminate chronic stressors both physiological and emotional that manifest physically and you will stop your hairloss. Anything else, is related to chronic influences that force epigenetic changes.

People need to stop blaming one single thing like their medicine or this supplement or this thing. There isnt one single cause(unless its an easy one like a deficiency caught early) and there likely is a group of several changes that need to be adhered to for a couple of/several years before the body is truly back online. The flip flop spend 1 month on a treatment and bouncing back and forth and doing so blindly with no big picture of diagnostics is going to severely limit progress or prevent it.

Get the picture, adhere to reasonable changes long term, be honest with yourself, fix your metabolism and you will improve your hair.

Arrade

@Amarsh213

BTW that's the guide I'm refering to :
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160444941&pagenumber=1 (the pictures got 404'd apparently)
But I'd be cautious about many of the dosages used (for instance Selenium is detrimental past 100mcg a day or Zinc past 50mg) and wouldn't take Omega 3s (O6 avoidance + Vit E will suffice), Iodine or green tea extract. I think he just took a stack of everything he could find on hairloss forums. Some of the reasons he takes the supps for are wrong imo. Like his avoidance of grains, I think he was doing Keto. (really avoiding gluten, oats, potatoes will do the job since the reason in my opinion is their intestinal permeability increasing properties). As you can see he also takes a lot of coconut oil, which "completetly abolishes the response to endotoxin" in a study posted by haidut. Also avoiding alcohol will help in this regard and taking some Apple Cider Vinegar internally. Really many of the supps work in this way and in lowering nitric oxide, you can also add ginger, the occasional green tea and some herbs tisane like chamomille.

Another guy with full hairline restoration I contacted from this thread years ago only ate white rice with coconut oil. He also did headstands, and told me he felt it was cracking and flattening a kind of "calcified mount" on top of his head.
How do you feel about taurine?
I also found the ACV rinse pretty inconvenient, then again so would be massages.

Elephanto

How do you feel about taurine?
I also found the ACV rinse pretty inconvenient, then again so would be massages.
You have to be consistent with any method/supp to achieve results. Taurine was part of my stack, as the guide adviced 1000-3000mg. It is one of the decalcifying agents, this one does it by inhibiting TGF-Beta which promotes fibrosis. Nowadays I usually take 200mg with each meal for general health.

Other TGF-Beta inhibitors : Zinc, Emodin, Milk Thistle, Olive Oil, Vitamin D, Ginger, Turmeric.

Arrade

You have to be consistent with any method/supp to achieve results. Taurine was part of my stack, as the guide adviced 1000-3000mg. It is one of the decalcifying agents, this one does it by inhibiting TGF-Beta which promotes fibrosis. Nowadays I usually take 200mg with each meal for general health.

Other TGF-Beta inhibitors : Zinc, Emodin, Milk Thistle, Olive Oil, Vitamin D, Ginger, Turmeric.
Could you write a thread/post perhaps?
What exactly from the protocols to adopt and what you use for maintenance purposes?

It’d be really helpful, and we can keep all the discussion in one thread.
I thought you said you didn’t do everything in that bodybuilding thread that’s why I asked about the Taurine

Elephanto

@Arrade
I wrote the actions here (mainly posts 22, 25, 27) then the study on scalp massaging on Page 3 which also proves scalp calcification.
If Calcification Is The Root Of Hair Loss - How To Reverse It? (Magnesium , D, A, K2, Potassium)

For the supps, it's been mainly all the ones from the bodybuilding thread except the Fish Oils (minimizing O6 suffices), High Dose Iodine (still took 1-4 drops sporadically because I don't want to risk causing thyroid damage), Green Tea Extract and the Full-Fat Liver Powder (instead I take B1, B2, B5, Biotin and B12 separately though not daily, liver powder is pretty high in Iron and I had very high Iron levels testing it like 2 years after starting). Plus my meals at the time were mainly white rice with coconut oil, his recommendation of avoiding grains like gluten/oats is a good one that makes a noticeable difference. The others supps I took that gave me noticeable results but aren't on the thread are MSM (2-5 grams), Silica in food (bell peppers, occasional oats or beer), reducing Iron (blood giving, 2 tsps grounded coriander seeds daily, IP6, Cranberry Juice) maybe Methylene Blue (though I find it pretty serotogenic) and not only eating Coconut Oil but also Olive Oil (1-2 tsps) for anti-estrogenic pro-testosterone purposes. B1 & B2 are important for estrogen detoxification by the liver. Avoiding high dairy intake (opioids effect but also contains intact IGF-1 and this increases the IGF1/IGFBP3 ratio that is already high in balding men due to low IGFBP3; had some hairline loss when I tried the milk+sugar Peat diet over a few months). The Selenium form I take is Selenized Yeast (80mcg), instead of Brazil Nuts like in the guide (which are the nuts highest in O6). Occasional pregnenolone (50mg), dhea (5mg) and melatonin (500mcg-1mg) which has decalcifying properties. I took Cayenne Pepper like in the guide during my regrowth but don't anymore as I avoid gut irritants, I don't think it's really necessary because several other supps + coconut oil already have an antimicrobial effect. Nowadays I put powdered ginger in my rice which is anti-microbial, anti-estrogenic and androgenic. I also applied Nizoral sometimes.

edit : Forgot Vitamin A since I didn't take Cod Liver Oil. About 2500-5000iu, always taken with E to avoid oxidation.

Last edited:
OP
C

CLASH

@Elephanto

What about using calcium carbonate to lower PTH for protection against calcification and excess phosphate?

Elephanto

@Elephanto

What about using calcium carbonate to lower PTH for protection against calcification and excess phosphate?

Magnesium already does that.

Relationship between serum magnesium, parathyroid hormone, and vascular calcification in patients on dialysis: a literature review. - PubMed - NCBI

significant inverse relationship between serum Mg and serum intact parathyroid hormone.
an inverse relationship between serum Mg and vascular calcification in these patients.
magnesium carbonate as a phosphate binder

Not that I'm against supplementing Calcium but that would be more for its testosterone-increasing properties (which if I remember correctly, 500mg suffices) and when eating red meat to reduce Iron absorption (300mg). I don't include it in hair loss supps because 1) I've never seen related benefits from it (perhaps I would have if I didn't take Mag which takes care of PTH) and 2) it has not been part of the stack of anyone I've read that had success with regrowth.

OP
C

CLASH

@Elephanto
A simply summary of the protocol could go something like this?? (I added some of my own goodies, this is a workable list so feel free to adjust it).

- Eat enough calories (Katch-mcardle formula is a good estimate/ dont forget to include activity multipliers)

- Eat enough protein .6-.8g/lb bodyweight (from animal sources) (15-20%; too much aint good and if you dont know, now you know)

- Eat enough carbs (sugars- preferably fruit/ juice) probably 200g minimum and adjust from there (40%)

- Eat enough fat (I personally prefer higher fat, like 30-40% calories)

- Magnesium glycinate 400mg a day

- Calcium carbonate 1g/ day

- Zinc picolinate 50mg a day max

- Selenium (probably best from food sources) seafood/ organ meat

- Baking soda 3 tsp a day

-adequate B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B7 (try to obtain B9, B5 from food: leafy greens)

- Vit K2-mk4/ mk7? 1-5mg k2-mk4, 90mcg k2-mk7 min

- Vit D3 2000iu-5000iu (depends on labs, 2000iu being the safest dose)

- Vit E (balance gamma and alpha tocoph., 1:1 ratio minimum) 200- 400iu/ day

- Vit A (probably best from food sources) eggs/organ meat

- Pregnenolone 30mg/ day as needed

- Progesterone 3mg-6mg (for dudes #metoo)/ day as needed

-SAFA acid consumption: coconut oil, beef tallow, cocoa butter (perhaps avoid dairy due to the hormonal component)

-apple cider vinegar with meals

- Avoid PUFA

- Avoid iron: pomegranate juice, cranberry juice, Blood donation, aspirin??

- Avoid masturbation/ sex O.K.

- Avoid immunogenic foods such as dairy, wheat, grains

- Avoid starch for the most part (rice/ sweet potato/ yam/ potato, the grey area, a peatarian twilight zone)

- Detumescence therapy

- Red light therapy

- Exercise

- 8 hours sleep a night

-foam rolling to alter fascial lines

-jaw exercises for skull develoment (i.e. chew hard ***t, before a meal, maybe try jawzrsize [i have not used this contraption, although i’ve been eyeing it lately])

P.S. this is the protocol I’ve been running for the past few months minus the baking soda, masturbation refrainment, and zinc (started the zinc a week ago and the masturbation abstainment 2 weeks ago, havent started baking soda [I think its redundant with calcium carbonate]). I also don’t eat any starch even though theres a gray area.

Arrade

Ive used the Evlotionary.com calcification protocol, I have to say after every meal with the vitamins I feel better. Only reason I stopped was some fallacy in my thinking about using synthetic T4 for my thyroid disorder (don’t).
I’ve started it up again and I’m feeling better. Maybe I can get myself to actually take this for a few months.

Elephanto

@CLASH I'll review stricly on the perspective of hair.

I'm not a fan of fructose, many people here came to say they got more hair loss after starting on a Peat diet. It would be a long subject to debate on, but basically the damage would come from increasing intestinal permeability, liver-fattening and kidney damage. I tried white rice with coconut oil as the bulk of my diet because someone had complete regrowth with this diet + the supps, and it worked for me too. Would it still work with a sugar-heavy diet when the supps and actions are taken, maybe but just telling you what worked for me. Here's something to read if you want Fructose: It’s “Alcohol Without the Buzz”

Low fat is very protective for general health (cancer, diabetes etc), and I think for hair too. In India about everyone is doing low fat and low protein and they are less likely to suffer hair loss. In general, countries with low fat intake have less hair loss while the UK and the USA have more cases. The PUFAs definitely contribute but even a high 100% saturated fat intake isn't good for diabetes and cancer (lypolysis). Peat knows this and recommends a teaspoon of coconut oil with meals, not unlimited sat fat intake. Low protein intake will mean low Arginine and low Tryptophan intake which will help with hair. The several tablespoons of coconut oil wouldn't be considered low fat but that's a phase of endotoxin reduction, you don't have to keep it indefinitely. If you want to get the vitamins/minerals from animals it's good, just saying you don't have to aim at a minimum protein intake for hair.

Add Taurine (1000-3000mg), Niacinamide (500-1500mg), Boron (3-15mg), P-5-P (50mg enteric-coated) and Zinc Picolinate (even if you think you get enough from food, it's so important it's honestly worth trying 50-100mg for a while). The rest is good but I would also add rinsing your scalp with ACV and letting it dry over night (good time to do the scalp massage too). You need much more Magnesium to induce significant decalcification, and the Citrate form is more decalcifying. The guide had 1000-2000mg daily. Try to get sunlight too for your Vit D, exposition to UV also lowers excess keratinocytes production from low IGFBP3 which creates scalp fibrosis. If you eat starch, take ACV apart from meals as it has been shown to specifically reduce starch digestion.

Last edited:

Elephanto

@CLASH Hadn't seen the PS, so you're already doing Zinc (though p-5-p increases its absorption). Bicarbonate isn't the same as Carbonate and it doesn't only raise CO2, it also has an anti-endotoxin effect. Controlled breathing and bag breathing also help.

OP
C

CLASH

@Elephanto

I’ve done a fairly decent amount of reading on fructose. I’ve also experimented with the white rice diet. What I have come to undersrand for the moment is that fructose itself is not an issue per say but bacterial fermentation of fructose in the intestine definetly is. I think most of the negative issues we see with fructose studies are a matter of context. 1) fructose cant be digested/absorbed in any significant quantity without glucose. 2) fructose and glucose as monosaccharides are readily digested by bacteria in the gut and monosaccharides are associated with pathogenic species in the gut i.e. endotoxin. The whole fatty liver, metabolic x stuff with fructose, I think, is just bacterial endproduct overload. My solution to this fructose/ monosaccharide issue is to just eat fruit/ fruit juice. Its more nutrient dense than most starches and it doesnt cause the fatty liver/ weight gain/ endotoxemia issues i’ve seen from sucrose, fructose and glucose. I think the fruits come with fiber, polysaccharides and flavanols/ polyphenols that are antibiotic/ antifungal and serve to promote the growth of more favorable species in the colon. Either way, if you digest starches fine i’d say sweet potatoes, yams, white potatoes are pretty good with white rice being pretty benigin minus its lack of nutrients.

A Review on the Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Pomegranate in the Gastrointestinal Tract

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408398.2013.767221?scroll=top&needAccess=true&

http://www.journalrepository.org/media/journals/IJBCRR_3/2017/Mar/Ahmed1542017IJBCRR32056.pdf

Orange juice neutralizes the proinflammatory effect of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal and prevents endotoxin increase and Toll-like receptor expr... - PubMed - NCBI

As for low fat, I’d say its probably dependent on the individual, although most primates dont have low fat diets and I have seen studies showing low fat lead to lower testosterone but the data isnt too clear and a bit mixed based on the study and how it was done. I also think low fat can definetly lead to issues with keeping the small intestine clear. I think the fat itself, its stimulating properties on the liver and small intestine as well as in bile are pretty important. Overall, i see humans as monkeys (fruit/leaf eaters) that developed an ability to eat meat/fat and some starchy roots as well. I’d argue thats our “ideal” diet but this is a bit tangential. As for the protein i’d say the minimum intake is more for general health/ lean mass than it is for hair specifically. I dont think going too low is very good, Regardless of the life extension from the amino acid restriction. Sacrificing quality of life for quantity makes no sense for me. I’d say animal sources are the best digested, most well utilized by the body with the least offensive properties, in general.

The B vitamins are there (I didnt give doses or form so the P5P and niacinamide are good recs, although I hope everyone on the forum knows about the issues with niacin). The zinc is also listed above in the original post but I only have it at 50mg because of possible copper issues. I think its safer to load a smaller dose over a longer time than a larger dose over the shorter.

Yes sunlight for sure. Thats alot of mag citrate, I alread ***t my brains out on 400mg of mag glycinate. Also from what I understand mag glycinate is better absorbed. I havent fully read the study but i doubt 1000-2000mg is needed in healthy people to remove calcification, maybe in the kidney patients. How much is even absorbed of the 1000-2000?

The vinegar and starch point is valid for sure. What is the proposed mechanism of vinegar on the scalp? Wats the percentage of solution?

Last edited:
OP
C

CLASH

@Elephanto
I supplement p5p as well, fogot to mention it specifically but your right about that one for sure.
Agree with you on the baking soda and controlled breathing.

Elephanto

@CLASH
Pomegranate increases nitric oxide btw, I usually get hair-worsening signs when I take things that are pro-nitric oxide.

I respect your opinion, and it's really a matter of which attributes you want to base your perspective of fructose vs starch on. Honestly I'm overcomplicating it as the supps and actions do most of the job (though from experience avoiding gluten and too much dairy are important), so yeah you should stick to your current diet if it works for you and only keep my advices on supps. I'm not 100% sugar-free too, I like a small glass of orange juice as dessert based on the same study you linked. Taurine stimulates bile acids, and I think that you don't neccesarily need a high fat intake for that too, just enough rather.

You will definitely have liquid bowel movements with this much Magnesium but it worked (this is not a maintenance dose, I take around 500mg nowadays and no liquid bowel movements). The citrate is not for better absorption (although it has good absorption) but because citric acid has decalcifying properties on its own. I also proposed that a lower Magnesium intake could work if one takes High Dose MSM since it is very decalcifying so you could try that instead. All sulfur agents are decalcifying (Taurine, MSM, pure Sulfur). Vinegar on the scalp, well because it is acidic and will decalcify topically.

There was a website too where the method to decalcify was to train your occipital and temple muscles (like triggering the back of your head if it makes sense). It's something that I do casually but anyway what I wanted to point about that is that as I decalcified with topical vinegar, I noticed that I could more easily trigger those muscles the next morning.

Last edited:
OP
C

CLASH

@Elephanto
Thanks for your responses.
Definetly splitting hairs on the fruit/ juice vs. starch (potato, rice, sweet potato) aspect, i would say if thats the biggest dietary issue, its really a non-issue in the the overall context for most people (if it wasnt fruit but sucrose, I think it’d be a little bit different).
Agree on taurine being helpful, glycine too. Also agree on needing just enough fat, not too much, not too little.

Do you have studies on the MSM with calcification? I ask not because I doubt you but because I am interested in reading them myself and learning more.

Yes, I’ve seen the tom haggerty scalp exercise stuff. Its definely possible that it helps.

Again, thanks for your time.