The Case Of Mistaken Identity: How Pellagra Now Thought To Be Rare Became Known As Celiac Disease

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
"Pellagra is/was first identified as occurring in Corn based feedstuffs it is/was only natural that when STRESS (WWII) triggered it (Celiac Disease/Pellagra by another name) in wheat based grain diets that doctor’s didn’t see the similarities. So a new disease was being described/created to explain why wheat consuming people developed a malabsorption syndrome that could/would be mistaken for Pellagra if the diet was Corn based.

So this medical myth became medical fact in the 50’s and it has not been challenged really until the functional medicine doctor Prousky conclusively proved Niacin treats digestive problems just as Pellagra Preventive Factor Vitamin B-3 did then protect (cause remission) people from Diarrhea, IBS, and other GI problems not yet classified in the early 20th century so too can/does Niacin(amide) (I believe) now treat Celiac disease today because Celiac disease was the first time Pellagra was described in a wheat based diet. The One (Pellagra faded away) and is replaced now by Celiac disease."

More at link:
When Myth becomes Medical Fact People suffer unnecessarily; The Case of Mistaken Identity: How Pellagra now thought to be rare became known as Celiac Disease — A White Paper

Last edited:

Tarmander

Pretty interesting. Don't most wheat products get fortification with niacin?

tankasnowgod

Pretty interesting. Don't most wheat products get fortification with niacin?

Yes, niacin is one of the B fortification vitamins, but it's not a lot. One slice of white bread has about 4-6% of the RDA of niacin. The article is actually arguing that fortification reduced the amount of celiac, but the cases of celiac have been climbing since fortification began. But this is likely due to the addition of iron in fortification, basically in the form of iron shavings. Any benefit of the added B vitamins is likely wiped out and reversed by the added iron.

GorillaHead

I can confirm with absolute certainty high dose niacin has put me in remission almost every single time! I have IBD. Ulcerative colitis.

Inaut

I found the same until I started adding it to my OJ with some added dextrose. Mistakenly added 250mg this morning instead of my 100mg and had no adverse reactions. Maybe I’m building up a tolerance slowly...

David PS

I disagree with the idea that Celiac Disease is just a new name for an old disease, Pellagra.

Pellagra derives from the Italian "pelle agra", meaning “rough skin.”, which is prominent clinical indication of the disease. The rough skin develops in areas exposed to the sun. A clueless doctor told my younger brother that he just had a gene that made his skin photosensitive. LOL
See the images from an Evil Google search.
pellagra - Google Search

In contrast, Celiac Disease does not cause the same rough skin. Celiac Disease - Google Search

Niacinamide, much like love, is a many-splendored thing. It can be used to both treat Celiac Disease and Pellagra. But that does not mean that Celiac Disease is just a new name for an old disease, Pellagra.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I disagree with the idea that Celiac Disease is just a new name for an old disease, Pellagra.

Pellagra derives from the Italian "pelle agra", meaning “rough skin.”, which is prominent clinical indication of the disease. The rough skin develops in areas exposed to the sun. A clueless doctor told my younger brother that he just had a gene that made his skin photosensitive. LOL
See the images from an Evil Google search.
pellagra - Google Search

In contrast, Celiac Disease does not cause the same rough skin. Celiac Disease - Google Search

Niacinamide, much like love, is a many-splendored thing. It can be used to both treat Celiac Disease and Pellagra. But that does not mean that Celiac Disease is just a new name for an old disease, Pellagra.
Rough skin does not always present with Pellagra. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. That is what "can include these symptoms" means. So maybe instead of us calling it this name(Pellagra), and that name(Beriberi), why not call it a simple vitamin deficiency that it is?

David PS

Agreed, a vitamin deficiency is best described as a vitamin deficiency. But I am not convinced that Celiac Disease is caused by a lack of a vitamin. B3 may mitigate the symptoms but that does not mean that a lack of B3 in the diet is the cause.

Others have proposed that an overabundance of glyphosate in our environment that makes it into our gut could impair that pathways in our gut bacteria, leading to a reduced synthesis of certain micronutrients and amino acids (including tryptophan). Mammals, including humans, can synthesize the vitamin nicotinamide from tryptophan in the liver. Coincidently, the incidence of Celiac Disease seems to be rising in lockstep with the use of glyphosate.

redsun

Agreed, a vitamin deficiency is best described as a vitamin deficiency. But I am not convinced that Celiac Disease is caused by a lack of a vitamin. B3 may mitigate the symptoms but that does not mean that a lack of B3 in the diet is the cause.

Others have proposed that an overabundance of glyphosate in our environment that makes it into our gut could impair that pathways in our gut bacteria, leading to a reduced synthesis of certain micronutrients and amino acids (including tryptophan). Mammals, including humans, can synthesize the vitamin nicotinamide from tryptophan in the liver. Coincidently, the incidence of Celiac Disease seems to be rising in lockstep with the use of glyphosate.

I am by no means an expert on celiac or its history, but wasnt wheat-derives foods an incredibly common food that everyone ate just decades ago? Even further back? Just like disease is becoming increasingly more common in the modern day, so are all sorts of food intolerances, not just gluten. Seeing as B3 is needed in the highest quantities of all the Bs(unless you include choline) and we know it is directly involved in protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism, its not too much of a stretch to think all food intolerances are somehow related to nutrient deficiencies or imbalances.

B2(FAD), B6(P5P), iron, and folate are required to make niacin from tryptophan. Any deficiency in any or a combination of those 4 nutrients can severely reduce niacin synthesis, limiting how much you can make. If you get decent amounts of B6 in the diet but you have poor conversion rate to P5P(which relies on riboflavin among other things) it reduces niacin synthesis. If you get plenty of iron in the diet but you arent absorbing it because of gut damage and/or because you dont eat heme iron and have terrible non heme iron absorption that will mess with it. If folate intake is low or only in the form of folic acid from wheat, it will require a few cofactors to make methylfolate.

Assuming you have good status with all these nutrients, then maybe you'll make all the NAD you need, otherwise, you rely heavily on diet or possible supplementation to meet those requirements. And that's a big assumption, especially in the average modern population who rely on cereal, breads, pasta, cake, cured meats instead of fresh, candy and chocolate instead of fruits...

RatRancher

Good god how did I miss these posts Charlie?

Pellagra,beri-beri are known effects of vitamin deficiency.
So, what other diseases are associated with b deficiency?
We know many cancer patients are thiamine deficient. Do the other diseases of the 20th/21st century
also have a deficiency as a cause? I am begining to think that our primary killers are the result of deficiencies in our diet.

If you have developed IBS,Celiac etc then your absorption of these nutrients is impaired when its most needed.
Hypochloridia also lowers intrinsic factor which causes B12 deficiency....and dont even get me started on the bodies troubles with getting mg.

The more i research the more I tend to believe that a lack of proper nutrients is the cause of all disease. The assimilation of these nutrients is limited by the digestive system.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good god how did I miss these posts Charlie?
Lack of B1? :ss2
I am begining to think that our primary killers are the result of deficiencies in our diet.
Me too.
The more i research the more I tend to believe that a lack of proper nutrients is the cause of all disease.
Ditto that.

I have been doing a bunch of threads on this lately, here is one where I try and tie a few of them together.
Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

OliviaD

Thank you SO much for this - I'm just beginning to read. Been suffering for over a decade with little significant change. Since this is a few years old now.. just wondering if you've had an significant changes or additions to report. You seem to be have done, and are likely continuing to do great research!

Thank you again. I'll probably be asking more questions as I go along!