The Biologic Effects of Grounding the Human Body During...

Rachel

The full study is in pdf format, complete with groovy charts and stuff. :) Here's the abstract and some basic information on grounding.

The Biologic Effects of Grounding the Human Body During Sleep as Measured by Cortisol Levels and Subjective Reporting of Sleep, Pain, and Stress
MAURICE GHALY, M.D.,1 and DALE TEPLITZ, M.A.2
ABSTRACT
Objectives: Diurnal cortisol secretion levels were measured and circadian cortisol profiles were evaluated
in a pilot study conducted to test the hypothesis that grounding the human body to earth* during sleep will result
in quantifiable changes in cortisol. It was also hypothesized that grounding the human body would result
in changes in sleep, pain, and stress (anxiety, depression, irritability), as measured by subjective reporting.
Subjects and Interventions: Twelve (12) subjects with complaints of sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress were
grounded to earth during sleep for 8 weeks in their own beds using a conductive mattress pad. Saliva tests were
administered to establish pregrounding baseline cortisol levels. Levels were obtained at 4-hour intervals for a
24-hour period to determine the circadian cortisol profile. Cortisol testing was repeated at week 6. Subjective
symptoms of sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress were reported daily throughout the 8-week test period.
Results: Measurable improvements in diurnal cortisol profiles were observed, with cortisol levels significantly
reduced during night-time sleep. Subjects’ 24-hour circadian cortisol profiles showed a trend toward normalization.
Subjectively reported symptoms, including sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress, were reduced or eliminated
in nearly all subjects.
Conclusions: Results indicate that grounding the human body to earth (“earthing”) during sleep reduces
night-time levels of cortisol and resynchronizes cortisol hormone secretion more in alignment with the natural
24-hour circadian rhythm profile. Changes were most apparent in females. Furthermore, subjective reporting
indicates that grounding the human body to earth during sleep improves sleep and reduces pain and stress.

Appendix A
Grounding (Earthing)
Electrically grounding the human body refers to maintaining the body at the natural electrical potential (voltage) of the
earth. The voltage of the earth is a measure of the free electrons that reside on the earth’s surface (Gish, 1936).
Grounding the human body by close coupling it with a ground plane in the form of a conductive mattress pad, placed
under a bed sheet and connected directly to the earth, significantly reduces the 60 Hz electric field–induced body voltage
by offsetting the attraction of a 60 Hz electric field from the body (which is small) to the earth (which is large). This creates
a stabilizing effect on the electrons of the body that were previously disturbed by the attraction of the 60 Hz electric
field to the body.
60 HZ ELECTRIC FIELD–INDUCED BODY VOLTAGE
An electric field is created by the excitation of the space surrounding an electrified object. All energized electrical wires
and electrical devices create an electric field. In space, an electric field travels in an isotropic pattern away from its source
at the speed of light. However, when a conductive object such as a human body, which is composed primarily of mineralized
water, is in the proximity of an electric field, it becomes an antenna and the lines of force of the electric field bend
toward the body and become denser between the body and the source of the electric field. The effect of an electric field
on the body is that it electrifies it (creates voltage in the body) by exciting electrons of the body. This process is called
“electrical induction,” which is different from “electrical conduction,” which is electrification by contact (a direct flow of
electrons from one object to another). (Dolbear, 1898)
The human body may be most chronically exposed to and electrified by 60-Hz electric fields when in bed (Coghill,
1996). (During a 6–10-hour period, a person’s body is within inches of energized electrical wires in the wall at the head
of the bed and energized electrical cords and appliances near the bed.)
http://www.next-up.org/pdf/ACM_Journal_ ... s_2004.pdf

kettlebell

Re: The Biologic Effects of Grounding the Human Body During.

Thanks for that Rachel! Thats fascinating!

Will having a grounding wrist strap going out of the window into the ground do the same thing? What metal is used for the wire that goes outside to the ground?

OP
Rachel

Rachel

You're welcome, kettlebell! :)
Will having a grounding wrist strap going out of the window into the ground do the same thing?
Yep.
I prefer to have something with a larger area of contact, though. Do you not have any grounded outlets?
What metal is used for the wire that goes outside to the ground?
Me no know.
http://www.earthing.com/product_p/grk.htm It's a ground rod with a 40 ft cord.

kettlebell

I prefer to have something with a larger area of contact, though. Do you not have any grounded outlets?

In the bedroom, Im not sure. Any common bedroom items that are grounded outside? I can't think of any

gabriel79

Kettlebell, How are you contacting the ground surface? The usual grounding is done with javelin (not sure if they call it like that inEnglish) going deep into the ground ( couple of meters at least).
. If your house has proper grounding you could take a cable from the ground pin in the power outlets (pin in the middle). Are you familiar with electrical installations?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

gabriel, they are called "grounding rods" here. And most homes would have that, although I would be scared to tap into that! :eek

gabriel79

Well, that rod is your best ground connection at home. I used to work (like 12 years ago) in a repair center for electronics. We (all the technicians repairing electronic boards) used diffusive mats on top of the desk, wrist strap and shoe heels straps. All that was connected via a normal cable to the ground connection of a plug. I did the connection myself. Of course you don't need to go directly to the plug. Take a cable out from the plug and you can use a board where you plug everything.
ESD security materials is probably what you're looking for. Never go directly with a cable from your skin to the grounding, use diffusive (not conductive) materials. Just in case for some reason your ground connection touches a live cable.

gabriel79

I forgot. If you decide to connect to the house grounding, make sure you've installed a differential disjunctor, not only a temperature fuse. I'm not knowledgeable of electrical security norms for houses in the US.

OP
Rachel

Rachel

gabriel79 said:
I forgot. If you decide to connect to the house grounding, make sure you've installed a differential disjunctor, not only a temperature fuse. I'm not knowledgeable of electrical security norms for houses in the US.
There's no mention of this in the instructions that came with my earthing pad. You do, however, need to test your outlet with the provided ground checker to ensure that it's properly grounded.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Rachel, he is talking about using the homes electrial system to ground yourself because most homes should have a dedicated ground that theoretically (I think) you could access.