The biggest missing links to optimal brain function – part 1

Hans

Forum Supporter
What inspired me to write this article is overall reductionism when it comes to mental function. Far too many people want to focus on specific neurotransmitters and blame certain ones for certain conditions (e.g. low dopamine in anhedonia), but health as a whole started to deteriorate first, and anhedonia is just a symptom. One of the first things to go wrong is proper energy production. Once that goes down, neurotransmitter dysregulation starts to occur, and mental conditions are developed. If you just focus on the basics first, then focusing on a specific system might not even be necessary.
I've had many guys tell me that their cognition and mental conditions improved a lot just from eating more carbs. Adding in certain supplements to support proper energy production can enhance cognitive function even more since it "fills up a pothole" so to speak.

Part 1 of this series is about the importance of carb intake, part 2 about thyroid and part 3 about solutions to restore dysfunctional energy production.

Let me know what you guys think.

Korven

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to part 2 and 3!

I definitely feel more stupid and slow-witted, and grumpy and irritable, on keto/carnivore type diets. Carbs on the other hand light up my brain like a christmas tree.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to part 2 and 3!

I definitely feel more stupid and slow-witted, and grumpy and irritable, on keto/carnivore type diets. Carbs on the other hand light up my brain like a christmas tree.
Thanks for reading.
For me, I felt decent (or so I thought) on a low carb diet, but relatively flat. Kind of too serious and prone to frustration and irritation, whereas with carbs I'm much more relaxed and my brain feels like it's in that resting energetic state; ready to work at max capacity when needed.

AndrewGesell

Thanks for reading.
For me, I felt decent (or so I thought) on a low carb diet, but relatively flat. Kind of too serious and prone to frustration and irritation, whereas with carbs I'm much more relaxed and my brain feels like it's in that resting energetic state; ready to work at max capacity when needed.
What do you think is a good carb source for continual exercise? I’m taking dancing lessons and will become irritated pretty quick between sips of orange juice. It’s definitely my liver not storing glycogen. What would you take for energy and focus for late evenings like that?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What do you think is a good carb source for continual exercise? I’m taking dancing lessons and will become irritated pretty quick between sips of orange juice. It’s definitely my liver not storing glycogen. What would you take for energy and focus for late evenings like that?
I personally like apple juice for exercise, but OJ can work as well. I've found that OJ has a blood sugar lowering effect for me, especially when I was low carb. If my energy is low in the evening, then I usually didn't feed properly during the day. I need to start the day strong with lots of carbs, then lots of carbs during the day, carbs right before training and then intra-workout carbs as well.
That might seem like a lot of carbs, but if you're doing an active job, then that will help a lot. If your job is not as active, then just make sure you start the say strong with carbs and salt.
Perhaps you can throw in some caffeine/Pyrucet, taurine, B1, aspirin and methylene blue. Caffeine/Pyrucet boosts glucose oxidation and will keep energy stable. Taurine promotes glycogen storage and can help to keep stress hormones low. B1 is the rate-limited step for glucose oxidation and high doses of B1 can really help to increase CO2, which makes the training easier. Aspirin is also helpful against stress hormones and can promote glucose oxidation. Methylene blue is great for boosting ATP and CO2 production. Many people that use methylene blue report better, calmer, deeper breathing, which also helps with exercise endurance and performance.

golder

I personally like apple juice for exercise, but OJ can work as well. I've found that OJ has a blood sugar lowering effect for me, especially when I was low carb. If my energy is low in the evening, then I usually didn't feed properly during the day. I need to start the day strong with lots of carbs, then lots of carbs during the day, carbs right before training and then intra-workout carbs as well.
That might seem like a lot of carbs, but if you're doing an active job, then that will help a lot. If your job is not as active, then just make sure you start the say strong with carbs and salt.
Perhaps you can throw in some caffeine/Pyrucet, taurine, B1, aspirin and methylene blue. Caffeine/Pyrucet boosts glucose oxidation and will keep energy stable. Taurine promotes glycogen storage and can help to keep stress hormones low. B1 is the rate-limited step for glucose oxidation and high doses of B1 can really help to increase CO2, which makes the training easier. Aspirin is also helpful against stress hormones and can promote glucose oxidation. Methylene blue is great for boosting ATP and CO2 production. Many people that use methylene blue report better, calmer, deeper breathing, which also helps with exercise endurance and performance.
I know it would be overkill to take these all at once, but in theory are there any contra-indications with B1/aspirin/pyrucet/taurine/MB/caffeine taken together?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I know it would be overkill to take these all at once, but in theory are there any contra-indications with B1/aspirin/pyrucet/taurine/MB/caffeine taken together?
Yes, I'd definitely only try one at a time. My first choice would be pyrucet, but if you don't have that, then some aspirin and taurine would be next.
I forgot to mention sodium bicarb. That's also great for improving exercise performance.
But to answer your question, no contra-indication between those supplements.

Beastmode

@Hans Staying over 400 g of carbs definitely makes a difference. Sleep is better which in turn makes cognition even stronger.

I'm with you on the apple juice. I bring 3 cups of it mixed with 3 scoops (15 g of protein) great lakes gelatin to the gym with me.

golder

Yes, I'd definitely only try one at a time. My first choice would be pyrucet, but if you don't have that, then some aspirin and taurine would be next.
I forgot to mention sodium bicarb. That's also great for improving exercise performance.
But to answer your question, no contra-indication between those supplements.
Cheers Hans. I’ll obviously be sure to not use these all at once. People would tweak dosages depending on their physiology and goals, but all things being equal on an average hypometabolic male (let’s say 30 years old, 80kg, moderate to high stress and PUFA exposure throughout his life), what dosages would you give each of these compounds in a typical therapeutic context?:

Aspirin 300-500mg 2-3 times a day?
Vitamin K 1mg for every 300mg of aspirin
B1 500-1000mg 1-2 times a day?
Niacinamide 100-200mg 2-3 times a day?
Glycine 500-1000mg 2-3 times a day?
Taurine 500-1000mg 1-2 times a day?
Pyrucet 3-5 drops 2-3 times a day?
MB 0.5-1mg 1-2 times a day?
Caffeine - coffee as tolerated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals