The Best Sleep Concoction

Ewlevy1 said:
Visionofstrength,

Where did you hear Peat talk about excessive urination and enemas?
The idea is that excessive small amounts of urination are likely caused by pressure on your bladder. This would seem to be from inflammation caused by endotoxins in the lower bowel (the sigmoid colon).

Peat recommends a saline enema to speed peristalsis in the lower bowel. Though forum member named peatarian says Peat suggested to her large doses of activated charcoal to clear endotoxin inflammation in the bowel. She used 4 tablespoons before going to bed, every other night.

Peat also quotes a study showing the coconut oil "completely abolished responses to endotoxins." The combination of charcoal and coconut oil may be complementary.

[Edit: Peat says this about saline solution enemas:
Sometimes doctors recommend that constipated people should drink extra water, "to soften the stool." The colon is where water is removed from the intestinal contents, and when it is inflamed, it removes too much water. Several decades ago, it was recognized (Orr, et al., 1931) that hypertonic saline, given intravenously, would stimulate intestinal peristalsis, and could be used to treat paralytic ileus and intestinal obstruction.

When water is taken orally, it is absorbed high in the intestine, long before it reaches the colon, so the recommendation to drink water for constipation can produce a situation that's the opposite of intravenous hypertonic saline, by diluting the blood. Using a hypertonic salt solution as an enema can have the same beneficial effect on the intestine as the intravenous treatment.]

haidut

Forum Supporter
visionofstrength said:
Ewlevy1 said:
Visionofstrength,

Where did you hear Peat talk about excessive urination and enemas?
The idea is that excessive small amounts of urination are likely caused by pressure on your bladder. This would seem to be from inflammation caused by endotoxins in the lower bowel (the sigmoid colon).

Peat recommends a saline enema to speed peristalsis in the lower bowel. Though forum member named peatarian says Peat suggested to her large doses of activated charcoal to clear endotoxin inflammation in the bowel. She used 4 tablespoons before going to bed, every other night.

Peat also quotes a study showing the coconut oil "completely abolished responses to endotoxins." The combination of charcoal and coconut oil may be complementary.

The fact that coconut oil abolishes the response to endotoxin ia backed up by this study on monolaurin and HIV.

http://www.ihe-online.com/e-news/detail ... index.html

"...GML is being considered as an additive to tampons because it interferes with bacteria, particularly those that can cause a potentially fatal infection called toxic shock syndrome. If it can be shown to work safely in women, GML might provide the first easy route to a microbicide -- a gel or a cream that women could use vaginally to protect themselves from infection with the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, which causes AIDS."

So, IMO two important points here. First, coconut oil and specifically lauric acid seem to have a very good track of evidence for protecting against endotoxin. Second, from the study above and the one I posted several months ago, it looks like the endotoxin-HIV connection becomes even stronger. Here is one more discussion on GML and how inflammation/endotoxin drives the disease progression.

http://www.wired.com/2009/03/newmicrobicide/

"...A growing number of scientists think the progression of the disease is driven by inflammation. Previous research showed that exposure to SIV — the simian equivalent of HIV — prompts the immune system to summon specialized white blood cells, which are the primary victims of both HIV and SIV. Once under attack, they call in more white blood cells. These also fall prey. The cycle repeats until infection is firmly entrenched."

The above is also how endotoxin response happens and can get out of control and cause "toxic shock syndrome". I think the shock syndrome is a synonym for septic shock, and elevated endotoxin causes "low-grade septic shock" according to Peat.
Anyways, sorry to hi-jack the thread like that:): The post I am responding to was about endotoxin and there has been a lot of research lately tying endotoxin to a number of chronic conditions like HIV and cancer. Coconut oil and charcoal seem to be a great combo for keeping the bowels under control.

SQu

Before you go back on topic - thank you haidut, this could even be lifesaving info. A friend lost his daughter to toxic shock syndrome. My daughters seldom use tampons but when they do I'm going to suggest to that they use a dab of coconut oil.

Giraffe

Has anyone tried taurine for sleep issues? LIke to share your experience?

Luann

I think we can pretty much stop here. We know what your overarching issue is. If your breathing is bad, you lack carbonates. All of Peat's methods that you are already trying can be seen fundamentally as ways to increase carbonates, because Peat and a century of scientific tradition believes that carbonates are the master hormone in the body.

I've started a thread here, to talk about safe and practical ways to supplement carbonates. I very much hope you'll participate?!

Sign me up. Although, is it rebreathing? Did a ton of that last night and slept with the covers over my head, to rather small effect : /

yerrag

For the past two nights, I've slept exceptionally well. I had already been going to bed with a warm glass of milk, mixed with 1 tbsp sugar, 2 grams taurine, 10 grams of collagen hydrolysate, as well as 1 tbsp equivalent of virgin coconut oil in the form of coconut milk. Still, I sleep wake up 3-4 times a night to pee. Needless to say, this kind of sleep interruption disrupts my REM sleep, and isn't ideal for rest and repair, as well as recuperation.

I started adding 10 mg each of thiamine and riboflavin, and about 100 mg of niacinamide, and 500 mg of GABA. I was amazed that I only woke up once to pee, and when I woke up I wasn't urinating as much to make up for the not urinating as much. Most of all, I seem to feel more energetic during the day, and wasn't feeling tempted to take a nap at all. And since I've stopped drinking coffee (for now, as it increased my already high blood pressure), this is even more significant.

I think it was the GABA that did it though, as I did a google search on urinating and GABA and I came up with the following article:

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/31092/title/To-Pee-or-Not-to-Pee/

It's a short article, and I'm bad at summarizing, but to make a short summary, rats were injected with GABA into a region of their brain called the periaqueductal grey (PAG). The rats reduced their urination rate by a third, or even stopped urinating.

I'll do some more experiments on my sleep to determine if it was indeed GABA and not any of the other substances I took (thiamine, riboflavin, niacinamide). I will also add more salt (3g) to my daily intake later on to see if I will still be able to sleep soundly with GABA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals