OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Chocolate milk preworkout :) OJ with bs creatine and dextrose post work out :):)
Nice. Why BS post-workout? And also why no protein post-workout?

I usually put some cornflakes in a cup, fill it wis water, heat it up in a microwave a bit, wait till they absorb the water then add some salt, a tbsp of honey and a teaspoon of coconut oil. Sometimes I add cinnamon to it. Digests quickly an easily and tastes good!

equipoise

What works for me best is not having a set gym routine. In the past I'd go 3 times a week and it'd be like Mon - Wed - Fri. If I didn't feel my best Fri, I'd still do it.

Now I only workout when I FEEL I can go there, bang a hundred dips, pushups, pullups, stuff like that. When I actually feel strong.

So that's when I've:

1. slept real good (wake up naturally, usually with a smirk, and always with a boner that my gf takes care of ;))
2. had a huge breakfast with a cup of strong coffee. (eggs, cheese, white bread, honey, juice, whatever)
3. most important part: not lifting right now after breakfast, but wait an hour after lunch)
4. reap the benefits of a good lifting session, such as positive mood, dry body, obvious estrogen reduction, deeper voice.

IF you are not finishing your sets with deeper voice and a relaxed flaccid, you're doing it WRONG.

flaccid penis shape is a huge sign of doing things right/wrong.

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure every single male feels best when he's packin some heat down there. shriveled on the other hand can't be good. it's a huge stress indicator.

as always Freud is right again

Inaut

Nice. Why BS post-workout? And also why no protein post-workout?

I usually eat dinner after workouts so I get my protein from beef or seafood.

I use BS pre and post workout. Every time I drink OJ I add some in.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I usually eat dinner after workouts so I get my protein from beef or seafood.

I use BS pre and post workout. Every time I drink OJ I add some in.
Ah, ok. Just be careful with the BS too close to meat, as too much might inhibit proper protein digestion.

David90

Fueling your workouts properly is key to performing optimally.
Sometimes is difficult to get it right. Either the amount is not enough, or we get gastric upset, or worse, hypoglycemia during the workout. With the right carb source, we can prevent that from happening.

A few benefits of pre-workout carbs are:
  • Increased glucose oxidation during exercise
  • Limited cortisol, noradrenaline and serotonin increase
  • Improved exercise performance
  • Better mood and cognition, etc.
The best pre-workout carbs for athletes for maximal exercise performance » MENELITE

What do you usually use pre-workout and what works best for you?

Good Article @Hans

I have tryed your Pre-Workout Tips too (500ml of Milk, with 20-25g of Gelatin and with Fructose, about one Hour before the Workout). Of Course it takes a while to digest because of the Milk. But i was having (surprisingly) Great Energy throughout the Workout.

My Personal Pre Workout was Mostly 4 Eggs with some Beets, Potatoes and Fruit (When i Workout in the Forenoon). Or Potatoes with Gelatin, a bit of Cheese, some Beets and some Fruit (When i Workout in the Evening).

Also i have some Orange Juice (8-10 ounces) mixed with Salt and Sparkling Water, Intra-Workout.

But i experiment more with your Honey and Milk Variation this Month and see how it goes.

PS: Now that Gyms are Closing again here in Germany do to the Incoming Lockdown for the Whole November :):angry:) i have to do Home Workout's again. Thankfully i have a Home Gym now, where i can do Bench Press (Flat and Incline), Shoulder Press, Lat Pulldown, Leg Extensions and so forth....:blush:

What works for me best is not having a set gym routine. In the past I'd go 3 times a week and it'd be like Mon - Wed - Fri. If I didn't feel my best Fri, I'd still do it.

Now I only workout when I FEEL I can go there, bang a hundred dips, pushups, pullups, stuff like that. When I actually feel strong.

So that's when I've:

1. slept real good (wake up naturally, usually with a smirk, and always with a boner that my gf takes care of ;))
2. had a huge breakfast with a cup of strong coffee. (eggs, cheese, white bread, honey, juice, whatever)
3. most important part: not lifting right now after breakfast, but wait an hour after lunch)
4. reap the benefits of a good lifting session, such as positive mood, dry body, obvious estrogen reduction, deeper voice.

IF you are not finishing your sets with deeper voice and a relaxed flaccid, you're doing it WRONG.

flaccid penis shape is a huge sign of doing things right/wrong.

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure every single male feels best when he's packin some heat down there. shriveled on the other hand can't be good. it's a huge stress indicator.

as always Freud is right again

Same here. Having a good Pre Workout Meal and some Good Sleep the Night Before, can make a Big Differnce in Your Workouts. Especially if you Doing High Frequency Workouts or Train more then Three Times per Week.

David90

Also having the Workout Dialed in and doing not too much or too less Volume would be also Advisable. But it Depends strongly on Personal Preference and Lifestyle.

Dr. Mike Isratel says that in Terms of Volume, as general Guideline, we should hit at least 10 Sets per Bodypart per Week. Only Exception is for Biceps and Triceps, which COULD get away with less Volume (because they get hit indirectly from the Compound Movements). Someone can still do Workouts with no Direct Arm Work at all and could still make Progress. But in Terms of Aesthetics and Size/Strength Building, i would still do some Direct Arm Work, even tho to a lesser extent.

Matt C

Hey Hans, love your work as always man.

I got a question; whenever I have a smoothing consisting of blue berries, acai, kiwis, coconut milk, dates, gelatin, BCAAs, wheat grass mix and sometimes taurine and maca, my workouts never reflect the energy i feel i should be getting from this pre workout.

Instead I tend to feel lethargic early in my workout like i've overdone it with the fructose or maybe whatever else in my smoothie. Sometimes I would also feel light headed. Any thoughts?

Now I just have tiny amount of Oyxshred with baking soda, BCAAs, and some taurine and I feel better in my workouts.

Parrot

Only just caught up with this topic and read your article Hans - very informative as usual, thank you.

Since March when Covid hit I started to ride (bicycle) again in a small group with two other friends. We ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings at about 9.00am, each ride runs to between 25 and 30kms and covers mixed terrain but always some hills. Each ride usually burns between 1,000 and 1,400 calories.

I am 57 and haven't been super active over the last decade, apart from walking and yoga, until Covid hit. At the start I would eat a big breakfast before heading out (liver or kangaroo with bacon, carrot salad, celery, kale, egg yolk and would feel sluggish.
My regime now is 250mls water when I first get up with a 1/4 tsp of beta alanine, then another 250mls of water with 1/4 tsp of creatine and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, then about half an hour before we leave I freshly squeeze three oranges which is about another 250mls and have a tsp of honey and a tsp of coconut oil. I find this sustains me and gives me good energy for these rides.

Also, at 57 I have just started drinking coffee (mocha) after our ride and love the energy, focus and purpose it gives me. About an hour after that I then have the breakfast I was having before my ride.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good Article @Hans

I have tryed your Pre-Workout Tips too (500ml of Milk, with 20-25g of Gelatin and with Fructose, about one Hour before the Workout). Of Course it takes a while to digest because of the Milk. But i was having (surprisingly) Great Energy throughout the Workout.

My Personal Pre Workout was Mostly 4 Eggs with some Beets, Potatoes and Fruit (When i Workout in the Forenoon). Or Potatoes with Gelatin, a bit of Cheese, some Beets and some Fruit (When i Workout in the Evening).

Also i have some Orange Juice (8-10 ounces) mixed with Salt and Sparkling Water, Intra-Workout.

But i experiment more with your Honey and Milk Variation this Month and see how it goes.

PS: Now that Gyms are Closing again here in Germany do to the Incoming Lockdown for the Whole November :):angry:) i have to do Home Workout's again. Thankfully i have a Home Gym now, where i can do Bench Press (Flat and Incline), Shoulder Press, Lat Pulldown, Leg Extensions and so forth....:blush:

Same here. Having a good Pre Workout Meal and some Good Sleep the Night Before, can make a Big Differnce in Your Workouts. Especially if you Doing High Frequency Workouts or Train more then Three Times per Week.
Good stuff man. Sodium bicarb is what makes the most difference difference for me every time, combined with carb ofc.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey Hans, love your work as always man.

I got a question; whenever I have a smoothing consisting of blue berries, acai, kiwis, coconut milk, dates, gelatin, BCAAs, wheat grass mix and sometimes taurine and maca, my workouts never reflect the energy i feel i should be getting from this pre workout.

Instead I tend to feel lethargic early in my workout like i've overdone it with the fructose or maybe whatever else in my smoothie. Sometimes I would also feel light headed. Any thoughts?

Now I just have tiny amount of Oyxshred with baking soda, BCAAs, and some taurine and I feel better in my workouts.
Hey Matt, thanks for the positive feedback! How many carbs is in the pre-workout? I shoot for at least 50g, preferably with some protein as well. Perhaps the fiber is irritating you gut and dropping your energy.
Try to keep it simple with 500ml fruit juice, some BCAA, EAAs or gelatin with some sodium bicarb and see how you feel.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Only just caught up with this topic and read your article Hans - very informative as usual, thank you.

Since March when Covid hit I started to ride (bicycle) again in a small group with two other friends. We ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings at about 9.00am, each ride runs to between 25 and 30kms and covers mixed terrain but always some hills. Each ride usually burns between 1,000 and 1,400 calories.

I am 57 and haven't been super active over the last decade, apart from walking and yoga, until Covid hit. At the start I would eat a big breakfast before heading out (liver or kangaroo with bacon, carrot salad, celery, kale, egg yolk and would feel sluggish.
My regime now is 250mls water when I first get up with a 1/4 tsp of beta alanine, then another 250mls of water with 1/4 tsp of creatine and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, then about half an hour before we leave I freshly squeeze three oranges which is about another 250mls and have a tsp of honey and a tsp of coconut oil. I find this sustains me and gives me good energy for these rides.

Also, at 57 I have just started drinking coffee (mocha) after our ride and love the energy, focus and purpose it gives me. About an hour after that I then have the breakfast I was having before my ride.
Hey man, I'm glad you found it helpful.
Your breakfast seems gut-irritating with the fiber and that might be what's causing the sluggish feeling. Alternatively, protein takes a while to digest properly, so that might also put strain on your system.
When you exercise, blood flow is diverted away from the intestine, which makes it leaky. That is why toxins, such as endotoxins, can leak in and create inflammation. In a low blood sugar state, your immune system becomes hyper-reactive towards most things and you can easily get an allergic reaction.
So it's really important to have a good amount of simple carbs and protein before and during your training bout, since carbs can help to prevent leaky gut induced by exercise, thus lowering inflammation. By all means, you can have more carb, about 50-100g before your exercise session, since your glycogen stores will be low after an overnight fast as well. Then you can have an additional 50g of so as intra-workout.

David90

Good stuff man. Sodium bicarb is what makes the most difference difference for me every time, combined with carb ofc.
@Hans
Thanks. But i switched to your Style of ''Pre Workout Carbs'' for now. I try'ed it out for almost a Month. And i think i will stay with it.
It's also more Flexible that Way. Because i have Plenty of Milk, Gelatin and Honey at my Appartment and/or my GF's House. Also i got good and stable Energy from that, the entire Workout.

Also one thing i try out for now is doing ''Anabolic French Toast''.
This is a new Trend from the Fitness Youtubers at the Moment. It's Basically 4 Slices of White Toast, 1 Cup Egg Whites (or Whole Eggs), 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract (or Vanilla Sugar) and 1 TSP Cinnamon. I was skeptical at first but it's very tasty and surprisingly low in Calories. It tastes and feels almost like a Dessert :D

Soren

Forum Supporter
I go with 30-50grams of sugar and 15-20 grams of casein Hydrolysate (pepto pro). Was using highly branched cyclic dextrin until I ran out.

Sugar is 50/50 fructose and glucose so I guess it should work fine.

Markus

I do 30 g of HBCD, 5 g D-ribose, 5 g creatine monohydrate, 4 g beta-alanine, 1 g of taurine, 15 g glycerol and 1 mg of methylene blue in 500 ml of coconut water intra-workout.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans
Thanks. But i switched to your Style of ''Pre Workout Carbs'' for now. I try'ed it out for almost a Month. And i think i will stay with it.
It's also more Flexible that Way. Because i have Plenty of Milk, Gelatin and Honey at my Appartment and/or my GF's House. Also i got good and stable Energy from that, the entire Workout.

Also one thing i try out for now is doing ''Anabolic French Toast''.
This is a new Trend from the Fitness Youtubers at the Moment. It's Basically 4 Slices of White Toast, 1 Cup Egg Whites (or Whole Eggs), 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract (or Vanilla Sugar) and 1 TSP Cinnamon. I was skeptical at first but it's very tasty and surprisingly low in Calories. It tastes and feels almost like a Dessert :D
Anabolic fresh toast will definitely be a lot more anabolic with egg yolks (whole eggs) compared to egg whites. Studies show that the yolk is added anabolic effects and it's not due to the protein. It's most likely the cholesterol itself that is anabolic. There is one study that shows that cholesterol can increase mTOR, IIRC.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I do 30 g of HBCD, 5 g D-ribose, 5 g creatine monohydrate, 4 g beta-alanine, 1 g of taurine, 15 g glycerol and 1 mg of methylene blue in 500 ml of coconut water intra-workout.
Cool man. Would you say it's giving you the extra boost you need/want?

Markus

Cool man. Would you say it's giving you the extra boost you need/want?
Yeah, definitely if I do longer sessions upwards of 60-75 min. However, I do need to wait at least two hours after eating before training. Otherwise it just sits on top of the food I ate pre-workout.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals