The Best Oral Magnesium Supplement

DANIEL

Highly recommend NutraBio Magnesium's supplement: great price and ZERO excipients, just got it a few days ago for $12 on Amazon.

Not affiliated with them, just wanted to spread the word.

This company in general has very cheap prices and usually does not use excipients, which is funny when you have companies like Thorne charging way more when they put silicon dioxide and other BS in their supplements.
upload_2020-11-24_11-38-5.png
upload_2020-11-24_11-38-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-24_11-39-35.png
    upload_2020-11-24_11-39-35.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Frankdee20

Good product but for me, too low a dose... I’m requiring about 500-1000 MG daily to correct shoulder dyskinesia

LeeLemonoil

Magnesium lowers cortisol levels

Magnesium lowers cortisol levels

Here they used Mg-citrate, new one from 2020

By increasing your magnesium intake through your regular diet or supplements, you can increase the concentration of anabolic hormones like IGF-1 and testosterone, we reported earlier. But the hormonal positive effects of magnesium don't stop there. Magnesium supplementation can also lower cortisol levels, write Dutch nephrologists at the University Medical Center Groningen in Clinical Endocrinology.

Study

The researchers divided 49 healthy subjects aged 45-70 into 2 groups. The subjects in one group took a placebo every day for 24 weeks, while the subjects in the other group took 350 milligrams of magnesium citrate daily.

The supplement, which was made by the Dutch Medisan, [lab-medisan.com] provided 56 milligrams of elemental magnesium daily.

Results
During the supplementation period, the cortisol level in the experimental group dropped by approximately 32 nanomoles. This equates to a decrease of about 8 percent.

magnesium-cortisol-2.gif

The table above has been reduced. Click on it for a larger version.

Mechanism
In the body, the enzyme 11-beta-HSH-type-2 converts the active cortisol into the inactive cortisone. The enzyme 11-beta-HSH-type-1 does the opposite, converting cortisone into cortisol.

The researchers were able to deduce from their measurements of various cortisone and cortisol metabolites in the subjects' blood that magnesium supplementation increases the activity of 11-beta-HSH-type-2.

cortisone-cortisol-11-beta-hsd-type-1-2.gif

Conclusion
"Previous studies have also suggested a role for cortisol in cardiovascular disease risk", write the researchers. "For instance, excess levels of cortisol in patients with Cushing's syndrome have been linked to alterations in the vascular system, including increased arterial stiffness and impaired endothelial function."

"Our findings may indicate improved glucocorticoid metabolism induced by oral magnesium supplementation, suggesting a potential mechanism by which increased dietary magnesium intake lowers cardiovascular disease risk."

"Our results provide a basis to further investigate effects of oral magnesium supplementation on cardiovascular risk and underlying mechanisms."

Source:
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2020 Oct 8. doi: 10.1111/cen.14350. Online ahead of print.

@Amazoniac
@Mito

GenericName86

Is there any merit to, depending on how deficient you are, that supplementing with magnesium can make you feel a bit worse to begin with? I've read some people report this and the answer given is that since mag is involved in so many enzyme processes that if you're quite deficient then taking mag and jump starting all those enzyme actions can perhaps cause you to feel a bit off at first.

LeeLemonoil

If you are trly deficient with something that crucial to many proceedings then yes. Your organsims is a system that organises processes so effctively - it manages shortage sby compensating with unfeasible mechanisms, complex rearrangements. If you supply the better material to fall bac to, things have to be reorganized, get messed up initially.
It is no bagatelle. Energy, structure, reserves and commands, everything gets restructured, reorganizes, reassigned.

dukesbobby777

Is there any merit to, depending on how deficient you are, that supplementing with magnesium can make you feel a bit worse to begin with? I've read some people report this and the answer given is that since mag is involved in so many enzyme processes that if you're quite deficient then taking mag and jump starting all those enzyme actions can perhaps cause you to feel a bit off at first.

It’s also an NMDA antagonist (albeit weaker than pharmaceutical ones), so initial acute effects can be somewhat dulling.

This company in general has very cheap prices and usually does not use excipients, which is funny when you have companies like Thorne charging way more when they put silicon dioxide and other BS in their supplements.

Excipients and fillers are a real concern, for sure. Yes, I've noticed Thorne has dropped the ball on some supplements. Case in point, they started adding fillers to their Ascorbic Acid capsules, just a few months ago. But why not bypass capsules entirely and use the bulk powders (Magnesium Bisglycinate, Magnesium L-Threonate)? it's not like the taste is unbearable when mixed into a smoothie.

LA

Depends on the person. Try a few things and find out what works best 'for you' - My husband (born male) and I (born female) take different magnesium supplements. My grandfather who lived to the age of 104years took Magnesium Sulfate U.S.P. He took a pinch or more at night or sometimes a heaping spoonful once a week. I was told it varied depending on what he 'felt' he needed. Everyone is different. I take mine at night, with a glass of warm milk, before going to sleep.

frannybananny

Depends on the person. Try a few things and find out what works best 'for you' - My husband (born male) and I (born female) take different magnesium supplements. My grandfather who lived to the age of 104years took Magnesium Sulfate U.S.P. He took a pinch or more at night or sometimes a heaping spoonful once a week. I was told it varied depending on what he 'felt' he needed. Everyone is different. I take mine at night, with a glass of warm milk, before going to sleep.
So as a female which magnesium supplement do you take?

LA

So as a female which magnesium supplement do you take?
I tried all/most of them (Oxide, Citrate, Malate and various combinations) and usually used at least a half a bottle before I decided something was not for me. I now take magnesium oxide which does-Not work for all people. If I take it with a glass of room temp whole milk it relaxes me (my muscles) very well along with melatonin so I enjoy a very nice sleep.

Last edited:

Sefton10

I like this brand. Their K2 is good as well.

LA

Thanks to all for your input here.
I need it to relax my muscles / tight skin so the combination that works best for me is Magnesium (As citrate/oxide) 500 mg and I usually take 2 in the evening with milk. I have tried a few with Malate and that ingredient always upsets my stomach.
I was very happy with the old Nature's Way and then they changed to square bottles made from 97-percent Post-Consumer Recycled Plastic, which has a horrible odor. It was so bad that I was able to get a refund on my last order.
The plus for me in that brand was that they put their magnesium in gelatin caps. We are still trying different brands as their new stinky containers are not acceptable.