• Benfotiamine

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Allithiamine

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • thiamine TTFD

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

Josh

What's the best form of thiamine supplement?

Theres so many!!

Thiamine Pyrophosphate / thiamine HCL / benfotiamine / allithiamine / thiamine TTFD

I’m swaying towards the thiamine pyrophosphate, this one: https://www.metabolics.com/vitamin-b1-thiamine-pyrophosphate.html

Or for thiamine HCL: https://www.metabolics.com/vitamin-b1-thiamine-hci.html

Benfotiamine: https://uk.iherb.com/pr/Life-Extension-Benfotiamine-with-Thiamine-100-mg-120-Vegetable-Capsule/7456 OR https://uk.iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-Best-Benfotiamine-150-with-BenfoPure-150-mg-120-Veggie-Caps/42

Or is nutritional yeast enough? I just don’t want to be eating spoonfulls of that a day.

I know everyone will say diet, where i am getting over the DV for b1, but who's to know i don't have dysbiosis which is preventing proper absorption, it's just something i wan't to try out.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Its different for everyone. Some do well on HCl, while others thrive on TTFD. Benfo is a winner for others. Some seem to react to the sulfur in the TTFD which I think its possible thats the case for me. I seem to do best on HCl and Benfo along with nutritional yeast to fill in the gaps. Oh, and I do most of b vitamins topical, when ingested I find it can push gut biome in the wrong direction due to feeding of the critters (@Tarmander et el 2020). Another thing is limiting pure sugar, I think many come to Peat and "sugar it up"(table sugar) leading them to Beriberi hell. That is one thing I would have done different if I knew then what i know now, less plain sugar, and more natural sugars ala milk, fruits, honey, and maybe whole wheat rusk bread?(@paymanz et el 2020) :D

orewashin

@charlie What kind of negative reaction would one have from sulfur? Wouldn’t the same apply to epsom salt baths?

I get physically weak when I take TTFD and the vibration sensation in my feet hasn’t improved from taking it for a couple of weeks. I wonder if it’s ineffective, or if I haven’t taken it long enough.

I’m getting EMG and nerve conductance testing done in a couple weeks and I wonder if I should take TTFD to make issues stand out more, and be able to dismiss them better if it’s a CNS issue as opposed to PNS. The „paradoxical effect” of TTFD is strange and I wonder about its mechanism.

I agree with you about sugar. I consumed a lot of sugar in the long run, and I stopped recently because it’s not doing much for chronic fatigue, and thought it could cause deficiencies. I think if a person gains bodyfat from sugar, they should add something to utilize it properly, like B1.

Tarmander

Its different for everyone. Some do well on HCl, while others thrive on TTFD. Benfo is a winner for others. Some seem to react to the sulfur in the TTFD which I think its possible thats the case for me. I seem to do best on HCl and Benfo along with nutritional yeast to fill in the gaps. Oh, and I do most of b vitamins topical, when ingested I find it can push gut biome in the wrong direction due to feeding of the critters (@Tarmander et el 2020). Another thing is limiting pure sugar, I think many come to Peat and "sugar it up"(table sugar) leading them to Beriberi hell. That is one thing I would have done different if I knew then what i know now, less plain sugar, and more natural sugars ala milk, fruits, honey, and maybe whole wheat rusk bread?(@paymanz et el 2020) :D
that is interesting. How do you do Benfo topically? I would definitely be curious to try that

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
that is interesting. How do you do Benfo topically? I would definitely be curious to try that
Diluted in vodka. Gonna try MCT oil next.

@charlie What kind of negative reaction would one have from sulfur? Wouldn’t the same apply to epsom salt baths?
Body aches, and restless legs, just a blah felling. Could be refeeding syndrome, but I think possibly the sulfur.

Tarmander

Diluted in vodka. Gonna try MCT oil next.

Body aches, and restless legs, just a blah felling. Could be refeeding syndrome, but I think possibly the sulfur.
that is wild. Any idea on absorption rates? As in do you use the same dose as oral or higher?

SOMO

I would stay away from Thiamine Mononitrate because of the nitrates alone.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
that is wild. Any idea on absorption rates? As in do you use the same dose as oral or higher?
Study posted on the forum by j. showed I think it was around 90% absorption rate of b-vitamins in alcohol. So that's darn near 100%. I use a tad bit higher but not much.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States

Does anyone here have the source to Peat talking about topical application? If I recall correctly at one point he said that absorption of most vitamins topically wouldn't exceed 10% and I was very confused by this. If I am just remembering something he said incorrectly I'm sorry for the rambling lol

EDIT: as far as I can tell he was talking only about vitamin D?

I've used Thiamine HCL. Helped after workout sessions with fatigue and reducing the hyperventilation I sometimes experience from the exertion. Usually 300mg with a glass of orange juice would be effective for me.

ursidae

I’ve been relying on nutritional yeast but realising now it might not be a good source. The production process involves deactivation with heat

golder

Anyone used Thiamax and had good effects from it over and above standard B1 Thiamine?

ddjd

Josh any way you merge all the answers after posting this in EVERY SINGLE ray peat Facebook group and the forum lol.

golder

I’ve been taking it. It’s strong enough to paralyze me after I take it, so I guess it works.
Paralyse? Isn’t vitamin B1 supposed to have a mildly energising effect? This sounds a bit worrying. Does 500mg of Thiamine paralyse you in the same way 200mg of the Thiamax does?

orewashin

Paralyse? Isn’t vitamin B1 supposed to have a mildly energising effect? This sounds a bit worrying. Does 500mg of Thiamine paralyse you in the same way 200mg of the Thiamax does?
Code:
What are the side effects?

Initially some people can experience a “paradoxical reaction”with thiamine supplementation. This might include a temporary period of increased fatigue, brain-fog, and poor concentration. This reaction usually subsides within a few weeks.

Objective Nutrients - Thiamax

Code:
How many capsules shall I take to begin with?

For people who have never taken thiamine TTFD before, it is best to start with half or quarter of a capsule. This can be done simply by opening a capsule and emptying a portion of the contents into a cold drink or cold food.

I've been just taking one capsule at once, daily with my other B vitamins for the past few weeks. People have recommended that I start lower, but I don't really feel like emptying a capsule, and I can still do things on my phone in this state, although walking around is a different story.

At first, I was totally paralyzed for a period of time following a combination of physical exertion and taking TTFD. For maybe forty minutes or so, I couldn't even scratch an itch. But it's been improving.

I haven't taken regular thiamine, except in the B complex. It has not improved neuropathy at all. I suspect a deficiency of B6, however, that has yet to be determined.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom