The Atlantic really is wild

OP
rothko

rothko

imagine being a yuppy so devoid of character and afraid of dying that this all makes sense to you

cupofcoffee

1645385172084.png

guess who the owner of the atlantic used to hang out with?

Fred

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

haidut

Forum Supporter
imagine being a yuppy so devoid of character and afraid of dying that this all makes sense to you

I don't think those people who support the masks and mandates are doing it out of fear of dying. At least, they are not more afraid than the people who are against the mandates. Not sure how it is in the rest of the country but in cities like DC, Philly, NYC, etc the support for mask mandates seems to be due to a pure power trip. The majority of people (2/3, as the article says) sense there is a minority amongst them that won't conform, so those pro-maskers derive some kind of sick joy out of making the minority's life as miserable as possible in retaliation. As long as the unmasked are being tormented more than the masked, it is all the masked need to feel validated. Even at the height of the "pandemic" with the lockdowns in early 2020, it was blatantly obvious that the pro-mandate people did not give a damn about each other and were supporting all of the measures either because it benefited them financially or simply to abuse anybody different from them.

OP
rothko

rothko

I don't think those people who support the masks and mandates are doing it out of fear of dying. At least, they are not more afraid than the people who are against the mandates. Not sure how it is in the rest of the country but in cities like DC, Philly, NYC, etc the support for mask mandates seems to be due to a pure power trip. The majority of people (2/3, as the article says) sense there is a minority amongst them that won't conform, so those pro-maskers derive some kind of sick joy out of making the minority's life as miserable as possible in retaliation. As long as the unmasked are being tormented more than the masked, it is all the masked need to feel validated. Even at the height of the "pandemic" with the lockdowns in early 2020, it was blatantly obvious that the pro-mandate people did not give a damn about each other and were supporting all of the measures either because it benefited them financially or simply to abuse anybody different from them.
I think its both. My gf's roommates wont let me into their apt and its both a power trip and they are also genuinely afraid

OP
rothko

rothko

But I totally understand the power play side of things. These people thought they were better than the dirty trumpers or whatever and since the vax has somewhat broken along party lines (although it really hasnt that much - more around educational lines) they feel like its a great way to own those people who beat them in the 2016 election. Its a way to subjugate with a nice neat bow tied reason - "public safety"