Tetracycline Usage

peatyfoody

Hi all,

I am about to start Tetracycline for my remaining gut issues. When is the best time to take it and with/without food?!

Vinero

Taking it without food causes a larger percentage of the antibiotic to be absorbed.
Since minerals such as calcium, iron, and magnesium bind to the antibiotic and decrease absorption, it's recommended to take it at least one hour before a meal, or 2 hours after a meal.
Do you have capsules? I recommend emptying the capsules and putting the antibiotic in a glass of water, since the capsule itself contains iron oxide or other crappy material.

yerrag

Taking it without food causes a larger percentage of the antibiotic to be absorbed.
Since minerals such as calcium, iron, and magnesium bind to the antibiotic and decrease absorption, it's recommended to take it at least one hour before a meal, or 2 hours after a meal.
Do you have capsules? I recommend emptying the capsules and putting the antibiotic in a glass of water, since the capsule itself contains iron oxide or other crappy material.

I would not do that. The tetracycline, as you said, binds with calcium. The teeth are full of calcium, and tetracycline will leach the teeth.

I've experienced this already, and it's a good thing my dentist alerted me to what's going on.