Testosterone to DHT ratio is not a good marker for checking 5AR activity

Hans

Forum Supporter
People used to think that DHT was the best marker for 5AR activity, but it appears to be relatively inaccurate.

The following study found that the etiocholanolone to androsterone ratio was a much better marker.

"The AUCs (areas under the curve) of the T/DHT and urinary Et/An ratios were 57.7% (95% CI 43.0 - 72.4%, P > 0.05) and 79.7% (95% CI 69.0 - 90.4%, P < 0.001), respectively, in diagnosing 5ARD2 patients and 54.1% (95% CI 42.4 - 65.8%, P > 0.05) and 75.1% (95% CI 65.1 - 85.1%, P < 0.001), respectively, in diagnosing carriers."

T/DHT ratio was 54-58% accurate and the Et/An ratio 75-80% accurate. So it's still not perfect, but it's a lot better.

This was also confirmed that when topical DHEA was used, it didn't increase testosterone or DHT, but markedly increased androsterone and androstanediol, which are much better markers of the total androgenic pool in the body. The DUTCH test looks at both markers.

But ultimately, you want to look at a lot more than just the Et/An ratio. The DUTCH test look at over 35 metabolites of your hormones, so it's definitely more comprehensive than a blood test.

I also did a vid on this a while ago if you want to check it out.

View: https://youtu.be/QxMkbKAkTTw

Last edited:

Jayvee

Thanks Hans! Looking at doing one myself. Are you doing any more podcasts?

How would one go about raising the 5ar activity to support the metabolites of DHT?

Does increasing testosterone have a positive effect?

I've read about people claiming that reducing their hormones with anti androgens help to increase the androgen sensitivity and 5ar enzymes. Do you think theirs any truth to that?

Sadly none of these tests are probably available where I live.

As a PFS sufferer it is hard for me to quantify any progress since DHT lab test always returns low-normal (in range) but symptoms suggest it is anything but.

The only thing that somewhat seem to increase DHT in my case is sorghum, creatine and maybe zinc.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans! Looking at doing one myself. Are you doing any more podcasts?

How would one go about raising the 5ar activity to support the metabolites of DHT?

Does increasing testosterone have a positive effect?

I've read about people claiming that reducing their hormones with anti androgens help to increase the androgen sensitivity and 5ar enzymes. Do you think theirs any truth to that?
Right diet and lifestyle mainly. All supps with have a temporary effect and a lot of people just lose interest when using a supp long term.
Yes increasing T should lead to more DHT and usually the things that lead to higher T can also increase 5AR.
Testosterone and DHT increase the AR. Living a lifestyle of excitement and overcoming fear will also positively modulate the AR.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sadly none of these tests are probably available where I live.

As a PFS sufferer it is hard for me to quantify any progress since DHT lab test always returns low-normal (in range) but symptoms suggest it is anything but.

The only thing that somewhat seem to increase DHT in my case is sorghum, creatine and maybe zinc.
Can't get a DUTCH test?

Back
Top Bottom