Testosterone Question

mandance

Hey everyone...wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I was recently told, and for 2 years...that I have had a low testosterone number. I recently went to an endo doc and he only tested my free testosterone and said that my testosterone was perfectly fine...saying that the only number that matters is free T...I know nothing about this so I am wondering if Peat has mentioned anything like this or if anyone has any info? Thanks all

Among the causes for low free testosterone are low thyroid function, excess estrogen and elevated SHBG levels. From a thyroid perspective, low total testosterone corresponds to hypothyroidism while in hyperthyroidism the values of total testosterone are typically supraphysiological but compensated by high SHBG levels.

The reference range most endos use for total and free testosterone are usually not age-adjusted and are therefore overly permissive.

How old are you, are you overweight and what are you lab values? Total and free T, SHBG, Estradiol, Progesterone (8 am), Albumin are some numbers that would be helpful in gathering a more complete picture of your status.

Peat's recommendation is to take physiological amounts of thyroid, pregnenolone, DHEA and testosterone in decreasing order of preference. I suppose he would also advise raw carrots and other estrogen lowering strategies.

OP
mandance

mandance

I dont have the exact numbers but I will get them. The endo just told me everything was healthy looking. I think free T was a 6 or something. Im 29 I think my overall T was around 300 which is low. He said estrogen, prolactin and cortisol were all fine. Vit D is low on me also. But I was just curious about what he said in saying that free T numbers are the only ones that matter.

Free T is not the end all of a testosterone panel. For libido, for instance, DHT levels should be high-normal and estrogen and prolactin low.

A total level of 300 is just about the lowest acceptable (not requiring treatment) on the usual reference range. But it is pretty low and far from optimal. You want to be at least 5-600 at your age. With regards to estrogen and prolactin reference ranges endos are too permissive as well. Ray's ideal levels for prolactin are far below what's considered OK among practising endos. Serum levels of estrogen although helpful may or may not correspond to the estrogen level in tissues so they are of limited value.

Do you take a thyroid supplement?

OP
mandance

mandance

Thanks for the info, I dont right now. I will try to get my labs though. But again, my main question is still...why would an endo say free T is the main number that matters and not the other one etc.

Free- means the amount of hormone that's available for interacting with its 'receptors', and not bound up in SHBG and albumin and therefore considered inactive. So, i suppose your endo is only concerned with the 'active' amount of testosterone circulating in your system.

OP
mandance

mandance

Yeah I just wonder because even when I research...there seems to be a lot of different thoughts on this. Whether free is the number that matters, or the other one etc. I suppose its another thing I could ask RP at some point.

Jsaute21

@haidut and others; is there a place on the forum, where people's bloods are reported? Other than @tyler's awesome post, i haven't seen a whole lot of "proof in the pudding" type numbers that demonstrate healthy rises in androgen levels.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut and others; is there a place on the forum, where people's bloods are reported? Other than @tyler's awesome post, i haven't seen a whole lot of "proof in the pudding" type numbers that demonstrate healthy rises in androgen levels.

I don't know that there is such a dedicated place. Maybe @charlie has a suggestion or comment on that. I suspect there may be legal risks with posting blood results on the forum on a mass scale as they are all HIPAA protected data and even if people voluntarily submit them the forum owner can still be held responsible or asked to comply with HIPAA, which is a nightmare as I have done it for a few clients and know first-hand.

Jsaute21

Ahhh makes sense @haidut. I don't view it as an essential component of the community, just can be helpful to have some raw data to work with. Nothing compares to our own interpretation of how we feel each and every day. I feel some pro ADD effects from pansterone and stressnon. (Only 2 drops of each.) My ADD has always been a crutch, so this is pretty damn important. Beats the hell out of adderall from a long term standpoint.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ahhh makes sense @haidut. I don't view it as an essential component of the community, just can be helpful to have some raw data to work with. Nothing compares to our own interpretation of how we feel each and every day. I feel some pro ADD effects from pansterone and stressnon. (Only 2 drops of each.) My ADD has always been a crutch, so this is pretty damn important. Beats the hell out of adderall from a long term standpoint.

Excellent, good to know. I would test prolactin, cortisol, and whole blood serotonin if possible. Often the diagnosis of ADD is usually due to one of these being out of whack.

Jsaute21

Thanks @haidut. My prolactin came back at 9 (scale was 2-18) which is higher than I would like but not alarming. Cortisol for me is in a good place at 14.4 (range is 4-22.) I will look into whole blood serotonin in a couple of months.