Testosterone boost for women

Lana

How do I get a testosterone boost to help get me over a depressive period . I’m a 43 yr female . Come out of Abusive relationship

I am sorry for your plight, but happy to hear you are taking back your power and health. I have no personal experience with what you are going through, but here are some Ray Peat tips.

"Muscle protein is very rich in tryptophan and cysteine, and these amino acids suppress the thyroid gland’s function, and are potentially toxic to nerves, especially in the presence of cortisol and hypoglycemia. Tryptophan is turned into serotonin, which promotes lipid peroxidation, blood clotting, and certain patterns of nerve activity. Serotonin can suppress mitochondrial respiration, and along with the reduced body temperature that it produces, a pattern of torpor or helplessness tends to be produced.” -Ray Peat

"Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a much higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains even less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is disproportionately rich in tryptophan." -Ray Peat

"Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people." -Ray Peat

Last edited:
Here are some other quotes from Ray Peat....

"Tryptophan, from dietary protein or from the catabolism of muscles, is turned into serotonin which activates the pituitary stress hormones, increasing cortisol, and intensifying catabolism, which releases more tryptophan. It suppresses thyroid function, which leads to an increased need for the stress hormones. Serotonin impairs glucose oxidation, and contributes to many of the problems associated with diabetes." -Ray Peat

"When only the muscle meats are eaten, the amino acid balance entering our blood stream is the same as that produced by extreme stress, when cortisol excess causes our muscles to be broken down to provide energy and material for repair. The formation of serotonin is increased by the excess tryptophan in muscle, and serotonin stimulates the formation of more cortisol, while the tryptophan itself, along with the excess muscle-derived cysteine, suppresses the thyroid function."-Ray Peat

I hope some of this helps...

Peatress

Is it worth testing testosterone and DHEA in women? If so, how would the result be interpreted – is there a chart for doing so?

Peachy

Is it worth testing testosterone and DHEA in women? If so, how would the result be interpreted – is there a chart for doing so?

I had blood levels tested. The range for testosterone is 4-50ng/dL. For DHEA it’s 57.3-279.2 ug/dL.

Looking back over my labs just now, all my hormones improved after eating a Peat-style nourishing diet - TSH fell below 1. But my testosterone stayed low at 10 before and after. And DHEA went down from 160-150. Maybe just a snapshot

Peatress

I had blood levels tested. The range for testosterone is 4-50ng/dL. For DHEA it’s 57.3-279.2 ug/dL.

Looking back over my labs just now, all my hormones improved after eating a Peat-style nourishing diet - TSH fell below 1. But my testosterone stayed low at 10 before and after. And DHEA went down from 160-150. Maybe just a snapshot
Thank you - this is useful. I suspect my levels are low. I wish I had tested my hormone profile a few years ago now I am getting floppy and wondering why my muscles are disappearing. Perhaps I need to hit the weights. My TSH is good -just over 1. I don't know if to bother testing because I'm not going to supplement testosterone but I do use continon sporadically.

Beatrix_

Thank you - this is useful. I suspect my levels are low. I wish I had tested my hormone profile a few years ago now I am getting floppy and wondering why my muscles are disappearing. Perhaps I need to hit the weights. My TSH is good -just over 1. I don't know if to bother testing because I'm not going to supplement testosterone but I do use continon sporadically.
If testing testosterone, include DHT and estradiols

zwICv.jpg

Peatress

Thank you @Beatrix_ I'm not sure I will be testing as I am not sure it's money well spent seeing that I ought to be doing things that optimise my hormones regardless. In that video linked above Ray talks about exercise and testosterone.