Testicle Removed and Impact on Hormonal Health?

tom94

Hello everyone

I had a testicle removed 5 years ago due to testicular cancer.

At the time, the consultant said I had nothing to worry about and hormonally my body would continue to operate normally.

However, that was the view taken from the "conventional paradigm" (a paradigm I'm increasingly sceptical about) and I've never sought advice from more holistic orientated folk (of which I see is in abundance on here) who may have a sounder understanding of the male endocrine system and some other knowledge to offer.

My key concerns are:

- Can I produce as much testosterone as everyone else?
- Does SHGB conversion get impacted (and therefore sex drive)?
- Is there anything else I should be mindful about that I haven't mentioned?

I hope the answers will meet my prediction that I should be fine as long as i continue with adhering to the changes in lifestyle choices I've now made but if you think otherwise, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks all.

Tom

JohnHafterson

My brother had to have one testicle removed in high school because it never descended properly as a kid.

I never recall him being hypogonadal. He was a rock climber, roller bladed pretty bad **** on half pipes and street skating pretty masculine/androgenic at face value.

He did go on topical t replacement early 30s though not sure if this was related to only 1 testicle or the fact that he'd gotten pretty heavy from beer, pizza and not addressing lifestyle factors which he had been doing when younger.

I knew a guy in high school who had one ball ripped off while skate boarding some how it got stuck on a nail on a ramp. Didn't seem to effect him, he played high school sports was a pretty popular guy.

I think the body can pickup the slack in many/some cases. But I would test hormone profiles periodically just to have an idea where things are at.

Certainly control things you can like nutrient rich/replete diet, muscle building exercise, lifestyle, etc.

How you feel in terms of mood/outlook/performance is likely a good indicator of where your hormone are at though as you age you may need to pickup the slack.

Don

I think lifestyle and diet is way more important than how many balls you have. I mean you obviously need at least one of them down there.

B

Blaze

Hello everyone

I had a testicle removed 5 years ago due to testicular cancer.

At the time, the consultant said I had nothing to worry about and hormonally my body would continue to operate normally.

However, that was the view taken from the "conventional paradigm" (a paradigm I'm increasingly sceptical about) and I've never sought advice from more holistic orientated folk (of which I see is in abundance on here) who may have a sounder understanding of the male endocrine system and some other knowledge to offer.

My key concerns are:

- Can I produce as much testosterone as everyone else?
- Does SHGB conversion get impacted (and therefore sex drive)?
- Is there anything else I should be mindful about that I haven't mentioned?

I hope the answers will meet my prediction that I should be fine as long as i continue with adhering to the changes in lifestyle choices I've now made but if you think otherwise, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks all.

Tom
If you don't have any low androgen symptoms I would not worry about it. Bruce Lee essentially had 1 testicle, the other never descended, and never had any androgen issues. Testing your hormone levels is a good option if you are concerned about it.

My younger brother also had 1 of his removed and has no hormonal or libido problems.

Attachments

• bruce-lee.gif
    bruce-lee.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tom94

If you don't have any low androgen symptoms I would not worry about it. Bruce Lee essentially had 1 testicle, the other never descended, and never had any androgen issues. Testing your hormone levels is a good option if you are concerned about it.

My younger brother also had 1 of his removed and has no hormonal or libido problems.
Thanks for this Blaze. He's certainly a bit of legend so that's reassuring to learn for sure! Glad to hear your brother had no hormonal or libido problems. That gives me some confidence too. I guess all I can do is make sure my lifestyle is tightly dialled in and get tested periodically. I think that's my key takeaway from this.

OP
T

tom94

My brother had to have one testicle removed in high school because it never descended properly as a kid.

I never recall him being hypogonadal. He was a rock climber, roller bladed pretty bad **** on half pipes and street skating pretty masculine/androgenic at face value.

He did go on topical t replacement early 30s though not sure if this was related to only 1 testicle or the fact that he'd gotten pretty heavy from beer, pizza and not addressing lifestyle factors which he had been doing when younger.

I knew a guy in high school who had one ball ripped off while skate boarding some how it got stuck on a nail on a ramp. Didn't seem to effect him, he played high school sports was a pretty popular guy.

I think the body can pickup the slack in many/some cases. But I would test hormone profiles periodically just to have an idea where things are at.

Certainly control things you can like nutrient rich/replete diet, muscle building exercise, lifestyle, etc.

How you feel in terms of mood/outlook/performance is likely a good indicator of where your hormone are at though as you age you may need to pickup the slack
Thanks John. This was really helpful. Appreciate the insight. I think you are right. All I can do is make sure my lifestyle is tightly dialled in and get tested periodically to keep on top of things and then make adjustments or maybe TRT if I need to.