Test Of Understanding - Energy Metabolism For A Dummy

Mito

So, what can we do to lessen aerobic glycolysis and increase oxidative metabolism?
I don't think you want to lessen glycolysis. Rather you want glycolysis to make pyruvate that converts into Acetyl-CoA instead of converting to lactate. By "oxidative metabolism", I assume you mean the TCA cycle and electron transport chain. To get to the TCA cycle (and then electron transport chain) from glycolysis, pyruvate must get converted to Acetyl-CoA (and not to lactate). A major contributor to the conversion is the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH). So things that increase PDH enzyme activity (and don't increase the enzyme lactate dehydrogenase) are probably important.

IMG_0748.JPG

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don't think you want to lessen glycolysis. Rather you want glycolysis to make pyruvate that converts into Acetyl-CoA instead of converting to lactate. By "oxidative metabolism", I assume you mean the TCA cycle and electron transport chain. To get to the TCA cycle (and then electron transport chain) from glycolysis, pyruvate must get converted to Acetyl-CoA (and not to lactate). A major contributor to the conversion is the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH). So things that increase PDH enzyme activity (and don't increase the enzyme lactate dehydrogenase) are probably important.

View attachment 6115
Thanks mito. I'm getting warmer!