Test For Estrogenic Activity And Prostate Cancer

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Matty D said:
post 112615 What a great thread friends. So much value. :): Thank you all! :hattip
Thanks for bumping this Matty D!
Update on my dad: He has had some improvements that coincide with making a couple small changes recently. I mailed my dad some energin and estro-ban that I had on hand in early October and he started talking a half dose of each along a 325 mg aspirin daily. He isn't yet comfortable with the idea of hormonal supplements but did take to the idea of managing estrogen with vitamins and aspirin. In November he went for his 6 month checkup with the urologist and I can hardly believe it myself but his PSA had gone down by .7 (from 4.8 to 4.1)! This isn't huge but it's something because it is now .1 below what it was when he was originally diagnosed and he feels good. The urologist of course wasn't convinced that what he was doing could have any effect on his prostate cancer and insisted on doing a biopsy because it had been 5 years since his last one. My dad refused the biopsy, some unpleasant exchange occurred and he fired the urologist and decided to just monitor the PSA in the future through his family doctor. :lol: He wants to discuss all the information I've sent him when we get together over the holidays. I will try to update here with any new developments. Oh, and he is still drinking beer but has cut it down by about half according to my mom. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
post 112647
Matty D said:
post 112615 What a great thread friends. So much value. :): Thank you all! :hattip
Update on my dad: He has had some improvements that coincide with making a couple small changes recently. I mailed my dad some energin and estro-ban that I had on hand in early October and he started talking a half dose of each along a 325 mg aspirin daily. He isn't yet comfortable with the idea of hormonal supplements but did take to the idea of managing estrogen with vitamins and aspirin. In November he went for his 6 month checkup with the urologist and I can hardly believe it myself but his PSA had gone down by .7 (from 4.8 to 4.1)! This isn't huge but it's something because it is now .1 below what it was when he was originally diagnosed and he feels good. The urologist of course wasn't convinced that what he was doing could have any effect on his prostate cancer and insisted on doing a biopsy because it had been 5 years since his last one. My dad refused the biopsy, some unpleasant exchange occurred and he fired the urologist and decided to just monitor the PSA in the future through his family doctor. :lol: He wants to discuss all the information I've sent him when we get together over the holidays. I will try to update here with any new developments. Oh, and he is still drinking beer but has cut it down by about half according to my mom. :)

This is excellent news! Btw, high PSA is caused by high estrogen so I am not surprised it dropped by using aspirin and the vitamins. Estrogen is the real culprit in prostate cancer and can activate the androgen "receptor" even in the absence of androgens (due to castration or drugs). Testosterone and especially DHT are the good guys actually. Here is something to send your dad and his doctor.
http://www.jbc.org/content/272/11/6838.full
"...The gene for prostate-specific antigen (PSA) contains an androgen response element. After binding its cognate ligand, the androgen receptor (AR) interacts with this response element to initiate PSA mRNA transcription (20, 21) and secretion (22, 23). We show that, in the absence of androgens, E2 in concert with SHBG·RSHBG, acts at the cell membrane to cause secretion of PSA and that this effect is blocked by anti-androgens. This observation provides a first functional link between a classic steroid hormone receptor and a cell membrane-mediated steroidal effect."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... .26136/pdf
"...At univariate analysis, continuously coded E2 was not associated significantly with HGPCa (odds ratio [OR], 1.009; P¼.25), whereas patients with E2 levels >= 50 pg/mL had a 3.24-fold increased risk of HGPCa (P<.001). At multivariate analysis, E2 was associated significantly with HGPCa both as a continuous predictor (OR, 1.02; P ¼ .04) and as a categorical predictor (OR, 3.94; P<.001) after accounting for other variables. Conversely, tT and SHBG levels were not associated significantly with HGPCa. CONCLUSIONS: E2 was associated significantly with pathologic HGPCa, whereas SHBG and tT failed to demonstrate any association with HGPCa in patients who underwent RRP[/color]."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Haidut, a simple thank you just doesn't quite convey how grateful I am for all the valuable information. How about a virtual group hug from me and my dad! :grouphug2

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
post 112669 Haidut, a simple thank you just doesn't quite convey how grateful I am for all the valuable information. How about a virtual group hug from me and my dad! :grouphug2

Thanks Blossom, it warms my heart :-D
Your dad's continued improvement and thus public validation of Ray's ideas would be the best reward for me.

Matty D

Haidut - You are a hero. I am learning so much through these posts.

Thank You. Rock on' :rockout

milk_lover

Blossom said:
post 112647
Matty D said:
Congratulations Blossom for your father's improvement. I am so happy even though I don't know you or your father personally :D I think something in Peat food makes me love all humans--except when I am busy at work, then I hate everybody :lol:
Haidut, you're an awesome human being. Everybody here learn from your vast knowledge and the studies you post in the forum. :hattip

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 112703
Blossom said:
post 112647
Matty D said:
Congratulations Blossom for your father's improvement. I am so happy even though I don't know you or your father personally :D I think something in Peat food makes me love all humans--except when I am busy at work, then I hate everybody :lol:
Haidut, you're an awesome human being. Everybody here learn from your vast knowledge and the studies you post in the forum. :hattip

Thank you, thank you! :hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom, :woo

haidut, :hattip

SQu

Update on my dad: He has had some improvements that coincide with making a couple small changes recently. I mailed my dad some energin and estro-ban that I had on hand in early October and he started talking a half dose of each along a 325 mg aspirin daily. He isn't yet comfortable with the idea of hormonal supplements but did take to the idea of managing estrogen with vitamins and aspirin. In November he went for his 6 month checkup with the urologist and I can hardly believe it myself but his PSA had gone down by .7 (from 4.8 to 4.1)! This isn't huge but it's something because it is now .1 below what it was when he was originally diagnosed and he feels good.
How's your dad doing now, Blossom? My dad just got a high PSA reading following an episode of pain in his lower abdomen. Has had symptoms for years ie frequent urination. Has now been referred to a urologist but we hope to manage it down peatily.
Blossom, if I can get my father (who has BPH) to take Nettle Root (an aromatase blocker) there is hope....and not suggesting you do so with your father. He is 88 and goes through bouts of no drinking and is quite happy to do so
how did that go Moss?
My dad is 88 this year, just lost my mom. Light drinker especially now he's alone. Otherwise strong and healthy, amenable to alternatives, and I do most of his cooking, so coconut oil, liver pate etc have featured strongly. I'm thinking of asking a doc for pregnenolone and progesterone for him and even thyroid. I'm considering vitex which worked so well for my prolactin symptoms. But hasn't been mentioned here I don't think.

moss

How's your dad doing now, Blossom? My dad just got a high PSA reading following an episode of pain in his lower abdomen. Has had symptoms for years ie frequent urination. Has now been referred to a urologist but we hope to manage it down peatily.
how did that go Moss?
My dad is 88 this year, just lost my mom. Light drinker especially now he's alone. Otherwise strong and healthy, amenable to alternatives, and I do most of his cooking, so coconut oil, liver pate etc have featured strongly. I'm thinking of asking a doc for pregnenolone and progesterone for him and even thyroid. I'm considering vitex which worked so well for my prolactin symptoms. But hasn't been mentioned here I don't think.

SQu I imagine it is a really tough time for you and your family at the moment. Great you are able to do some of the cooking for your father (Peatish and all) and I guess something healing for both of you in that sharing.

My father who turns 89 next month was diagnosed with BHP two years ago. The urologist was not too concerned and suggested he have another checkup in 3 years. He was initially put on Tamsulosin and thankfully no longer takes the medication and doesn't seem to have any problems currently.
Not sure if you are asking about Nettle? I cannot be sure if it had any direct impact as there were other herbs in the mix. He takes aspirin daily and has done for the best part of 30 years. He walks daily, lives at altitude, gets good amounts of sunshine, takes B vitamins daily, E and usually liver support such as Dandelion or St Mary's Thistle and cannot remember what else. The one pharmaceutical he does take is blood pressure meds and occasionally the herb mixes I send him (they live in Europe). He drinks a couple of coffees a day and eats well.
He routinely will go off alcohol for months at a time, I think largely to try and curb his wife's drinking.
I've not tried Vitex in this instance and no reason why you couldn't try it. Vitex will address progesterone deficiency states and has hormonal balancing characteristics as you have found out. I would really encourage aspirin for your Dad.
I wish you well and that you keep some energy for yourself too.

SQu

Thank you Moss. Yes it is healing. Thanks for that thought. It has been healing for me just as much as for him. That's how love is supposed to be, isn't it? It was demoralizing being unable to help my mom and in laws, watching the inevitable unfold. But my dad is open minded. He's already done well, regaining 2 of the 5 valuable KGS of muscle and bone he lost during my mom's illness. He is active, gets sunlight, lives at altitude, ( though plans to move sadly), takes Bs, but I'm thinking of adding E, maybe pau d ARCO, considering others too. And maybe an enlightened doc ( holding thumbs she is ...) Will prescribe progesterone, pregnenolone, maybe thyroid. I'd love to use aspirin but 200ug is the ceiling on k2 that i can buy. Limits aspirin.
Glad your dad is doing well. Isn't that wonderful! And what is it with these older women and drinking? That's how my mom fell.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@SQu, I've given my Dad a lot of information but for now he isn't really interested in making further changes. He's doing really well considering he still drinks alcohol daily. Even though I wish he would stop drinking I understand that he is using it as a coping mechanism at this point. He is taking care of my disabled Mom who was given only a few more years to live due to her advanced lung disease. I realize it's a heavy burden for him and I'm trying to be as supportive as possible.
I hope everything goes well with your Dad. He's lucky to have you.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@SQu, I've given my Dad a lot of information but for now he isn't really interested in making further changes. He's doing really well considering he still drinks alcohol daily. Even though I wish he would stop drinking I understand that he is using it as a coping mechanism at this point. He is taking care of my disabled Mom who was given only a few more years to live due to her advanced lung disease. I realize it's a heavy burden for him and I'm trying to be as supportive as possible.
I hope everything goes well with your Dad. He's lucky to have you.

If you can, make sure he eats 2-3 spoons of coconut oil or butter daily. That would prevent the development of liver disease. A single tbsp of gelatin would do the same. At least these are foods that he can get access to easily. Pregnenolone, in doses of as little as 100mg daily completely stops the desire to drink, so this may be something to talk to him about especially considering the good effects of pregnenolone on prostate issues.
Alternatively, thiamine and niacinamide can be used as they accelerate alcohol metabolism so it has less chance of doing damage. But that quicker metabolism may encourage more drinking, so it's bit of a moral hazard.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If you can, make sure he eats 2-3 spoons of coconut oil or butter daily. That would prevent the development of liver disease. A single tbsp of gelatin would do the same. At least these are foods that he can get access to easily. Pregnenolone, in doses of as little as 100mg daily completely stops the desire to drink, so this may be something to talk to him about especially considering the good effects of pregnenolone on prostate issues.
Alternatively, thiamine and niacinamide can be used as they accelerate alcohol metabolism so it has less chance of doing damage. But that quicker metabolism may encourage more drinking, so it's bit of a moral hazard.
Thanks @haidut, you're the best. :)

SQu

. He's doing really well considering he still drinks alcohol daily.
I understand. Wish him the best. Things got out of hand with my dad because before I could start helping him with the inflammation to lower PSA, he took pseudoephedrine while on holiday, ended up in emergency 3 times with blocked flow. Then incorrectly inserted catheter, urethra damage, and brush offs by docs led to 10 days of unnecessary suffering ,expense and nursing by me to neglect of my own pressing family issues. Finally getting proper help and while he was with me I focused on inflammation. Haven't ruled out cancer etc yet but outlook I think is hopeful. But the emergency room is just a blow off. I now think unless your arm has fallen off they send you home with palliatives and a big bill. They did not examine him or would have found catheter problem 5 days earlier. Would not admit him as over the phone the urologist said no need. I know that'll ring bells for you Blossom!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals