TERRIBLE Mucous Smell

iLoveSugar

I'm curious as to what it means when someone has an extremely foul smelling mucous. It smells when nose breathing. It's very bad smelling when I blow my nose. I had nose surgery about a month ago and this has been terrible of late.

An infection. Years ago, I was traveling and got a sinus infection. I went to an old-school doctor, and he smelled around my nose and diagnosed the infection.

Vinny

Yes, you have buggies in the nose. Tell your doc.

I managed to partially clean my sinus infection with doxy, it took the smell away, but didn't cure it completely. 2 weeks of mino cleaned it fully. Unfortunately it came back after flu. I need to take mini again I guess.

You have to take this infection seriously because it can easily turn into meningitis. From nose to brain the way is too short.

you could try a neti pot rinse with antibiotic water. That has a tendency to help a lot.
I disagree. Bacteria in water can get into brain much easier this way.

I disagree. Bacteria in water can get into brain much easier this way.

i've had good results.

It doesn't go very far when you do this, and capillary action and cilia move it up into the sinus cavities. I think it's very helpful and not dangerous at all.

Parrot

I have a history of sinus issues and suggest the netti pot may help, however make sure you use filtered water, boil it, let it cool a little and then add a saline solution. This ensures the water is a lot more pure than straight tap water.

Zpol

Xlear, Xylitol Saline Nasal Spray, Fast Relief, 1.5 fl oz (45 ml)

I’ve been having success with preventing infections using this nasal spray. If you are already infected though you will probably need an oral antibiotic as others have mentioned.
Thank you for suggesting this!
I had that weird smell in my nose as the OP experienced. I had been dealing with a sinus infection since last October. It was been maddening. Nothing was working. I tried Neti pot, baking soda / saline rinses, nasal irrigations, allergy meds, not even Penicillin worked to clear the infection (although, I believe the Penicillin helped to prevent it from worsening). Based on the above comment I decided to give the Xlear a try it a try and it worked!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I had that weird smell in my nose as the OP experienced. I had been dealing with a sinus infection since last October. It was been maddening. Nothing was working. I tried Neti pot, baking soda / saline rinses, nasal irrigations, allergy meds, not even Penicillin worked to clear the infection (although, I believe the Penicillin helped to prevent it from worsening). Based on the above comment I decided to give the Xlear a try it a try and it worked!
Awesome, so glad to hear it!

Summer

Did you use the spray or the rinse? I’ve had the same problem for far too long.

Zpol

Did you use the spray or the rinse? I’ve had the same problem for far too long.
The Xlear spray is what worked for me; the exact one that Blossom linked to above. I use it once in the morning before getting in the shower (the steam increases the effect a bit) and once at night.

Summer

The Xlear spray is what worked for me; the exact one that Blossom linked to above. I use it once in the morning before getting in the shower (the steam increases the effect a bit) and once at night.
Thanks!