Terrible Hair Loss After Supplementing Selenium?

ddjd

Anyone else had a huge amount of shedding after supplementing Selenium.

I took 200mcg Now foods yeast free selenium.

Any input appreciated

Peatful

How long after?

How are your temps?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

How long after?
in all other respects i feel good. very warm from it. good mentally/physically. But im just pulling out so much hair...not clumps but its just shedding so much

kicked in a few hours after taking it and 24 hours later still got it.

Peatful

I don't have enough data.
With what I have... No. It is not the selenium.
If you had a big metabolic shift, toward one way or the other, that makes more sense to me.
The telogen hair cycle is ~90 days I may add...

encerent

can you estimate how many strands of hair you lose / a day on selenium supps?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

can you estimate how many strands of hair you lose / a day on selenium supps?
normally id say i lose about 50 hairs a day. after this selenium supp it went up to maybe 300.

I took cyproheptadine as an emergency measure which stopped it thank god.

the thing is i know what causes my hair loss so well now, and its always related to serotonin and histamine issues. so somehow the selenium must have raised either histamine or serotonin. but ive no idea why it would do that.

If you had a big metabolic shift, toward one way or the other, that makes more sense to me.

have you heard anything about selenium rasing histamine or serotonin?

Peatful

normally id say i lose about 50 hairs a day. after this selenium supp it went up to maybe 300.

I took cyproheptadine as an emergency measure which stopped it thank god.

the thing is i know what causes my hair loss so well now, and its always related to serotonin and histamine issues. so somehow the selenium must have raised either histamine or serotonin. but ive no idea why it would do that.

have you heard anything about selenium rasing histamine or serotonin?
I have not.
But...what we do know is that supplements can cause gut irritation.....

I took 400mcg selenomethionine for several months and my hair thinned out during that time, and then thickened up afterwards. I can't say for sure if it was the selenium because I was also doing other things simultaneously.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I took 400mcg selenomethionine for several months and my hair thinned out during that time, and then thickened up afterwards. I can't say for sure if it was the selenium because I was also doing other things simultaneously.
interesting. so overall did you have more hair or less after that period? thanks

interesting. so overall did you have more hair or less after that period? thanks

It's hard to say, I was busy with work and not paying very close attention. If I had to guess, after stopping the selenium and the other things I was trying at that time, I'd say my hair thickened up over the following year to almost what it was before. I doubt it was thicker. It might not have had anything to do with the selenium though because I had lowered my ferritin way too much.

fradon

you've taken too much. that is a warning when eating BRAZIL nuts because they are super high in selenium. Too much kicks out zinc.

Vinero

Lots of food contain plenty of selenium like shellfish, beef, eggs etc.
Why do you supplement selenium?
Hair shedding because of a supplement is a good reason to stop it.

Lutzzy

I doubt it was the selenium, as one of the great things for growing hair is a onion pack on hair for a few weeks will really thicken hair and make it grow. But what do I know I did hair for 50+ years and taught Cosmetology. My niece had her tonsils out at 5 and lost most of her hair from surgery and we washed her hair in Glovers mange cure for a few months and now as an adult 55 she has lots of hair. Daddy put sulfur & oil on dogs with mange when I was a child before we knew about Glovers and their bald spots regrew hair. Most often thyroid is shedding hair. My dog was shedding a lot and I have been putting coconut oil on her food and it has lessened the fallout. But most minerals do best with other minerals that work together like zinc- copper- selenium......

OP
ddjd

ddjd

you've taken too much. that is a warning when eating BRAZIL nuts because they are super high in selenium. Too much kicks out zinc.
Kicks out zinc?? I thought it kicked out iodine...

Lutzzy

Dr Carrow put me onto the shot glass brigade...a shot glass of hot sauce, one of magnesium, molasses, and many do a vinegar......Vitamins and minerals work as catalyst together to work, if you get things out of balance, they do not work well. Vitamins and minerals can be obtained from food like zinc from sunflower seeds...I think it is Abion that has liquid mineral solution with many minerals. Sea salt and Himalayan salt have upwords of 85 minerals so these would be better choices. There are labs that test your hair for minerals. Another thing people forget to do is enzymes, starting out every meal with a raw salad . Remember the old test for vitamins..put your vitamin in a glass with vinegar and water and see if your stomach acid can break it down. Some are so compacted that you would need a sledge hammer to break them. Your stomach, if acid and enzyme deficient will send it to the toilet without getting any benefit from it. John Wayne had 50 #s of fecal matter in his looks like 9 months pregnant belly. That is why I like liquid vitamins. You also have to look at the additives..Titanium dioxide? Silicon dioxide? Give me a break they may keep the pill for 5 years in the bottle from getting sticky or becoming hard but you can never digest some of these additives and preservatives...polysorbate 80, antifreeze in ice cream and so many are in words most people will not look up. Where did you get Brazil nuts from ? Were they laced with pesticides? I ate a ton of them growing up but hard to find them now, except at Christmas time in stores and the ones in the health food stores are old and rancid....I still think everything in moderation as too much wine makes you drunk, too much citrate of magnesium will keep you in the john all day, too much fresh pineapple will make your tongue raw.

Arrade

hair cycle is bs when it comes to hairloss or regrowth.

Selenium is usually taken with iodine and vitamin C.
Shifting thyroid levels will cause hair shed, which selenium acts on.

Peatful

hair cycle is bs when it comes to hairloss or regrowth.

Selenium is usually taken with iodine and vitamin C.
Shifting thyroid levels will cause hair shed, which selenium acts on.
Interesting.
So you think it hits anagen as well?
We agree that the thyroid causes shedding- but I thought there was something to the die now (don’t grow) and fall out ~90 days later.
Confused as how with chemo poisoning it takes ~10 days to loose anagen (and telogen) hairs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals