Terrance McKenna The Eugenicist? Psychedelics, Feminism And Transhumanism

Waynish

It could be, but it seems to me that Buddhism and Hinduism provided an extremely useful tool for the ruling elite of India to maintain control over millions of ill fed and starving peasants. Keep in mind that India had/has an extremely rigid caste system where the vast majority of people are looked upon as no better than animals, and some even worse aka the untouchables. What better way to maintain this mental gulag then to brainwash the people into believing that all suffering is illusion. Moreover it is taught to not worry about this life because next time around you may be born into a higher caste. That is as long as you don't cause any trouble this time around and ruin your karma. Seems like a complete mind f@ck to me.

I can see that perspective, but it is important to discern between the outer trappings of these religions (this is even the language that they use) and the core teachings that those outer trappings attempt to transmit. If you have experienced how powerful some of the methods in these traditions can be - more so that one's diet, for example - then discerning between their potential and fraudulent implementations becomes essential.

Buddhism doesn't say things will necessarily get better when you are dead - and I doubt Hinduism does either (one might consider Yoga sutras as a source for this claim).

x-ray peat

I can see that perspective, but it is important to discern between the outer trappings of these religions (this is even the language that they use) and the core teachings that those outer trappings attempt to transmit. If you have experienced how powerful some of the methods in these traditions can be - more so that one's diet, for example - then discerning between their potential and fraudulent implementations becomes essential.

Buddhism doesn't say things will necessarily get better when you are dead - and I doubt Hinduism does either (one might consider Yoga sutras as a source for this claim).
I agree. I am sure that their is real value in their teachings but it has been used like most religions. Like @Travis said Christianity also has a lot of that going on in it as well. As a believer I try to avoid the bad and just take the good, as best I can figure that out.

Both Buddhism and Hinduism teach reincarnation. So the promise of a better life is always one turn of the wheel away. Of course in Buddhism the goal is to stop the wheel all together.

I agree. I am sure that their is real value in their teachings but it has been used like most religions. Like @Travis said Christianity also has a lot of that going on in it as well. As a believer I try to avoid the bad and just take the good, as best I can figure that out.

Both Buddhism and Hinduism teach reincarnation. So the promise of a better life is always one turn of the wheel away. Of course in Buddhism the goal is to stop the wheel all together.
Fair enough. Look, I'm reading the books you linked on Jesuits. You should read CTMU in return :cool (it's in my forum signature) (btw it resolves mind vs matter, proves God logically and cannot be refuted :cool ) have fun

Waynish

Both Buddhism and Hinduism teach reincarnation. So the promise of a better life is always one turn of the wheel away.

This is one of the examples I would use to differentiate between cultural buddhism and anything original (my citation would be the Pali cannon). Buddhism seems to not "teach" reincarnation because it explicitly discourages acting on "knowledge" that is outside of one's direct experience. Also the teachings of impermanence go against most descriptions of soul rebirth.

x-ray peat

Only 52 pages + citations to know the ultimate fabric of reality :cool (he actually has more papers if you want)
Do you have a link?
This is one of the examples I would use to differentiate between cultural buddhism and anything original (my citation would be the Pali cannon). Buddhism seems to not "teach" reincarnation because it explicitly discourages acting on "knowledge" that is outside of one's direct experience. Also the teachings of impermanence go against most descriptions of soul rebirth.
Well I never said it was 100% internally consistent.
Just google Buddhism and reincarnation. The only escape is Nirvana which very few realize.
edit:
Rebirth (Buddhism) - Wikipedia

I looked into it some more and it seems that you are right that they don't teach soul rebirth as there is no Atman or soul. However it seems that they do teach a form of reincarnation in that your Karma will influence your next life. I am sure that this has been useful to keep the poor in line.

Last edited:
Last edited: