Terrance McKenna The Eugenicist? Psychedelics, Feminism And Transhumanism

LUH 3417

a lot of posts on this forum advocate for LSD and psilocybin use as an alternative therapy for depression or other ailments. When reading about the cultural history, certain themes begin to stand out regarding those who promote such therapies. Here Terence McKenna talks about the benefits of a one child policy, having a larger women to men ratio, and other controversial topics.

How Darwin, Huxley, and the Esalen Institute launched the 2012 and psychedelic revolutions – and began one of the largest mind control operations in history. - Gnostic Media

Do psychedelics actually have a therapeutic value or is the experience of fragmentation and sensory hallucinations so traumatizing in and of itself that you feel better afterwards simply because it's over? I've met a lot of people who advocate their usage but I can't say that any of them are better off using these drugs. Also I'm concerned because it seems like you become very vulnerable to suggestion on psychedelics. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, as this is a topic I'm very interested in.

Questioner 1:
I want to tell you little bit about its because it’s very interesting. I think it follows what you’re been talking about. I love what your ideas about collective consciousness. And I think the book describes an aboriginal tribe in Australia that has been living the way in which you’re speaking, in a collective, and what they’ve come to the conclusion of is that they can no longer procreate. Because they have recognized that they can no longer exist on this planet. And the reason they call it the mutant message is they believe we are a mutant life form on this planet that is destroying it to the extent that they can no longer continue their lineage. And it’s an interesting concept, because it’s the first culture that I know of that has selectively chosen not to breed and along with your concept of raising our consciousness so that we understand the destructive nature of ourselves, what about a parallel vision of reducing our population as these people are. Of consciously choosing not to procreate at this time?

TM: Well it’s interesting that you brought this up. Yes, I’ve been saying for some time that, ***the mushroom pointed this out to me***, if every woman had only one child the population of the planet would fall 50% in 40 years. 50% in 40 years – without war, revolution, coercion, anything else. Now when you suggest this to people they say, well didn’t they try that in China and it failed?. Yes. But you have to think about a couple of things. First of all a child born to a woman in Maui or Malibu or Manhattan, that child will use between 800 and 1000 times more resources in its lifetime than a child born to a woman in Bangladesh. Why do we preach birth control in Bangladesh? We should be preaching it on Maui, Manhattan and Malibu. Because the women in those places are highly educated, socially responsible, global people. And therefore are the population most likely to respond to this suggestion. If 15% of the women in the high-tech industrial democracies were to to limit their childbearing to one child, within 10 years certain pressure indicators on the planet would begin to move away from the red and into the black.

So I think that we have got to think with this question of population. There are clearly too many people. And one woman, one child, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist or a psychedelic advocate, to understand the impact of that. If the population of the earth was cut in half everybody alive would be twice as wealthy. It’s possible in 120 years that we could reduce the world’s population to a billion very healthy, very comfortable, very well educated people.

Ok, that’s part of what ***the mushroom said***. And that may seem radical and some circles, but not here perhaps. It also said something else which I rarely mention, ***but since you brought it up***, there are not only too many people, there are too many men [laughter]. And ***I would be very interested in seeing a set of social policies, tax incentives, medical policies, insurance policies, put in place to limit male birth***. It’s very rare in mammal populations that you have a 50-50 ratio of male to female and in fact it’s well-known that male infants are less robust than female infants. And the reason why we have a 50-50 sexual ratio is because we artificially support males, and withdraw all resources from females. I suspect in the high Paleolithic the ratio is closer to 2 to 1 [unsupported - see citations]. And my supposition and thinking about this is that probably the best ratio is about this is 3 to 1. This is the way to feminize the human race if you’re serious. This is the way to advance women if you’re serious. Then what you have is less men, women whose dedication to the reproductive activities is confined in time to the amount of time it takes to raise only one child. This would be tremendously salutary to our problems.

DaveFoster

McKenna's a deconstructionist in the most severe degree of the term, and his deconstruction of the mind itself resembles linguistics. He's extraordinarily intelligent. He's also an academic, and academics have vested interest in maintaining knowledge structures (including cultural heritages), and they're inherently against progress or change. That's part of the reason of why he has such Malthusian views of population. He has the idea that more people leads to less creativity, which has no basis in reality, and he exports his ideas to "the mushroom" to legitimize his opinions with "the ether" as their source. He said himself that he's had these ideas for a very long time.

In Peat's words, industrial and political interests have a direct conflict on interest with the ushering in of new systems of knowledge, as they must expend energy to grow and incorporate new ideas into the existing structures.

Last edited:

Herbie

At this time my theory is that psychedelics give access to the unconscious mind and that Mckenna is wrong to say that the mushroom told him so, its not the mushroom communicating to him its his own unconscious mind in my opinion.

Psychedelic consumption can allow new insights and new ideas to solve perceived problems but it doesn't mean it is correct or should be acted upon or even spoken about and should not be taken too seriously because the experiences are like dreams where they are symbolic more than they are literal in my opinion.

Mckenna's answer is poorly thought out and in my own opinion completely wrong. Leads me to think he is not as intelligent as people think he is. even to possibly consider him an idiot.

lvysaur

He's right about the paleolithic, at least in colder climates. Sexual selection on men was relaxed, and probably selection on women increased.

He's also right in practice, society would run a lot more smoothly if we had fewer males. I don't know if I'd say 3 to 1, but definitely far less than the 50:50 split we have now.

DaveFoster

He's right about the paleolithic, at least in colder climates. Sexual selection on men was relaxed, and probably selection on women increased.

He's also right in practice, society would run a lot more smoothly if we had fewer males. I don't know if I'd say 3 to 1, but definitely far less than the 50:50 split we have now.
Well y'know, if we just had another World War, the golden ratio of men:women could be realized.

Travis

Some people make the argument that McKenna was a CIA operative. I have seriously considered this idea, but after listening to a few more hundred hours of this guy I disagree.

He was too genuine. (His timewave was utter bull**** though.)

I almost always listen to McKenna when I fall asleep. I've heard it all, multiple times. There are a few new recordings that pop-up occasionally though, downloaded by the YouTube user #We Plants Are Happy Plants.

McKenna makes a few errors, but I think he's one of the best.

AJC

He's talking from the animal in man, not the divine in man. The animal in man is ashes to ashes, dust to dust and has an affinity for this sort of tribalism and non-identity; the "divine" in man (call it the Logos or what-have-you) is the Hero in a thousand myths with a real and unique individual existence in the process of becoming more than it currently is. "The mushroom pointed this out to me"--I'm sure it did, but although this may be a source of ecstatic communion with nature, it doesn't mean that its insights apply to our highest good as individual humans.

McKenna, and many other people who refer to "collective consciousness" or "collective evolution" seem to place the abstract notion of the "welfare of humanity" over the concrete reality of the welfare of the individual, as if one is attainable without the other. In other words--the individual is nothing, the community is everything. Rather than seeking individuation or personal development along constructive lines we should meld our individuality into the consciousness of the community, or nature, or etc. This is a reversion (yes, reversion) back to tribalism, where everyone follows the path of everyone else and there is no subjective concept of an "I" as a distinct entity (this was more or less the case in the past with us, before the introduction of the phonetic alphabet). This may be great for bees, a flock of birds, or even a troop of chimpanzees, but humans are none of these. The fact that an aboriginal tribe is brought up as a jumping off point for the merit of his statements more or less proves exactly the opposite (not that aboriginal wisdom is not necessary in our modern world to restore some balance, just that it shouldn't supplant the progress we have made when it comes to freedom of choice and individual autonomy.) The fact that he thinks everyone would be richer if there were less people on the globe is one of the obvious flaws in his argument, and reflects upon his reasoning...not to mention the totalitarian methods of achieving this outcome show absolutely no respect for the individual (man, why does every intellectual fall for this stuff)

With all that said, I do love McKenna's lectures on memes, James Joyce, Marshall McLuhan, and Jung--truly mind-expanding stuff--I just don't agree with the "human guilt" stuff he's expressing here.

Last edited:

lvysaur

Well y'know, if we just had another World War, the golden ratio of men:women could be realized.

You would immediately regret this decision when nukes start coming down on US soil.

Travis

...not to mention the totalitarian methods of achieving this outcomeshow absolutely no respect for the individual...
He only suggests a voluntary reduction in population (however implausible). He lived in a time where everyone thought the ozone hole was going to grow to consume half the planet. Population reduction seemed of prime importance in the '80s.

DaveFoster

You would immediately regret this decision when nukes start coming down on US soil.
Lawdy, I was being facetious. I have enough to worry about with tweaking my thyroid dose; I couldn't deal with the threat of Russian ICBM's. What if they landed on Idea Labs!?

AJC

He only suggests a voluntary reduction in population (however implausible). He lived in a time where everyone thought the ozone hole was going to grow to consume half the planet. Population reduction seemed of prime importance in the '80s.

I was referring to the suggested policies in the last paragraph; "authoritarian" probably would have been a better word choice than totalitarian, but yes, hadn't taken the time-period into account. I do agree with you: he is genuine, and I respect that very much, as well as the ideas and experiences he wrestled with trying to figure out and communicate.
You've definitely got more experience with McKenna than I do, any favorite lectures of his on youtube you recommend?

DaveFoster

I was referring to the suggested policies in the last paragraph; "authoritarian" probably would have been a better word choice than totalitarian, but yes, hadn't taken the time-period into account. I do agree with you: he is genuine, and I respect that very much, as well as the ideas and experiences he wrestled with trying to figure out and communicate.
You've definitely got more experience with McKenna than I do, any favorite lectures of his on youtube you recommend?
I'm not Travis, but 1:48:04 in the following video has a small poem that always sticks in my mind.

"That rare phenomenon
The iridule when beautiful and strange
In a bright sky above a mountain range
One opal cloudlet in an oval form
Reflects the rainbow in a thunderstorm,
Which in a distant valley has been staged,
For we are most artistically caged."

Travis

Like Ray Peat, one of the best things about McKenna is that he introduces you to interesting people. How many young people would have heard about Rupert Sheldrake, Ilya Prigogine, Marshall McLuhan, Gilbert Ling, Harold Hillman, and Alfred Korzybski (besides from Anton Wilson) if it weren't for them?

I think the best ones are The Taxonomy of Illusion and Unfolding the Stone.

AJC

Thanks--and I'm laughing that you mentioned RAW because I got those guys (throw in Reich, Leary, and Joyce) from him.

AJC

I'm not Travis, but 1:48:04 in the following video has a small poem that always sticks in my mind.

"That rare phenomenon
The iridule when beautiful and strange
In a bright sky above a mountain range
One opal cloudlet in an oval form
Reflects the rainbow in a thunderstorm,
Which in a distant valley has been staged,
For we are most artistically caged."

Man his commentary on top of the poem adds a whole new dimension to it. I've been playing with the idea lately that "meaning" (kind of in a Jordan Peterson sense) has real biological consequences, and discovering "new meanings" has the effect of energizing the organism and giving it greater coherence and order (in a Mae Wan Ho/Peat sense). People like McKenna (I include Joyce and probably Blake here too) are kind of like magicians of meaning because they offer new possibilities in perception and discovery that aren't necessarily dependent on words (like how McKenna knew what iridule meant, Joyce's and Blake's made-up words.) It's like, the value isn't in their "discoveries" but in their process, and that process can rub off on a person.

DaveFoster

Man his commentary on top of the poem adds a whole new dimension to it. I've been playing with the idea lately that "meaning" (kind of in a Jordan Peterson sense) has real biological consequences, and discovering "new meanings" has the effect of energizing the organism and giving it greater coherence and order (in a Mae Wan Ho/Peat sense). People like McKenna (I include Joyce and probably Blake here too) are kind of like magicians of meaning because they offer new possibilities in perception and discovery that aren't necessarily dependent on words (like how McKenna knew what iridule meant, Joyce's and Blake's made-up words.) It's like, the value isn't in their "discoveries" but in their process, and that process can rub off on a person.
"Our brain grows into our culture, and the culture lives in our nervous system. If a person grows up without hearing people speak, he will have grown a special kind of brain, making it difficult to learn to speak. When we ask a question and find an answer, we are changed. Thinking with learning is a developmental process."

Academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals, and science

You're very precise to say that the process of learning imparts more value than the knowledge itself. It's the incorporation of knowledge in a generative, coherent, and spontaneous way that energizes the organism, similar to Dr. Peats mention of concentric movement. The significance lies not in the weight moved, but in the movement and relative resistance to the person.

Last edited:

Sucrates

He was certainly a deep state agent involved in social engineering. There were rumours about arrests for drug trafficking, given the history of CIA with social engineering, trafficking and Cultural Marxism (OSS/Frankfurt School), it may be that he was given an option. H could also have been recruited at the "experimental school".

LSD and Psilocybin are powerful serotonin antagonists at "microdose", they do have legitimate medical uses at those doses, for things like cluster headache they're possibly the best options known. The reason higher doses are promoted is that they make people more suggestible and therefore easier to manipulate onto doing things that are against their interests.

It's not technically Eugenics he was selling though.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

He was certainly a deep state agent involved in social engineering. There were rumours about arrests for drug trafficking, given the history of CIA with social engineering, trafficking and Cultural Marxism (OSS/Frankfurt School), it may be that he was given an option. H could also have been recruited at the "experimental school".

LSD and Psilocybin are powerful serotonin antagonists at "microdose", they do have legitimate medical uses at those doses, for things like cluster headache they're possibly the best options known. The reason higher doses are promoted is that they make people more suggestible and therefore easier to manipulate onto doing things that are against their interests.

It's not technically Eugenics he was selling though.
The reason I wrote eugenicist is because of the article I posted connecting him to Huxley and Esalen, and that entire lineage of mind control. There's a very troubling letter Huxley writes about creating a revolution and social control. I guess it would be more correct to say the Eugenics of elitism rather than race.

My interest in discerning what McKennas intentions were are pretty practical. You grow up with certain heroes and they influence the decisions you make, but when biographies stop matching up, like McKenna is on the run from INTERPOL and the FBI in Nepal and then teaching about psychedelics a few years later in California, you have to wonder. Not that I idolize him but if I'm going to spend hours listening to him talk and in the back of my mind there's a question about him being part of the deep state or some sort of agent well then that's a lot of cognitive dissonance and wasted time.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

He's talking from the animal in man, not the divine in man. The animal in man is ashes to ashes, dust to dust and has an affinity for this sort of tribalism and non-identity; the "divine" in man (call it the Logos or what-have-you) is the Hero in a thousand myths with a real and unique individual existence in the process of becoming more than it currently is. "The mushroom pointed this out to me"--I'm sure it did, but although this may be a source of ecstatic communion with nature, it doesn't mean that its insights apply to our highest good as individual humans.

McKenna, and many other people who refer to "collective consciousness" or "collective evolution" seem to place the abstract notion of the "welfare of humanity" over the concrete reality of the welfare of the individual, as if one is attainable without the other. In other words--the individual is nothing, the community is everything. Rather than seeking individuation or personal development along constructive lines we should meld our individuality into the consciousness of the community, or nature, or etc. This is a reversion (yes, reversion) back to tribalism, where everyone follows the path of everyone else and there is no subjective concept of an "I" as a distinct entity (this was more or less the case in the past with us, before the introduction of the phonetic alphabet). This may be great for bees, a flock of birds, or even a troop of chimpanzees, but humans are none of these. The fact that an aboriginal tribe is brought up as a jumping off point for the merit of his statements more or less proves exactly the opposite (not that aboriginal wisdom is not necessary in our modern world to restore some balance, just that it shouldn't supplant the progress we have made when it comes to freedom of choice and individual autonomy.) The fact that he thinks everyone would be richer if there were less people on the globe is one of the obvious flaws in his argument, and reflects upon his reasoning...not to mention the totalitarian methods of achieving this outcome show absolutely no respect for the individual (man, why does every intellectual fall for this stuff)

With all that said, I do love McKenna's lectures on memes, James Joyce, Marshall McLuhan, and Jung--truly mind-expanding stuff--I just don't agree with the "human guilt" stuff he's expressing here.
That's a very good point. It reminds me of the beginning of the book Pharmakon where the writer begins to describe Ancient Greek ritual drug use. He talks about how they would brew wine with lots of different psychoactive plants (there is also archeological evidence for this) and the purpose was to strengthen the sense of collective identity and further more to promote ego death, so that when people did return to a state where they were cognizant of what was going on around them, it was the community to which they belonged. There's also a discussion about the purpose of Ancient Greek magic, which was solely to control thoughts of the individual. So essentially there is always the sorcerer or leader of the ritual who knows more than the participants and in some way has been individualized enough to take on that role.

I found the first few chapters in PDF form of you are interested

http://www.philosopher.eu/wp-conten...n_Plato_Drug_CulturBookZZ.org_.compressed.pdf

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals