Tender leafy greens what’s wrong with them?

PolishPrince

What’s wrong with tender greens if our closest ancestors also eat a lot of them? We have teeth that are perfect for grinding up some plant matter. So what’s the deal?

Lampshard

Really it's wrong to group foodstuffs into broad categories like "leafy greens" or "vegetables" instead of working case by case, but most of the usual "greens" are full of fiber that is digestible to bacteria and ends up leading to insane amounts of endotoxin, especially in a hypothyroid (as all of us are) person's slower digestive tract. I eat salads myself sometime as I like the flavor too, but it's important to reject the cultural portrayal of them as something "healthy". Human teeth are perfect for pretty much anything, I can chew through bone easily, any stories about our "ancestors" or "relatives" are a myth and Peat himself has semi-joked about chimpanzees starting as human tribes degenerating during long famines forcing them to eat leaves and grass out of desperation. Cheers.

David90

What’s wrong with tender greens if our closest ancestors also eat a lot of them? We have teeth that are perfect for grinding up some plant matter. So what’s the deal?
Some of them are bad for the Thyroid? (Goitrogenic?). So Peat does not advise to eat them (with maybe a few exceptions). I think Well Cooked Spinach with a bit of Butter should be fine. I personally eat this myself.

Perry Staltic

Nothing's wrong with them. Full of nutrients and antioxidants, and fiber for butyrate producing bacteria in the colon.

Peatful

OP
P

PolishPrince

Really it's wrong to group foodstuffs into broad categories like "leafy greens" or "vegetables" instead of working case by case, but most of the usual "greens" are full of fiber that is digestible to bacteria and ends up leading to insane amounts of endotoxin, especially in a hypothyroid (as all of us are) person's slower digestive tract. I eat salads myself sometime as I like the flavor too, but it's important to reject the cultural portrayal of them as something "healthy". Human teeth are perfect for pretty much anything, I can chew through bone easily, any stories about our "ancestors" or "relatives" are a myth and Peat himself has semi-joked about chimpanzees starting as human tribes degenerating during long famines forcing them to eat leaves and grass out of desperation. Cheers.
I meant our teeth and jaws are more suited for crushing fiber as opposed to true carnivore teeth which perform a sheering action.

Lampshard

Please cite this. It sounds completely ridiculous.
How would it sound completely ridiculous dawg that's literally Peat 101

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0_iTowDoE

I meant our teeth and jaws are more suited for crushing fiber as opposed to true carnivore teeth which perform a sheering action.

I mean I just ate a few pounds of meat just fine, I'm pretty sure I could like bito into an antelope or whatever if I wanted, but again, this is ridiculous, you should not base your nutrition on what you are "meant" to do

Perry Staltic

Dr Peat talks in generalities that apply to some things, but then some people apply those generalities to everything. Is that what you mean by "literally Peat 101"?

K

Kayaker

Are you really a Polish prince? I wasn't aware that leafy greens were popular in Poland.

K

Kayaker

Dr Peat talks in generalities that apply to some things, but then some people apply those generalities to everything. Is that what you mean by "literally Peat 101"?
True. If you're hypometabolic, your digestion is slow and fiber lingers around in your small intestine long enough to cause bacterial overgrowth, and a healthy person may not have a problem with it.

OP
P

PolishPrince

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0_iTowDoE

I mean I just ate a few pounds of meat just fine, I'm pretty sure I could like bito into an antelope or whatever if I wanted, but again, this is ridiculous, you should not base your nutrition on what you are "meant" to do

I tend to disagree with that every animal has a diet that best suits their physiology so i think there is a diet we were meant to eat. Whether or not we can eat that way in our current world is my question.

Ritchie

Nothing wrong with them. In fact Peat often recommends them and has said he eats them regularly, in the form of a broth.

Perry Staltic

True. If you're hypometabolic, your digestion is slow and fiber lingers around in your small intestine long enough to cause bacterial overgrowth, and a healthy person may not have a problem with it.

I was thinking more along the lines of treating all vegetables the same because there is some degree of anti-nutritional quality in some vegetables.

J.R.K

Nothing wrong with them. In fact Peat often recommends them and has said he eats them regularly, in the form of a broth.
This is my understanding as well with the exception of raw carrot salad, vegetables nutrients are more bioavailble if they are well cooked and then use the broth. Myself I tend to be wary of store bought broths given that many contain unsaturated fats such as canola, cottonseed and sunflower oils. Rather I go a little old school and boil a bone or pigs feet with them separate the broth cool and remove the fat after it hardens and add the remaining gelatin into my meals, this is just a new experiment but the first week seems pretty good so far.

David PS

I eat well cooked greens. I grew up eating cooked collard greens. For me it is a comfort food.

This study indicates that eating greens is associated with slower cognitive decline in the elderly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals