Ten days of complete fasting affected subjective sensations but not cognitive abilities in healthy adults - PUBMED 2021

Lokzo

Ten days of complete fasting affected subjective sensations but not cognitive abilities in healthy adults​

Abstract​

Purpose: People may be unable to obtain anything edible for days under some circumstances, but they must maintain their calmness and cognition to navigate solutions. Our aim was to study changes in subjective sensations and cognition in healthy adults during a 10-day complete fasting experiment.

Methods: Thirteen healthy male volunteers voluntarily participated in the 22-day experiment comprising 4 phases: 3 days of baseline consumption, 10 days of complete fasting (only water ad libitum), 4 days of calorie restriction, and a 5-day recovery period. The volunteers' subjective sensations, cognitive performance, and serum energy substances were measured at 6 time points.

Results: Across the 6 time points, the trajectories of subjective sensations in response to fasting were "U"- or " ∩ "-shaped curves instead of progressive discomfort or mood enhancement. A significant fasting time effect was found on depression-dejection (baseline: 16.85 ± 2.88; highest score on the third day of completing fasting: 17.69 ± 3.97, P = 0.04) and self-rated anxiety (baseline: 26.23 ± 4.75; highest score on the sixth day of completing fasting: 30.85 ± 5.58, P = 0.01), and the change curves were consistent with the inflection point of the energy substrates shifting from serum glucose to ketone. In addition, basic cognitive functions appeared to be unaffected during the 10-day fast.

Conclusions: Our study showed strong influences on the sensations from the third to sixth days of the prolonged fasting period but no significant effects on basic cognitive abilities associated with the energy substance switch. These findings could contribute to the development and understanding of survival strategies in food-shortage emergencies or of intermittent fasting
programmes.

Study Link: Ten days of complete fasting affected subjective sensations but not cognitive abilities in healthy adults - PubMed

rsandy

Fasting greatly, greatly drives CO2 production.

I am considering starting some regular fasts, maybe a day a week, for the brain and psyche-protective effects.

Nik665

Sources? Sounds interesting
Peat is against fasting for several reasons aka increased cortisol and lowered thyroid outputs why not just restrict pufa along with certain amino acids that will bring you greater benefit than pure fasting ?

dukesbobby777

Fasting greatly, greatly drives CO2 production.

I am considering starting some regular fasts, maybe a day a week, for the brain and psyche-protective effects.

Make sure you have nothing planned on those days. Well, for me, during my liver flushes, when you can’t eat for the day (until the night), it is a very miserable feeling. Maybe that it is one way of upregulating dopamine. Because eating after an extended fast is amazing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Researchers: COVID-19 Spreads Ten Meters Or More By Breathing Scientific Studies 8
yerrag Remember Peter Schiff? It's Been Ten Years Since Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 27
burtlancast PROJECT 19 (NON FULL): The Ten Most Toxic Things In Our Food, KMUD, 2009 Interview Transcript Projects 1
Dan Wich KMUD: September 2009 The Ten Most Toxic Things In Our Food KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors 6
burtlancast Covid deaths increase by 525% following 20 days of vaccination in Gibraltar Ray Peat Topics 2
MyUsernameHere Bad Jaw Pain For Days Ask For Help or Advice 6
Mauritio Drug Reverses Age-Related Mental Decline Within Days Articles & Scientific Studies 11
Twohandsondeck The Possibility Of The "catching Up" Of The Christian Church In 3 Or 4 Days Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 57
T Random Days Where I Feel Completely Empty / Numb / Dead Inside But Not Sad. What's Up? Mental Issues 9
Twohandsondeck Panera Bread Offers 32 Ounces Of Coffee Every 2 Hours For 90 Days For Free Society 1
J Taking Fat Soluble Vitamins Supplements On The Same Days In The Week Or Separating Them Apart? Vitamins 2
yerrag Happy Days Are Here Again! Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 13
emac Numbness On Left Side Of Body For Last 2 Days (20yo Male) Help? Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 9
I Women Gains 70 Pounds While Only Eating 2 Days Per Week Weight 10
jzeno Hydroxychloroquine And Now This: Anti-parasite Ivermectin Could Kill Off COVID-19 Cells In Two Days Articles & Scientific Studies 1
P My Tocovit Results After 5-6 Days Male Issues 8
Tarmander Has Anyone Actually Tried 1 Cup Of AC For 10 Days Per Month? Digestion 24
R Nine Days Of Isocaloric Fructose Restriction Reduces Serum D-lactate Levels By 50% Scientific Studies 24
haidut Endocrine Disruptors In Sunscreen Absorb Systemically And Persist For Days Scientific Studies 5
M Cronometer Prime Examples Of Perfect Days Of Eating? Diet, Recipes 4
K What Does It Mean When Your Body Feels Like It Got Hit By A Car After Low Carb For 2 Days? Ask For Help or Advice 3
A Water Retention And Potassium: Big Changes In 2 Days! What's Going On? Ray Peat Topics 5
B Anyone Else Finding Tianeptine Harder To Get These Days? Tianeptine 15
K New To Ray Peat Diet. I Have A Lot Of Constipation Last Couple Days Ask For Help or Advice 12
M Histamine Symptoms (scalp Flaking , Dermatitis, Eczema) Still Much Worse Days After Drinking Alcohol Digestion, Gut Flora 1
Luckytype I Didnt Wash My Hair For 101 Days - Remix Hair & Nails 10
cinderella New Drug To Grow Your Hair In 2 Days Hair & Nails 6
A Can't Concentrate After A Few Days If I Don't Get **** Male Issues 16
Luckytype I Didn't Wash My Hair For 32 Days. Here Is What Happened(no Shampoo) Hair & Nails 40
Luckytype 5 Days 5 Different Results - Why? Metabolism 75
A Cannot Sleep On Workout Days Insomnia, Sleep Issues 4
G Taking Progesterone For Catamenial Epilepsy, Why Days 15-28? Progesterone 7
L 20 Days Of Doxycycline - Help Welcome Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
Energizer Deprenyl Within Several Days Of MB Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Velve921 For 10 Days, I've Had The Worst Digestive Symptoms: Need Advice Ask For Help or Advice 20
A Before And After Pics Ray Peat 20 Days In Ask For Help or Advice 19
D Possibly Took 8 Days For Charcoal To Leave My System Digestion 2
Westside PUFAs Man Lives Off His Fat Stores For 382 Days Articles & Scientific Studies 8
Albina Whoa - Gained 5# In 4 Days! Diet 7
Y If T3 half-life is 2.5 days then why effects last only 4 hours? T3 4
C Suddenly Can't Digest Milk Anymore In The Last 7 Days? Digestion 9
Nicholas Digestive Enzymes For 3 Days Testimonials 11
haidut Full Tolerance To Stress Response Of Caffeine Within 4 Days Scientific Studies 11
milk_lover I ate mussels three days in a raw and I got hypothyroid! Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 12
Westside PUFAs UK man stays awake for 11 days, no stimulants. Breaking News 10
A Cyproheptadine stays in the system for 2-3 days? Cyproheptadine 3
Bodhi Eating The Whole Animal Back In The Days Containing Gluten And PUFA Health 94
S Any Suggestions To Survive The Days Following Sleepless Nights? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 58
artemis Big Bang Theory's Days May Be Numbered Science 9
haidut PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days! Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 197