Temporal Wasting/Hollow Temples

sephyr

Hey there,

I've been browsing this forum quite a lot recently as I'm being more aware of what I eat now. Peating has been a slow and gradual process over the past 2 months as I'm changing my diet. I have an issue which hasn't been covered here before since I couldn't find any threads so I thought I would make one.

I suffer from temporal wasting, where the temples at the sides of your forehead sink in and indent inwards. This is due to fat loss apparently in your temple area, making your forehead appear bigger and gives you an alien head.

A few causes of temporal wasting:

- Ageing (main cause. its usually related to ageing)
- Malnutrition
- Autoimmune disorder
- Thyroid problems

These are the main causes I've found online which frequently come up. But there isn't much information regarding temporal wasting in general it seems. I started taking Vitamins D/A/K2 supplements last week and also trying to follow other advice been given from here. Mainly because my recent blood test showed I'm deficient in vitamin D and I'm trying to improve my overall look and health in general. So face is part of that too. I'm not losing weight or anything and actually trying to loose excess facial fat; the rest of my body is fairly lean. I'm afraid if trying to lose facial fat will cause me to lose more mass/size from my temples. I'm only 19 so I don't think my issue is ageing, also I've noticed from older pictures of when I was younger that this started to happen around age 16 since. Before then in all my photos my temples appeared to be full and meet nicely with my upper jaw in a straight line. I also don't think ( I hope not) it's an autoimmune disorder that's causing this since I wasn't born with hollow temples. Unless you can develop autoimmune disorders in your teen years.

Does anyone know what I can do reverse temporal wasting? It really ruins my appearance and makes me look ill/weird. I assume it's due to malnutrition since my recent blood test shows my thyroid levels are fine too. Also around age 15/16 I started eating a lot of junk food and really blew away my diet, the same time my temples started losing mass. Though it could be just a coincidence. How does fat distribution work in your face and what foods should I eat that could help restore balance to my temples? I know it's a really and uncommon problem but thank you. I appreciate any help.

ilec

Hey there,

I've been browsing this forum quite a lot recently as I'm being more aware of what I eat now. Peating has been a slow and gradual process over the past 2 months as I'm changing my diet. I have an issue which hasn't been covered here before since I couldn't find any threads so I thought I would make one.

I suffer from temporal wasting, where the temples at the sides of your forehead sink in and indent inwards. This is due to fat loss apparently in your temple area, making your forehead appear bigger and gives you an alien head.

A few causes of temporal wasting:

- Ageing (main cause. its usually related to ageing)
- Malnutrition
- Autoimmune disorder
- Thyroid problems

These are the main causes I've found online which frequently come up. But there isn't much information regarding temporal wasting in general it seems. I started taking Vitamins D/A/K2 supplements last week and also trying to follow other advice been given from here. Mainly because my recent blood test showed I'm deficient in vitamin D and I'm trying to improve my overall look and health in general. So face is part of that too. I'm not losing weight or anything and actually trying to loose excess facial fat; the rest of my body is fairly lean. I'm afraid if trying to lose facial fat will cause me to lose more mass/size from my temples. I'm only 19 so I don't think my issue is ageing, also I've noticed from older pictures of when I was younger that this started to happen around age 16 since. Before then in all my photos my temples appeared to be full and meet nicely with my upper jaw in a straight line. I also don't think ( I hope not) it's an autoimmune disorder that's causing this since I wasn't born with hollow temples. Unless you can develop autoimmune disorders in your teen years.

Does anyone know what I can do reverse temporal wasting? It really ruins my appearance and makes me look ill/weird. I assume it's due to malnutrition since my recent blood test shows my thyroid levels are fine too. Also around age 15/16 I started eating a lot of junk food and really blew away my diet, the same time my temples started losing mass. Though it could be just a coincidence. How does fat distribution work in your face and what foods should I eat that could help restore balance to my temples? I know it's a really and uncommon problem but thank you. I appreciate any help.

Hey I have this problem, I was wondering if you found any treatment?

tara

How much are you all eating? Getting enough protein and everything else regularly?
At times when I think I've been undereating and seen a few too many ribs, my face has also lost a bit of its fullness too, including round temples. I'm assuming undernourishment or difficulty making use of the nourishment, at least in my case.
Losing muscle and fat in some places and still retaining some adipose tissue in other areas seems to be consistent with this. It's not so easy to choose where the body will catabolise in need - it will sacrifice what it 'thinks' is best for survival.
Don't know that this is the issue for any of you, just a possibility.

ilec

I have Temporalis and masseter muscle atrophy and this was most likely caused by clenching of my teeth hard at least a few times while I was asleep that led to TMJ symptoms such as facial pain, pain when chewing and I get tired very easily after chewing only a few minutes, jaw had retruded causing the bite to be out of alignment as well, so its hard for me to eat.

My cheekbones are very prominent like sticking out now and my cheeks are sunken in and the temples are sunken in like I have no flesh there anymore. My face is longer and I look like a different person. The doctor doesn't seem to have any solution except for physical therapy which I think will be useless.

Does anyone have any experience or know what I can do? I mainly need to fix my bite as it is an open bite now where only my back molars touch when I bite down and still there are gaps between top and bottom molar. And also, what can I do regarding the muscle atrophy? I did some research online and I think it is neurogenic atrophy which is caused by injury to nerves or something. Is there any medicine or anything I can eat to reverse this?

Did anyone use splints or other methods to fix the bite and jaw that was out of alignment caused by TMJ issues? The doc said my TMJ is not dislocated but seems a bit loose and I saw he wrote on the notes subluxation of bilateral TMJ.

Any info would be appreciated as it is even hard for me to talk longer than a few mins without feeling tired and I have a lisp at times, this sucks.

Alex C.

Hello , i have exactely the same problème :( . Please contact me

Hi Holly,

I've been experiencing the same thing also. I don't know if it's a muscle atrophy thing. I don't think it's a vitamin D deficiency thing because my last blood test was fine. Could you please help me out. Were you able to reverse yours? I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thank you

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did anyone use splints or other methods to fix the bite and jaw that was out of alignment caused by TMJ issues?
I used something similar to the appliance @steel_reserve linked in the below quote. That was 18 years ago and custom made for me by an orthodontist. It was very expensive but it did completely cure my TMJ issues which had progressed to degenerative arthritis in the TMJ area to the point where I couldn't eat an apple without my mouth locking up. I'm sure there are probably other options that I'm not aware of but thought I'd share my experience.

@Louise84 have you looked into the DNA appliance?

Alex C.

Thanks for the reply Blossom. Do you know if the DNA appliance can reverse the problem 100%? And where can I get it, through my dentist?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the reply Blossom. Do you know if the DNA appliance can reverse the problem 100%? And where can I get it, through my dentist?
I don't know much about that particular one unfortunately and that is why I tagged @steel_reserve. Mine was a palate expander that my orthodontist custom made for me. It did cure my TMJ issues 100%.

Alex C.

I don't know much about that particular one unfortunately and that is why I tagged @steel_reserve. Mine was a palate expander that my orthodontist custom made for me. It did cure my TMJ issues 100%.

Oh ok I see. Oh wow that's great. And you didn't have an issue with it, because I read that being an adult and having a palate expander is rare because of the maturation of the upper jaw. I guess it's based on case by case scenario? But I will ask my orthodontist if it's suitable for me, I hope so.

steel_reserve

I come from a family with jaw issues. My brothers Teeth did not touch in the middle and his upper jaw was rotated so he had to have surgery. My sister had TMJ for years but believe diet changes and therapy help with her.

My only problem was overcrowding because of a narrow palate. I had the jaw expander but this was before DNA Appliance was invented. My jaw expander was a teeth mold that was glued to my teeth and a metal crank in the middle.

I believe the DNA Appliance uses expansion pressure and vibration to stimulate bone development. The literature on DNA Appliance frequently mentions epigenetics. I would say this is an appliance that would be Ray peat friendly.

raclif

I have been suffering from similar issues too. Lost of facial and temporal fat since December 1995. My temples are sunken. I am now in my late 40's and I seem to be losing more facial fat however very slowly. I don't think it is a malnutrition problem but this has stumped me real good and I can't think of what could have caused me to get this disease or should I say disorder? I developed a heart condition in 2006 but I don't see it being related to this or the doctor would have diagnosed or said so.

giuseppecampo

I have been suffering from similar issues too. Lost of facial and temporal fat since December 1995. My temples are sunken. I am now in my late 40's and I seem to be losing more facial fat however very slowly. I don't think it is a malnutrition problem but this has stumped me real good and I can't think of what could have caused me to get this disease or should I say disorder? I developed a heart condition in 2006 but I don't see it being related to this or the doctor would have diagnosed or said so.
You have sole problem to sleep . And you masturbate a lot ? You stay a lot in computer or phone?