Tell Me More About Milk Alkali Syndrome

I eat a lot of cheese, drink a lot of milk, and use calcium carbonate (oyster shell calcium).

What is the cause of this problem and how to make sure it isn’t going to happen to me?

I suspect it has to do with consuming acids. If you don’t consume enough, and consume a lot of alkali, then at some point, there could be a terrible buffering problem and apparently it affects the kidneys and is very serious.

I drink a lot of OJ. And I drink ACV and magnesium carbonate, and oyster shell. Just want to make sure I don’t get sick this way.

Eugene

If you consume a lot of milk and cheese why go the extra mile with calcium supplements?

Hgreen56

I eat a lot of cheese, drink a lot of milk, and use calcium carbonate (oyster shell calcium).

What is the cause of this problem and how to make sure it isn’t going to happen to me?

I suspect it has to do with consuming acids. If you don’t consume enough, and consume a lot of alkali, then at some point, there could be a terrible buffering problem and apparently it affects the kidneys and is very serious.

I drink a lot of OJ. And I drink ACV and magnesium carbonate, and oyster shell. Just want to make sure I don’t get sick this way.
do you have already find a answer on you question? i am now experimenting with a high dairy/calcium diet

Last edited:

tara

I think the stories I've heard about milk-alkali have included both high calcium and supplemental baking soda.

I wonder whether the occasional UpH test woudld give nan indication if there was a trend to be concerned about. If you are reaching overload with alkaline buffers at the expense of acid, that might be reflected in a higher UpH? I think Reams approach included using 5 or 6 different forms of calcium, from food and supps. Some more neutral (eg Ca gluconate), and some more suitable when UpH was higher or lower (Ca carbonate).

Hgreen56

" The cause of milk-alkali syndrome is ingestion of an inappropriately high amount of calcium carbonate.
Ingestion of large amounts of milk or milk products is no longer a common feature of milk-alkali syndrome, and ingestion of milk and bicarbonate is now rare
. One patient was reported to have developed milk-alkali syndrome during prolonged enteral tube feedings delivering 2.1 g of calcium daily. [6] Certainly more than 4 g/d of supplemental calcium can predispose to milk-alkali syndrome."
Milk-Alkali Syndrome: Background, Pathophysiology, Etiology

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals